Public Services

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Mid.Bankopen2.2.48.jpg

BANK, MIDLAND Opened on 2nd February 1948 on Main Street under the management of Otley Branch, a small sub-branch opening Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10.30a.m. to 12.30 p.m. The sub-branch closed on 30th Dec. 1983. (Midland Bank Group Archivist). Holmes Whiteley was the first customer with R. Roberts the clerk attending the sub branch. Ernest Fisher was Manager, H. A. Parker, retired first cashier and Martin O’Brien the director of the builders and contractors of O’Brien & Richmond Ltd. (the dog – Paddy, was considered by many to be Holmes Whiteley’s best friend! He had been rescued by him after being brought into Pool police station as a stray)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Bus-Pool-1924.jpg
Karrier Bus standing outside Wharfe View c. 1924

BUS SERVICES The Harrogate & District Car Co. Ltd. ran a Karrier bus between Harrogate, Pool and Otley which began on 7th May 1924 but was not extended to Ilkley until 15 December 1924. The fare to Otley was 2d. The bus had two wooden bench seats.

A bus service ran on Leeds Road (A660) which was operated by Ledgards of Otley. Meat would be brought from Otley by the bus and be left for the villagers of Old Pool Bank at a house on Bar House Row. On 1st May 1927 Samuel Ledgard ran their first bus service from Otley to Wetherby via Pool and Arthington. (“Tracks & Roads in a Yorkshire Parish” Done Cole)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-57.jpeg
Pool-in-Wharfedale bus shelter-1955

BUS SHELTERS On 28th Jan. 1952 the local council and West Yorkshire Car Co. agree to erect two bus shelters at Old Pool Bank and in Pool. After village members (some shown on the photo) raised contributions, on 1st Feb 1954 Holmes and William Whiteley (standing at the centre of the photo) agree to complete payment for the bus shelters, finished in Dec. 1954. This became unused in 2025 when a new shelter was built after the building of Stanhope Fields..

On 25th June 1955 Holmes and William Whiteley handed over to the parish council the stone built bus shelters on Otley Road and on Leeds Road, Old Pool Bank with a total cost of £1,671.0.2d. In 1970, after continual vandalising of the bus shelters at both Old Pool Bank and Pool, the windows were replaced with armored glass

CHURCHILL FLATS built by Council in 1965 with 20 units at a cost of £38,748.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-58.jpeg
Church Room on right of photo c.1900

CHURCH ROOM or POOL PARISH ROOM Mill Lane was built as “a lasting memorial of the sixtieth year of the Queen’s reign” in 1897, where classes and meetings were held. It was intended that these would be more convenient than in the School room. Bible Classes were taught, Communicants met, Mothers’ meeting held. The C.E.T.S. meetings, the young men of the parish held their recreation club lectures and entertainments given. Meetings for political, social or religious purposes whatsoever were held provided always that such Religious purposes is connected with the Church of England and now by law established. “Meetings of Communicants or of the Temperance Society, the Band of Hope meetings, Church Lectures, Young Men’s Bible Class & Club which had met in the Half Moon. It will be well used on Sundays for the older classes of Sunday School. It is intended for the good of the Parish and for all purposes not directly of a religious character and it will we hope when completed, be available like the School room, under proper regulation to all who desire it.” A Church Bazaar was held the same year to pay off the debt of which £70 was raised. The estimated cost of the building was £250. The land, approx 218 square yards appears to have been owned by Rev. Arthur Evan Meredith to whom £30 was paid. Now a private house

DOCTORS. At the beginning of the 1900’s there were two doctors practices administering in Pool who were friendly “rivals”. Based in Otley were Dr. W.E. Bennet who retired in June 1920, followed by Dr. Galloway, Dr. Horsfall then Drs. Rushton and Rhodes, who visited Pool several times during each week, having their surgery in Fir Tree Cottages. These were demolished c 1960 and the Shell garage is on the site. When their surgery was no longer in Pool the post office on Main Street was used as a “calling house”. This enabled messages and prescriptions to pass between doctor and patient. They were part of what we now know as the Charles St. practice. There is a brass plate taken from outside the Post Office in our possession.

The other doctors were part of what is called the Bridge Street practice. Around 1912 Dr. Hermon Wolfe was practitioner, retiring in 1953. There was an old Dr. Hunter who lived in the Shrubberies (now Penndene) who had very few patients and no surgery, his patients eventually became part of the Bridge Street practice. When Dr. Metcalfe first arrived in Pool in 1955 the surgery was held in the Half Moon which at that time was still a temperance hotel, called the Riverside Hotel. The waiting room was under the stairs!. The rent for holding the surgery was 12/6d per week. (John Metcalfe see “Families“).

Other accommodation used later was the old Church room on Mill Lane and the Methodist Fellowship Room.

In the early 1900’s Mrs Robinson, the midwife, lived in Bramhope . When she was required to administered to the ladies in Pool a message had to reach her, usually on foot and then walked down to the village via Staircase Lane.Nurse Price became Pool’s own nurse c. 1910. In 2002 we drive to Bramhope or Otley to visit the doctor. There is no longer a surgery in Pool, this closed in 1994.

Otley Fire Brigade Charges 1909

FIRE SERVICE The fire service was supplied by Otley Fire Brigade but on 23rd April 1910 W. Denton, Clerk of the Parish Council of Pool notified property owners in the Township of Pool that unless they notified Otley U.D.C. that they intended to pay for the service, before a fire occurred, all applications for the services of the Brigade would be ineffective when called upon to attend . (see notice below). This applied to all the U.D. and Parish Councils within six miles of the Otley Market Place.

The scale of charges are shown above.

Under no circumstances would the Brigade and Engine go beyond six miles from Otley Market Place.” This scale of charges was dated 26.5.1909.

Rules of Attendance in 1910

For use of the fire engine in 1922 the PPC paid £8 per annum.

In 1883 Otley acquired a new steam fire engine which was ready for rapid ignition. (Wharfedale Observer)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Gas-North-Sea-pipe-line-2013-2-1024x768.jpg
North Sea Gas main

GAS The main North Sea high pressure gas pipe line was laid to the west of village in the mid 1970’s.

Gas was only laid in Pool in the mid 1980’s when pressure was put on the Gas Co. to lay gas to the village by several large developers (i.e.Redrow). The pipe was laid from Bramhope down Staircase Lane to a pressure valve alongside the bus stop on Pool Bank New Road.

HISTORY OF POOL GROUP (HOP) The first meeting was held on 21st June 2001 consisting of a group of nine interested villagers wishing to learn and contribute to the history of Pool. Within 3 years the group had 25 members. First started by Pat Lazenby until 2007 when Mike Woodall took over enabling Pat Lazenby to concentrate on adding any further research to the Pool Archives. Profits from the sale of books produced was shared between the charities McMillan Cancer Relief and Pool-in-Whaarfedale village Hall. Each year consisted of local walks, talks, displays at Pool Feast, and visits to local houses and museums, also many talks and films on Pool village history. There were approximately 6 meetings held each year. Disbanded 2015, Residue money donated to Pool Archives and later the upkeep of the web site.

Motto: Collect, record, preserve, inform.

Aim: 1. To collect and record, through members input, as much historical information both local and nationally.

  1. To inform the villagers and outsiders of our ancient village.
  2. To set up a village archive to preserve records and artifacts for future generations.
  3. To be non profit making, keeping subscriptions to a minimum, in order to encourage anyone to join. (£5)
  4. To map out and provide information for Leeds City Council Conservation Team for them to make Pool-in-Wharfedale in a conservation area. (This was achieved on 9th Sept. 2009)
1933.Stone laying of the Jane Whiteley Memorial homes.
Back l to r Holmes, W.L. and William Jnr. with families.
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Whiteley-JaneMem-Hom.Opening-9thJune1934-1024x805.jpg
Jane Whiteley Memorial Homes opening 29.6.34
Cover for the inauguration service held in the quadrangle of the Homes.
An early photo of Jane possible taken around her wedding to W.L.Whiteley in Bolton Abbey church in 1877

JANE WHITELEY MEMORIAL HOMES, Church Lane (old name “Sludge Lane” or Lodge Lane) are four cottage homes for aged members of Pool, built in 1933 for Mr. W.L.Whiteley on land given by him, as a “perpetual memory to his wife Jane in so practical a manner.” The remainder of the land given to Pool Parish church for an extension to the grave yard. Originally the homes provided rent free accommodation with preference to pensioners of Pool Paper Mills, now a small rent is charged. . The inauguration of the Homes was on June 9th 1934. Architect John C. Procter, Clarendon Road, Leeds, contractor Michael Booth & Sons, Bradford. A copy of the Trust Deeds was presented to the Chairman of Pool Parish Council Mr. L. N. Everitt. After the ceremony a “Yorkshire Tea” was held in the Methodist Schoolroom. They are now run by a group of Trustees. When the Poole Doles was finally wound up in 1997 the surplus of £81 was donated to the Homes.

First occupants were Jim Dennison, John Gall, Matthew Clapham and Sarah Robinson.

LIBRARY 27th September 1880. Mrs. Wood (of Caley Hall) kindly commenced a lending library for the school. The books were lent free of charge on Friday afternoons. A week later Mrs. Wood extended the use of the library to any villager. By 1890 Pool Reading and Recreational Club was open and on 28th September 1891. “A library belonging to the Sunday School has been opened for use of the Day School too. No charge to be made for books of which there are 160 books at the present time.” School Log

A mobile library began to visit Pool in July 1958. In 2013 it was visiting, each for one hour per week, outside the school, outside Churchill Flats, Old Pool Bank, Pool Village Memorial Hall.

LIGHTING In 1908 G.A. Tankard of Pool installed a Sunlight Acetylene Generator in the White Hart. A letter of thanks from the landlord to Mr. Tankard says ”I am pleased to say the Gas plant you put down for me is working very well and economically. I also find it far better than lamps also much cleaner and less trouble. As for the light, there is no comparison as to the candle power.” (see more in “Tankard” in “Familes of the Past”)

The Acetylene generator

David Whiteley recalls how when a young boy attending a service in the Methodist Church, sometimes the lights would go low and his grandfather, W.L.Whiteley, would leave the church to sprinkle water on the Sunlight Acetylene generator. When the lights went up the service could continue. This lighting was also installed in the Leeds Library on Commercial Street, Leeds, also Plainville/Park House, Pool.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-59.jpeg
Tankard metal plate (originally not painted) found in the cellars of Plainville/Park House c. 1960

In an interview for a newspaper in 1937 Mrs. J. Gall, who was born in 1849 and lived on Chapel Row, recalls that the farm houses at that time were lit by tallow candles and the extraordinary interest shown when the first paraffin lamp arrived in the village. ”Everyone went to see it, within a few months almost everybody had one and we thought that at long last the winter evenings had been made really enjoyable.”

Electric lights replaced oil lamps at Whiteley’s paper mill and the mill house in 1911 at a cost of £66.0.0d.

Electric lighting was installed into St. Wilfrid’s church for the first time in 1926 and that same year was installed in Pool School. The school records state in 29th Jan 1901, that they had “got a good light from a new lamp given by Mr. Alfred Whitehead (Bryn Afon/Bank House) to the school.”

Street lighting on Pool Bank New Road and Arthington Lane roads came in late 1970 with the remainder of the village following. At the request of the residents, part of The Parklands off Arthington Lane, there still is restricted lighting in 2026..

MAIL CARTS In 1733 Otley Parish Register records Marmaduke Dunwell of Poole as being a carrier. In Bains Directory of 1821 James Dunwell (1781-1856) was a carrier to Knaresborough on Wednesday and Bradford every Thursday. He was living at Pool Farm Cottage after 1849 . These local carriers also took passengers if the load of merchandise was not too large.(Holmes Whiteley)

11th March 1881. Floods in Wharfedale. Otley. “On Sunday matters were not improved by the steady thaw which was at work. But during the night heavy rain set in and washed away with it the great bulk of the half melted snow from the streets. Of course this had the effect of swelling the river and in various places greatly overspread its bounds. ” “As a result of this the river was at its highest on Wednesday night. On Thursday morning the mail-cart from Arthington had to be driven round by the Pool Bank Road in the morning.”

27th April. 1883 Extracts from a letter written by Col. G. Rhodes – late of Pool. “The present church was erected about 40 years ago at the site of the old chapel.” “In those early days of coach and waggon locomitive, the Royal Mail Cart used to pass daily from the hamlet of Pool as far as Otley, returning to Wetherby in time for the Royal Mail Coach on its way to London.”(Wharfedale Observer.)

c. 1900 Extract from “Recollections of My Native Village by Holmes Whiteley b. 1888.

The delivery of letters and parcels was much earlier in the morning than it is now. We had a delivery by 6.30. a.m. The letters came to Pool by an early train and were sorted at Pool Post Office. The collection of letters for many years was only once a day and these were put on a train leaving Pool for Leeds about 7.00 p.m. Sunday there was no delivery but one collection. This was by Royal Mail Van, horse drawn. It used to start from Addingham collecting mail bags from Ilkley, Burley, Otley and Pool putting them on a train at Arthington about 8.30p.m. In those days the driver of the Mail Van would give a lift to respectable travellers who happened to be on the road. The local preachers often used this mode of transport to get back to the west end of the circuit, that is if the parsons’ chariot had not been able to pick them up.”

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-60.jpeg
Old Pool Bank Memorial Hall 2005

OLD POOL BANK VILLAGE MEMORIAL HALL Originally, on 17th May 1952 it was officially opened by Her Royal Highness, The Princess Royal.c The Memorial Hall celebrated the 50th anniversary of its opening by various events.

Around 1880, when no longer required by the quarry, there was a stone cabin, situated within the lower Pool Bank Quarry, near Far Row cottages on Cabin Road, which had been used by quarrymen as a place to eat before the quarry became unoccupied c. 1849. With permission from Whitaker’s, quarry owners, this began to be used, free of rent, as Old Pool Bank’s Wesleyan Chapel and Sunday school. It was at various times used by the Church of England, Plymouth Brethren and The Salvation Army. Later as a “village hall” when other events began to be held there, such as public meetings, polling station, Brownies, pantomimes, etc. (See “Old Pool Bank“) It became inadequate. For example, a children’s sports day had to be held at Hilton Grange Orphanage, whist drives and dances at the Craven Institute, Bramhope. During WW2 gas masks had to be taken to Pool for replacement or repair.

On the 5th March 1943 the Old Pool Bank Residents Association decided there was a need for a proper Village Hall. It was not until 19th Feb. 1946, at a meeting held in Pool village, was it agreed to build a village hall in Pool, with a smaller hall at Old Pool Bank, both to be considered as forms of War Memorials. After various alternatives were explored and rejected, This included the sale by the War Office of a recently disused nissen hut which had been used by Pool Home Guard during WW2 and stood outside the White Hart. On 12th Sept. 1946 land was eventually found on Quarry Farm Road. Holmes Whiteley “made a generous offer to pay for the land” which was £250 plus costs required by the owner Squadron Leader Boddington. The money for its building was raised through hard work by the residents. Whist drives, jumble sales, bring and buy sales, etc. were held, mostly in their own homes. The digging and building work was also all done voluntarily by them. Actual payment was only made when certain skilled work was needed.

As some stone from Pool Quarries had originally been used for the building of the Houses of Parliament c. 1850, a stone can be seen which was placed over the doorway as a memorial to the Fallen. Colonel Stoddart-Scott of Creskeld Hall obtained the stone from the part of the Houses of Parliament which had been damaged by an incendiary bomb in 1941. The first Residents Association meeting was held in the new Hall in June 1952. Ben Hartley headmaster of Pool school, who later lived at O.P.B. was a member of the Residents Association at this time. (see Quarries, Churches & Old Pool Bank under “Spaces”)

POLICE STATIONS

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-61.jpeg
Old Toll Bar c. 1880, later a Police Station

1. O.S. map of 1888 shows a police station at the junction of Leathley and Castley Lanes where they cross the Harrogate Road.  This was just over the bridge north of  Pool .  It was demolished in 1910.  This had previously been the shown on the Jennings map of 1767 as a Toll gate later known as the Leathley Turnpike. Keeper in 1871 Sarah Adamson aged 78, census

2. It is possible the above Leathley Turnpike, shown on an old map as a Police Station, moved to 5 Wharfe View as this row of houses was built in 1907, some three years previous to the above demolition in 1910. There was a Police house on Wharfe View during WW1.

3. Latterly a police house was purpose built at the junction of Church Lane and Church Garth c. 1980.  This was vacated about 2000 and is now privately owned. Since then the village has not had a police station.

Known police constables have been 1920 P.C. Bobby Davies; 1940 Sgt. Taylor; 1944 P.C. Snowball; 1952-1965 P. C. Blythe: ; P.C.Morris c. 1980.

POOLE BRASS BAND is mentioned in the Leeds Mercury of 1857The remainder of the day was spent in exhilarating field amusements, enlivened by the Poole brass band.” And in 1858 “The members walked in procession, accompanied by the Poole Brass Band to the church”.

POOL PARISH COUNCIL Councillor Chair persons have been: Allison Tankard from 1902 to 1930 (28 years), 1930 L.N. Everett , Mrs. Joe Whiteley clerk in 1930’s for around 30 years: Wharfedale Rural District Council: W.L Whiteley and son William 1925 to 1952. Hazel Lee has been on the Council for over 25 years.(2025 ) On 14th Oct.1896 two members of P.P.C. joined Arthington Parish Council to walk Arthington bounds. The rates in 1927 were 5s.5d. in the pound, made up of County 2s.6d., R.D.C.ls.6d., Poor rate 6d., Pool special rate 10d. and Parish council 1d. with responsibility for maintaining 2957 yards of local roads. i.e. The Staircase, Castley Lane, Mill Lane, Old Pool Bank, etc.

POOL VILLAGE ARCHIVES was established in 2005 by Pat Lazenby, as an off-shoot of the History of Pool Group which she established in the year 2001, later shared for a number of years, with Mike Woodall. The funding of the archive was supplied from the profits from the sale of the book “Pool-in-Wharfedale – Pictures from the Past” by Pat Lazenby in 2003. The archive is housed, free of charge, in the Pool Village Memorial Hall for the benefit of the village. To ensure Pool Archives records were never lost, in 2015, as a gift from, and at the request of Pat Lazenby, Pool Parish Council agreed to accept Pool Archives into their “safekeeping in perpetuity”. In 2020 payment by Pat Lazenby was made to the P.P.C. who agreed to undertake the continuation of Pool web site, www.poolinwharfedalehistory.co.uk for at least ten years.

Many walks, displays, presentations, etc. have taken place. One to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth in 2012 , which took members of the public to see the old streets and historic houses of the village.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-20.png
1901 Pool Church of England School

POOL SCHOOLS In 1675/6 a school for girls was run in Pool Hall, “a trifling Annuity, the gift of Mrs. Fleetham of Pool Hall, for teaching 6 children”.(D.D.). Evidence of teaching the village in 1679 by a schoolmaster graduate.(David Whiteley memoirs) James Thompson was a headmaster before 1821 (Bains Directory 1821). The 1841 census shows Dr. Joseph Curry (wife Sarah, son Matthew) was running a boys’ school in the Manor House (possibly a church school) with 17 pupils, Joseph Oldfield, was assisted by a medical student. Joseph Curry compiled a time-line of the bible events, the book called “Curry’s Chronological and Geographical Family Guide Holy Scriptures”, written in Dewsbury in 1846. A plaque is on the wall of St. Wilfrid’s church commemorating the death of his and his wife Sarah’s baby daughter Maryann Whitworth Curry who died in 1840 aged only 13 weeks.

In the early part of the nineteenth century various “Dame ” schools were run, c.1865 by Ann Kaye in No.3 Chapel Row. c.1845 by Sarah (1809-1865) and Ann Huddleston (1800-1871) – a school in Park Buildings. Tabitha Ridealgh, (wife of Wm.Ridealgh-paper maker) on Old Post Office Row later moving to Mill Lane. There was a large, very prolific orchard owned by Mr. Wood which ran from the school down to the river around 1873 (School Log) and Recollections of my Native Village -Holmes Whiteley)

See the Story of Pool School by Derek Dalton 1872-1972

1834 The incumbent for Pool’s Chapel of Ease was William John Ridsdale, who, at the aged of 30, was presented to the perpetual curacy of Pool, near Otley. Patron, the Rev. Ayscough Fawkes, Vicar of Otley. remaining in charge for 45 years and played a large part in the development of the school. (see “St. Wilfrid’s Church”)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-62.jpeg
c.1960 School and School House

Early Head teachers

1872-1876 William Topps – Master, Jane Topps – Mistress.. 1876 Jane White, 1876-1888 George Noble

1888-1896 John Brunt. 1896 -1923 Walter Wigglesworth

1870 Scheme for the new Pool National School, (National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church) to be built on “Water Croft”. Cost of building the school was £400. The school was opened in 1872 on land, Water Croft, obtained in 1870 from Wm. Milthorp and executors of Michael Nicholson, Pool Mill owners. It was built on land conveyed to the Minister and Church Wardens for that purpose.

1872 Pool Church of England School was founded through the endeavors of members of the village and the church. The curate of St. Wilfrid’s from 1834 was William John Ridsdale. He cared much for the welfare of the children and could be seen making regular visits to the school along with his daughter Miss Mary Dorothy Ridsdale, who would help the children with their reading. On Nov. 24th 1873 The Rev. J. W. Ridsdale called and left one pound one shilling at Pool School to be placed in the Yorkshire Penny Bank for the Pool Clothing Club.

In 1880 Mrs. Wood of Caley Hall, wife of George Wood Esq. M.A. Oxon, of the Inner Temple, J.P, died in 1879 age 54. He had been a director of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and took”a keen interest in Pool school”. Mrs. Wood, as well as applying in 1880, for the lighting to be extended from Arthington Gas works to St. Wlfrid’s church in Pool, that same year she gave to the church the pulpit and alter table.

Mrs. Wood and her husband were involved with the newly built Pool School (1872) as shown in 1875 when they both were present during the annual examination of the school.1874 March 4th Mrs. Wood (Caley Hall) visited the school, heard 1st and 2nd class read and gave them a dictation lesson.  She expressed her intention to repeat her visit weekly and proposed that prizes should be given for regular attendance. (She visited many times during the weeks and years to follow)

1874 May 4th Mrs. Wood called to address the children on their irregular attendance and promised a treat at Caley Hall to all who made one hundred attendances in the next three months.”  This had repercussions as “Oct 2nd. Joseph Emmett withdrawn from school because he was not invited to the Caley Hall treat with his brother. Edward, the one having attended the required number of times viz. 100 in the months and the other had not.”

“In 1880 Mrs Wood kindly commenced a lending library for the school. The books were lent free of charge on Friday afternoons. A week later she extended the use of the library free of charge, to any villager.” She made many gifts to the school, which one year included books and a Christmas tree.

After the headmaster had repeatedly warned the children to keep out of way of carts, she organised part of a field to be a school playground, providing cricket, lawn tennis and croquet sets.

1901 On Jan 29th the headmaster records: “Have a good light from a new lamp given by Mr. Alfred Whitehead to the school” (A manager of the school, lived at Bryn Afon, Bank House) 1912 Church window was dedicated to him.)

Alfred Whitehead of Bryn Afton (Now Bank House, Old Pool Bank road)

1873 Smallpox in the school, scholars and teachers vaccinated

4th Dec.1879 the headmaster George Noble wrote: “The weather is so severe that the children are scarcely able to keep warm enough to write, although a large fire is kept. I have been obliged to exercise them with expansion movements and drill at least every half hour and even then some of the little ones have cried with cold. A good many absentees.”

1881 Infants School built. 27th April Headmaster moves into new school house. Arithmetic first worked on paper.

1882 New class room built.

1884 Children paid fees of 3d per week rising to 4d. before being abolished in 1891.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-63.jpeg
Class of 1908

1904 Further extensions to the building, plus additions to playground (D.D.). These extensions probably due to the increased workers in the quarry, the railway and mills.

Sunday School Maypole dancing c. 1910

The field which was the playground was originally Wood’s orchard in 1874 and in 2001 when foundations were being laid for a skateboard park (paid for by Redrow Homes) many pieces of broken clay smoking pipes were found. A newspaper cutting c. 1880 states that Pool villagers were tired of so many picnickers on the banks of the Wharfe

1972 £50,000 recommended to be paid for land by West Riding County Council for the building of a new school on Arthington Lane. Building of Combined First and Middle school begins.

New school on Arthington Lane finishes in 1973. Architect for Leeds City Council, Robin Cooper.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Schl.3.NEW1975.jpg
Pool-in-Wharfedale C of E Primary School, 1975

1975. 16 July Formal opening of the new school by Chairman of the Pool Parish Council, David Whiteley.

2000 An acorn was taken from an old 400 year oak tree growing in nearby Farnley Park, no doubt when this was within the Forest of Knaresborough. When established the small tree was transferred by Steve Wilkinson, to the grounds of Pool School to commemorate the millennium. Photo shows it thriving in 2023.

The old Pool school on Main Street after the fire of 2001

2001. 22nd Jan. The old school was burned down and partly demolished.

Memories of the old school by David Whiteley c.1925.

The boys entrance was near the road end of the playground and there was a small cloakroom where we hung our coats with washbasins supplied with cold water. The main part of the building comprised Mrs. Wigglesworth’s classroom at the end adjoining the road with connecting door to the large main schoolroom. This itself was divided by a folding screen with the infants dept. at the far end from the road, the remainder in the middle of the school, holding Mr. Proctor’s classes. I do not now understand how he managed with every standard from three to seven in one room. At the back was the larger girls cloakroom which was also used for medical and dental inspections, in the evening used as the ladies base for refreshments for whist drives and dances. The school had an old boiler which sometimes gave trouble, when it failed we would be sent home if the weather was too cold. The caretaker, I remember, who used to struggle with it, was Albert Whitehead. The toilets were outside across the playground and the lower part of the playground had only a very rough dirt surface.” His father Holmes recalls how in the early 1900’s that one day it was very icy a slide was made, after sliding down wearing his clogs which scored the slide, he was not allowed to use it again.

POOL PARISH COUNCIL (Local Government Act established Parish Councils in 1894) April 24 1896 – “Parish Council Election. The first general annual meeting of the Parish Council was held on Friday evening last. The Rev. A. E. Meredith (the late Chairman) was appointed the Chairman and Mr. M. Barret, Vice Chairman of the year. Messrs. John Pullein and Herbert Pepper (A self employed carrier on the Ilkley railway lived at Brook Cottage, Mill Lane) were appointed overseers of the poor.” – Wharfedale Observer. The P.O. “Commercial” 1861 records “Thomas Cowley – Parish Clerk”.

On 14th Oct.1896 two members of P.P.C. joined Arthington Parish Council to walk Arthington bounds.

The rates in 1927 were 5s.5d. in the pound, made up of County 2s.6d., R.D.C.ls.6d., Poor rate 6d., Pool special rate 10d. and Parish council 1d. with responsibility for maintaining 2957 yards of local roads. i.e. The Staircase, Castley Lane, Mill Lane, Old Pool Bank, etc.(David Whiteley Memoirs)

In 1967 (Voting paper of John H. Whiteley) Parish of Pool covers 952 acres, Population approx 1650, rateable value (approx.) £48,000, 165 houses and 55 garages owned by the WRDC. After election of 1967 Pool will have 2 representatives on the Rural District Council

In 1968 58% of all houses in Pool were owned by RDC. In 1952 a fee of 1/-d was charged to view the Pool Minute Book.

In 2006 the Honorary Citizens Award was established by Pool Parish Council. Kendal Newby Oct 2006 received the first. Connie Cartwright 2007;  Roger Bareham 2008;  Pat Lazenby 2009; Harry Wardman 2010;  Margaret Plasting 2011;  Lorri Clemie 2012; Pat Walker 2013; Peter Wilkinson 2014; Jim Smith 2015; Martin Lee 2017; Moira Keith 2019; Mr.& Mrs. Aartse-Tuyn; Paula & Gary McNeil; Mrs Sue Cliff 2021;

2009 saw the village made into a Conservation area granted by Leeds City Council

In 2012 there were 983 houses in Pool in Wharfedale divided up into bands of council tax ranging from band A to H according to the valuation they held when the rating scheme was set up in 1991. 61.34% of homes in Pool in Wharfedale are rated in Bands A to D. Hazel Lee has been on the Council for over 25 years.(2024) Allison Tankard from 1902 to 1930 (28 years), Mrs. Joe Whiteley in 1930’s for around 30 years.

2013 Leeds C.C. make proposal to build approx 550 new homes thus increasing size of village by 50%

(Taken from Two Pool Parish Council meeting books)

POOL 2020 This was a village community group formed in June 1999 for “the community of Pool-in-Wharfedale” attempting to improve conditions in the village in response to a Village Appraisal Report which highlighted the concerns and aspirations of the residents. These included traffic, road safety, development, crime, pollution and the environment. A monthly newspaper was first produced in May 2000 named Pool Vision. Reverted to bi-monthly in 2006. The group disbanded in Dec. 2006 but a Pool internet site continued alongside a few hard copies, named Pool e-news, in an attempt to inform residents of local events. Bernard Mitchinson was the original editor.

POOL-IN-WHARFEDALE VILLAGE MEMORIAL HALL

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-22.jpeg
Original architect drawing of the proposed Hall

The Memorial Hall was so named, as it was to commemorate those who served in WW2 and W.L.Whiteley of B.S.&W. Whiteley Ltd. The memorial stones can be seen at either side of the entrance.

Charity No. 512427. The Village Memorial Hall was built on part of just over 11 acres of land, known as Sim Ing, (Cattbe Siming in1674 and Sim Ing or Town End Close in 1847.) The land was, in 1937, purchased by the company of B.S.& W. Whiteley Ltd. expressly for the purpose of developing the site as a community and sports centre for the village. The land was purchased from Pool mill owners, Nicholson, Milthorp, Snowdon, living at Plainville also known as Park House.

In June of 1937 the Whiteley family assembled 80 residents with plans for the building of a village hall on part of the land purchased by B.S.&W.Whiteley Ltd. that year. It was anticipated the cost would be £3,000. However plans were shelved due to the outbreak of WW2.

Once again generous donations prior to the end of WW2

When finally resumed in 1948 costs had risen. At this point Holmes Whiteley and his younger brother William, of Pool-in-Wharfedale paper mill, each donated £1,000.

Memorial Hall Committee Members in 1957, around a “Thermometer” erected on Stocks Hill. Target of £13,000 shown

The committee fully recognised the formidable task ahead but the whole village worked very hard to reach £13,000, the amount anticipated to be sufficient to build the village hall, holding whist drives, dances, balloon races, garden parties, many stage presentations by the Country Players, raffles, sales of work, coffee mornings, and even “Men only” smoking evenings! The “Golden Guinea” ball, tombolas, youth club pantomimes, fell race, a brick for the Hall was sold in installments at 10p per week. Shops always freely gave gifts. A number of grants were obtained and B.S.&W. Whiteley Ltd agreed to give a further interest free loan of £3,000 subject to the village raising a similar amount. By July 1958 the amount raised seems to have been £11,400 and with costs now increased to £15,500, left a shortfall of over £3,500. By November 1958 the Village Memorial Hall was still in the red. In an attempt to reduce this deficit a two day “Christmas Fayre” was held. In all it took twenty years to collect the money needed to build the Hall. The original estimated cost in 1938 had been £3,000

Building in progress during 1957

Two Memorial Plaques placed inside the Hall.

The Memorial Hall was considered to have been so well designed by Chippendale & Edmondson, Bradford, that the Yorkshire Rural Community Council exhibited the drawings at the Great Yorkshire Show in 1955 and the National Council of Social Services at Reading. Said to be the “largest and most modernly equipped Hall of its kind in the country”. The assembly Hall built to seat 234 persons with maple floor for dancing, badminton or table tennis and stage. On 7th Sept. 2008 the 50th birthday celebrations were held in the Hall which included prizes for a school art competition presented by John Whiteley, only surviving grandson of one of the founder of Whitley’s paper mill.

In 1975 a conversion was made into a new sports and bar extension

Since its building it has accommodated many functions and sports clubs.

2003
2007

Harrogate Orchid Society 2024

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is MemorialHall.2000.jpg
Pool-in-Wharfedale Village Memorial Hall today

For more information showing how the land has been used as a sports and community centre including more about the Memorial Hall, see “Spaces” “Pool Riverside Park”

POOL-IN-WHARFEDALE RAILWAY & STATION

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is PoolRailway-sign.jpg
Original railway sign
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-64.jpeg
Pool-in-Wharfedale Railway Station Lamp
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Poolsteamtrain.jpg
Steam train arriving at Pool-in-Wharfedale Station

POOL-IN-WHARFEDALE RAILWAY & STATION was first owned by The North Eastern Railway Co. The railway and station were built in 1865 and closed down in 1965, now has Willow Court housing estate built on it. When the first station opened at Arthington it was called “Pool” station whilst Pool station was called “Farnley/Pool”. (map in York Railway museum) In 1927 the name “Pool” was replaced by Pool-in-Wharfedale. It was a busy station taking goods (rags, paper and pulp) too and from the paper mill, quarry stone, bricks, wooden logs from the Fawkes estate at Leathley & Lindley, mail, milk, cattle, as well as all the passenger traffic. In fact by the early 1900’s an extra train for Leeds was warranted starting from the village. It also had a coal siding for Midgleys, Pool coal merchants and small shed where stonemasons worked on the stones from the quarries. There was a quarry rail line to the station and a hand operated crane, also a turntable or was it the crane which when removed after closing was found to weigh eight tons.

Apparently during the 2nd world war the king and queen stayed overnight in a railway carriage on Pool Station thought to be visiting Farnley Military Camp (Mr.Rider). The station was much used during this war, mainly for new tanks arriving from the Leeds factories to be transported to Riffa Camp, which were always moved during the night. The station and along the line to Arthington was constantly patrolled by the military.

Joseph Bateson, from White Croft, Arthington Lane, the Principal of Joseph Bateson and Son Ltd, The Roan Tannery, Meanwood. Leeds was one evening late in October 1941 being driven home in his Rolls Royce by his chauffeur down Pool Bank when the vehicle collided with an Army vehicle (tank) with no lights because of blackout restrictions, as it turned into the Station. A few days later he passed away. The Station Master c. 1940 was George Clapham. A tomb stone to a member of Pool station is in St. Wilfrid’s churchyard to Joseph Beaumont b. 1840 d. 1875. The reason for his death in unknown. He was living in Pool in 1871 and had previously been employed as a railway clerk in Leeds. John Cousin was railway porter at this time. (1871census) Frank Robson was Pool Station master in 1891. In 1911 W. England.

Another memorial stone was recovered from a garden on Arthington Lane. This was to “Samuel Cryer, Late Station Master, Pool. Died Octr. 1st 1890 aged 45 years”

John H. Whiteley, local Councillor on the Wharfedale Rural District Council, tried in vain to get a reprieve for the line, even to the extent of having questions asked in the Houses of Parliament, but to no avail. (See full information in Pool-in-Wharfedale Railway)

POOL-IN-WHARFEDALE WATERWORKS CO. LTD.

Certificate issued for Pool-in-Wharfedale Waterworks Company Limited

POOL-IN-WHARFEDALE WATERWORKS CO. LTD. Pool had its own private water supply which had been owned by Michael Nicholson, who died 1858 but his estate was not sold until 1903. He had been the owner of Low Mill, paper mill of Pool, since 1809. It must therefore have been in operation before his death in 1858. The sale of the water works in 1903 included the water rights and tank on Pool Bank, at that time the income was £19.l.6d.and was bought by the Alfred L Whitehead who owned Bryn Afon (now Old Bank), and White House Farm on Old Pool Bank. It then passed to his daughters Amy and Gertrude. On 10th Aug. 1951 permission was given for a private company to be formed. Each householder bought a £2 share in the company. Pool Water Company supplied around 120 properties mainly on Main Street and Arthington Lane. At various times Oates, Tankards & Bernard Bolton serviced the system. In 1973 their administrative address was Westgate Arcade, Otley. The company was finally wound up in 1983 when the whole of Pool went on to the Council water supply. Shares for the company were valid with the land on Pool Bank New Road finally dissolved in 2020 with a house soon built on the land on Pool Bank New Road.

One day during the 1920’s there was a problem with the reservoir. A filter at the bottom of the tank had come lose. At that time Aldi Tankard had a lad “Little Bob” working for him. He undressed and swam to the bottom of the 8’ deep tank to repair the filter. During this time Miss Amy Whitehead, the then owner of the water company, arrived on the scene. This lady was elderly and one of the “old school”, who always wore a brown corduroy suit and a hat. Poor Bob remained in the water until she had gone. He was blue when he emerged. Spring water is very cold! (Roland Tankard) Full details in “A Village Water Supply”

Balance Sheet of Pool Reading & Recreation Club 1890

POOL READING & RECREATION CLUB May have been in old Fox and Hounds pub or part of Wesleyan Methodist Church, both on Chapel Row. Balance against the Club in 1889 was £7.16.10d.Rates 9s.2d. Fires, Lamps, etc. £1.5.11d. Secretary William Whiteley, Treasurer Stephen Kaye

POST OFFICES Pool Post Office has been in many places. According to a booklet published in 1929 by the Vicar of Pool, Rev. G.H. Mercer, Miss Anne Kaye who died in 1877 brought the letters from Otley; Hammerless Wood was the next Postmen then Albert Thos. Denton who died in 1921. The first Post Office in Pool was Mrs. James Bradley’s shop, then was succeeded by Miss Bladen as her Postmistress. (believe this was the pharmacy as in 2022), William Mason who died in 1900 had it on Old Post Office Row. Then transferred back to Moorhouses shop (see photo below)

1. Old Post Office Row, (also known as Fatticake Row, demolishe1972) 2. Brook Cottage, Mill Lane. (Mrs. Joe Whiteley) 3. Present one Main Street. built 1924 by Fosters, 4. No.9 Wharfe View (Albert Thos Dention.)the house with the steps and two columns – Albert Thomas Denton 1908 (died 1921) . 5. The cottage attached to the Manor House. 6. No.9 Church View, (photo below), now the pharmacy.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-66.jpeg
H. B. Moorhouse, Pool Post Office, Church View c. 1915
Old Post Office Row also know as Fatticake Row before demolition in 1972

On lst Jan 1929 Pool Parish Council was advised that “Pool-in-Wharfedale” would be used for postal and telegraph purposes. In 1968 to be known as “Pool-in-Wharfedale, Otley, Yorkshire”.

Pool Parish Council were notified by Leeds C.C. Forward Implementation on 6th Dec. 2013 “they have amended the locality name from Pool to Pool-in-Wharfedale.  This change was available to customers in the February 2014 release of OS MasterMap.”

Pool Post Office & Stores, Main Street, after enlargement in 2020

POOL CLOTHING CLUB 1873 Nov. 24th The Rev. J. W. Ridsdale called and left one pound one shilling at Pool School, to be placed in the Yorkshire Penny Bank for the Pool Clothing Club

RECREATION GROUND. (R.G.M.C.) This is land off Arthington Lane and runs along the river to Pool Bridge now under the management of the R.G.M.C. (Recreation Ground Management Committee). Registered Charity No. 512427. A charitable trust run by volunteers. The land provides spaces for cricket, 2 football pitches, tennis, dog walking area, fishing and riverside walks.

In March 1934 Holmes Whiteley began a fund by giving £50 to provide playing fields for Pool children with “the people of Pool to increase the fund by four or five times”. . He said it was a disgrace that a village like Pool, surrounded by fields, should have no place for children to play.

On 27th October 1937 The Whiteley family purchased over 11 acres of land on the north side of Arthington Lane a field known as Sym Ings (Cattbe Siming (1674) now known as Sim Ing or Town End Close in 1847.) from the Milthorp Nicholson Snowden, for the purpose of developing the site as a community and sports centre for the village. The ground behind White Hart, owned by Tadcaster Tower Brewery was vacated in 1938, later used to build Millcroft estate.

Cricket and one of the football areas 2011

On 29th April1938 a new cricket ground opened on field, known as Sym Ing. W.L.Whiteley before his death, together with his sons, agreed to purchased the land so the company could provide the Pool cricket club with a new home.(David Whiteley Memoirs) The present cricket ground was laid out by Conways of Halifax at a cost of £305 and fenced by S. Kaye & son for £139.13.11d. In Nov.1946 the process began to convey the land from W.L.Whiteley Ltd. to William, & Holmes Whiteley and Sir Arthur Fleming to be held as a trust for the purpose of recreational purposes for the benefit of the inhabitants of Pool-in-Wharfedale.

In Jan 1967 John Holmes Whiteley with William Whiteley became joint trustees (Holmes and Fleming having died). In 1958 part of the land was transferred to the Village Hall. In September 1965 the land was officially transferred to the official Trustee of Charity Lands passed to Pool Parish Council and would be vested in a Management committee.(PPC minutes). On 28 April 1972 it was recommended that the West Riding County Council should purchase part of the land for the building of Pool School for the sum of £50,000 (fifty thousand pounds)

On 11th Sept. 1972 the trustees were John Holmes Whiteley, David Holmes Whiteley and Charles William Whiteley OBE when the Recreation Ground Trust came into active existence. The R.G.M.C. was formed in the 1973, it’s first recorded meeting on 15th March 1973. In due course the trusteeship was vested in the Public Custodian of Charities, i.e. The Charities Commission and the R.G.M.C. became the “Managing Trustees”.

To commemorate the Queens Silver Jubilee in 1977 with gifts from the village, trees were planted around the cricket pitch.

In 1989 the property of the Trust was described as: 1. Cricket field and score box and adjoining building. 2. The tennis courts. 3. The practice football field. 4. Pool water mill (corn mill) and adjoining picnic area and children’s playground and equipment. 5. The field to the west of the mill side O.S. plot no., 5245 (tenanted by Mr. D. Pullein- Farmer). 6. Fishing rights on Trust property along the south bank of the Wharfe.

In 1991 the “Friends of Pool Recreation Ground Association” was formed, among other reasons, “To promote and encourage development and maintenance of the Pool Recreation Ground.” . This was disbanded c. 2008. In 1977 a number of trees were donated by members of the village to celebrate the 25th Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth which were planted around three sides of the cricket field. A millennium tree was planted in 2001.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-68.jpeg
RGMC Jubilee Copse

To commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of the Queen in 2012 a copse of trees was planted by children from Pool School alongside the old corn mill. Trees planted are: hazel, rowan, hawthorn, dogwood, cherry and oak. In Nov 2015 a special Yew tree sapling was donated to the village by the Conservation Trust to commemorate 800 years since the signing of the Magna Carta.

In July 2012 a new changing room for the football club was officially opened by Leeds United legend Eddie Gray. £34,400 grant was from the Football Foundation. Other organisations contributed to the project, Green Leeds, Leeds Wellbeing, The Kirkby Foundation and Pool Parish Council £5,000, and the R.G.M.C. The club also raised £5,000. (See “Riverside Park“)

POOL RIVERSIDE PARK (See “Business”, ” Whiteley Mills”)

SCOUTS, CUBS, SEA-SCOUTS, GUIDES, BROWNIES. In the year 2000 none of these activities take place. For many years the scouts, cubs and for a short time sea scouts held their meetings in a building at the Old Pool Bank entrance to Pool Hall, (demolished) later moving to the old school. The guides in the early 1920’s held their meetings in the a meeting room over the stables of the outbuildings of Chestnut Cottage & Plainville Cottage, now Brayton Cottage, run by Miss Snowdon of Plainville/Park House; in the 1940’s by Miss Jean Whiteley ; in the 1970’s on Avenue des Hirondelle by Miss Morgan.

Pool Sewerage Treatment Works 1968.

SEWAGE WORKS – POOL . In 1903 £3,000 was borrowed to lay the sewage works and filter beds at Arthington, by March 1934 all but £300 remained outstanding.

Holmes Whiteley recalled that around 1900 “Sewage disposal by water carriage system to filter beds.”

Cutting of 1934

A new sewage disposal works was constructed at Arthington by the Wharfedale Rural District Council. The scheme was submitted in February 1963 and completed in 1967. The main contractors were H.O. Andrews Ltd Leeds, 8. The official opening took place on 28th August 1968 with a coach tour of the works. After refreshments, toasts, etc. were made at Pool Village Memorial Hall.

SKATE BOARD PARK opened in May 2002 with twenty skateboarders competing for prizes. The park was paid for by money designated to the village from developer Redrow Homes, following housing development at Swallow Drive. A survey carried out by Harry Wardman showed young people of the village would like their own skate board park.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-22.png
Old Slaughter House c. 1995

SLAUGHTER HOUSE When the Half Moon, also a farm in 1817, run by Samuel Stead, Joseph Stead & Co ran a butchers shop, there was a “Pining House” (a place where livestock was put for a day prior to slaughter to remove all body waste) and a wash house for the use of local villagers. The original stone built slaughter house which had been attached to the Half Moon was replaced by one built of red brick which stood at the back of the Half Moon between there and the Half Moon Garage. Around 1995 this was demolished. Billy Tankard had his butchers shop on the south side of the Half Moon around 1910. Bought from him by Eddie Yeadon and then George Middlemas, later Alan Jepson. In 1930’s Joe Whiteley had his butchers shop on Stocks Hill before moving here.

STAGE COACHES In 1816 a coach named the Royal Pilot ran daily between York and Liverpool taking 18 hours. It travelled via Harewood, Weardley, Pool and Otley where the four horses which had brought the coach from Wetherby were changed and stabled at the White Horse, Otley which had stabling for 60 horses. A new team took the coach to Skipton where it awaited the return coach from Liverpool. Another coach also named the Royal Pilot left the Talbot Inn, Market Place Leeds each morning at 7.30 a.m. to meet up at the White Horse Otley. The “Royal Wharfedale” took the same route in 1822, this time taking 15 hours. (Tracks & Roads in a Yorkshire Parish by Don Cole)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-23.png
Reginald Fairburn Taxi Carriage c.1914

TAXI SERVICE was operated by Reginald Fairburn c. 1914. He also used his horse and carriage for weddings and funerals. Reginald Fairburn was running the Corn Mill c.1890 before moving to the Half Moon which by now was the Half Moon Temperance Hotel. He ran a café and provided bed and breakfast. Originally, on 17th May 1952 it was officially opened by Her Royal Highness, The Princess Royal. Later when motor transport arrived he had a vehicle repair business and was chauffeur for Whiteley’s mill. John Abrahams also had a taxi service which operated from Stocks Hill. At one time he kept his taxi in the old granary store attached to the White Hart c.1900. Suttons, St. Wilfrid’s terrace, ran a taxi service from c. 1990-2009

TELEPHONE EXCHANGE for many years to 1977 it was at 5, Chevin View. Originally the Arthington telephone exchange operated from the first house on the left going up Creskeld Lane in Arthington. It was in operation in 1898 when Whiteleys Mill phone no. was Arthington 2.

The first telephone exchange was opened in London in 1879.

Around 1919 it had moved to Pool-in-Wharfedale, using the front room of 5, Chevin View, which was operated by Reginald Fairburn and his wife Fanny, who had run the old corn mill on Mill Lane and later the Half Moon. Barbara Webb, nee Fairburn writes, “Five of my brothers and sisters had been born by now and eventually the family moved down the village to 5, Chevin View, which was then the Telephone Exchange. My mother and father took over as caretakers, and I know at that time only a handful of people were on the phone. A bell would ring during the night when someone needed a call and the unlucky person who woke would have to go downstairs to connect the said call. By now the family had increased to seven, myself being the last to be born in the Telephone Exchange in 1919.”

Herbert Pickersgill lived here. married Elizabeth in 1913, they had two children. He had moved to Pool around 1935, which was after WW1 in which Herbert had been badly injured in the battle of the Somme, losing his right leg.

Later the Adams family, Mr.&Mrs.Adams and three maiden daughters.

As recounted in “Families” here is John Metcalfe’s account

“The Adams family later took over still operating from Chevin View.Pool played a crucial role because of the Arthington exchange which was manually operated from the front room of 5 Chevin View. Mr. & Mrs. Adams and 3 maiden daughters lived there. Eleanor helped in house, Maisie was superintendent also known as Miss “Day” Adams and Emily was Miss “Night” Adams. Emily was a great character known only through her voice and a mine of information. She would get your number but often recognised your voice, tell you which cinema had best films, tell you if it was foggy by the river and even give medical advice to avoid calling the doctor.

For our practice the telephone exchange was ideally located at the road junction and it was likely that one of us would pass that way so Magna (practice receptionist/dispenser) or a wife would leave an urgent message at the exchange who would then hoist a yellow duster in the window which meant “call and pick up message”.

The exchange moved to Pool Bank New Road when the new automatic exchange became part of the Leeds trunk system and in 1977 all Arthington tel. nos. had 84 added to front of existing ones.

During WW2, there was difficulty when trying to phone as the operators would think you had said “Arlington”,)

Many attempts were made to change the name of the exchange from Arthington to Pool. In Sept.1960 it was stated that people using the exchange was made up of 41% from Pool:  45% Bramhope: 7% Arthington: 7% Stainburn, Leathley, Castley, etc.(Pool parish council notes)

A new exchange was built on the Avenue des Hirondelles in 1977.

Known Arthington Exchange telephone numbers were:

1 Post box outside the telephone exchange, Creskeld Lane, Arthington.

2 Whiteleys Mill (1898); Changed to 100 Arthington Exchange c. 1915

4 Pool Manor House c. 1902) ;

7 The Cross Café,Bramhope (1949);

19 (Coopers 1947) Pool Post Office; Turners P.O. 1960

28  Stephen Kaye Son Ltd. saw mill;  (1958)

36 Bar House, Old Pool Bank 1951-1961 (Bill Hurley)

46 Pulleins  (Lords of the Manor)-;

79 Police Station, 5 Wharfe View

80 Tankard Electricians;

83 W.K. & A. Rider, off-licence (now the pharmacy); R. Midgley & Son, Main St. (1956)

105 Pool Bridge Motor Co. (1956)

110 G.A. & G.W. Swift (1949) Bramhope;

113 White Garage, Old Pool Bank ;

139 Hudson Haulage Contractor (c.1937)

146 C.H.Speed (North View Stores now cottages opposite the White Hart formerly the number used by Neville Gladstone who moved to the shop from Mill Lane) ;

165 G.A. Thackwray & Sons;

166 Otley School of motoring (tuition by RAC registered instructor) who resided at ‘Old Bank’ Pool.

171 R. Tankard (1956)

172 George Middlemiss, butcher (1956)

196 Overdale, Old Pool Bank (1950) Holmes Whiteley. (now Overdale Manor originally The Prospect)

202 Fox, Candlesby, Otley Rd;

203 Hutchinson’s Bramhope newsagents 1949;

256 John A. Pickles Bramhope (1956)

259 Riley & Peirson (Electrical) Ltd. Bramhope (1949);

262 Bell, painter & decorator(1947);

264 Ridealgh Stores, Main St. (1947)–:

296 Bramhope Motor Co.;

318 Half Moon Garage & Café (1947)

344 Robert Midgley and Son, coal & haulage contractors (also 83 see above)

(Where appropriate those from Bramhope are so marked, the rest are from Pool)

TEMPERANCE SOCIETY Meetings were being held in 1904 run by St. Wilfrid’s Church. Summer trips were held. (St. Wilfrid’s Parish Magazine 1904)

WESLEYAN BAND OF HOPE meetings were held in 1896. They held concerts in the school room. (Wharfedale Observer 1896)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is word-image-70.jpeg
Wharfedale Court Diamond Jubilee, 2012

WHARFEDALE COURT A block of sheltered housing built by the Wharfedale Rural District Council on the site of Old Post Office Row, also known as Fatticake Row which had been demolished in 1977. The official opening took place on 22nd March 1984. Re-fitted in 2009. For a short time during 2011 it was open to the village to buy fresh vegetables on Thursdays. W.I. and History of Pool Group meetings held there. It won the “Best Decorated House” in QE11 Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 2012. In 2015 four further flats were made from the previous conversion which had been left untouched. During renovations to an adjacent, disused part of Wharfedale Court garden in 2016 an old well, 3 feet across and 9 feet deep, was discovered which is shown on the 1847 map. Unfortunately this was covered over. One resident recalls that when visiting her grandfather who lived on Church View, told her that there was always a frog sitting on the top of the well. According to writings, the area was the village green stretching from west of the White Hart to Mill Lane. The Pool Feast (operating in 1727) was held here with stalls stretching from Stocks Hill to the Half Moon with races held on Mill Lane.