No3.POOL HALL (on the l.h.s. of photo) was built in 1727 and is attached to No.1 Pool Hall to which there was a connecting door, now blocked in. This was used as a servants’ home.. The old coach house to the south is now converted into two dwellings, the east facing wall of this, is of old narrow type red brick which might have been a wall to a greenhouse, as plants like to grow up bricks. (P.T).
NO.2 POOL HALL There is an old stone staircase leading from the main room to the upstairs. It has vaulted cellars, damp in 2013
It is thought to be the oldest part of Pool Hall. 1593 is a date taken from an old painting in the Hall in 1928, when much of the woodwork had to be removed. (SHP) For recent ghost story read Pool Hall.
“It has a gabled west front forming an elegant 3-bay symmetrical façade with plat-band, the gable treated as a pediment the tympanum in-filled with a Venetian window. It has a plinth that unusually ramps to the outer corners and an elevated central doorway with eared architrave approached by three steps that retains a 6-panelled door; to either side 2-light windows with raised dressed surrounds, all retaining 12-paned sashes. Inside the room to the left of the entrance is one of the principal parlours of the ‘hall’ that has a window seat and a built-in cupboard the door with raised-and-fielded panels and a casement-moulded cornice carried around the room. The roof retains an original queen-post truss that is surmounted by a fish-bone king-post, an unusual combination. Attached on to its side is the former single storey kitchen that retains inside twin arched fireplaces. Set before it the enclosed courtyard is laid with river cobbles, which appear to be an original and attractive feature. Attached on to the north side Pool Hall Cottage has in its west face similar 2-light windows, but with one square window at the 1st floor retaining a 2-paned sash.” (P.T.)
The whole complex appears to have been re-designed c.2010 and the old “office” which had many ancient features, i.e. small drawers and coving removed to extend the kitchen to Old Pool Hall. In 2014 this building and The Warren (below) were advertised for sale together
Below is Peter Thornborrow (Architectural Historian) description of Pool Hall in 2005
“Pool Hall the first of the Georgian gentry houses positioned at this gateway entrance to the village. The wall forms a strong linear boundary to the road and was once balanced by another on the opposite side of the road since demolished. The wall is backed by pollarded Poplars and some ivy hedging that adds to the gracious setting of this elegant and interesting mansion house.
The rear of the property peers up above the wall and forms an L-shaped range of buildings, that to the east a 3-bay symmetrical 18th century house with gabled stacks and copings with 4-light flat-faced mullioned windows with slightly recessed mullions flanking a central arched stair window with impost blocks its head in filled with interlaced glazing.
This is attached on to a taller gabled single bay with a central ridge ashlar chimney from which a 2-bay gabled range runs off to the north (now forming a separate dwelling Pool Hall Cottage). This has 2-bays of 16-paned sashed windows in its east side, with a Venetian window in its gable end, which is coped with kneelers and finials. Set below the window is a lean-to with a 3-light window, with raised chamfered surround, having recessed flat-faced mullions.
The principal front of Pool Hall facing south is hidden from view in its garden, its entrance framed by square gate-piers with octagonal caps. It evolved from a 3-bay Classical-style house with a central entrance, graced by a semicircular porch on Doric columns, flanked by Georgian 12-paned sashed windows with fine glazing bars; the doorway leads in to a central entrance passage. The Doric decoration is repeated inside the principal rooms of the house, the beams clad in plaster decorated with a dentil cornice. One room has built-in corner cupboards with arched heads framed by fluted pilasters. During the 1920s the famous composer Frederic Delius and his family lived here. Externally there is a straight-joint between its taller neighbour to the west (indicating they are of different dates) with a later battlemented parapet carried across both roof edges, a later addition (early 19th century?) that unites the façade. Former coach houses and service ranges run off at right angles faced in old brick with a stone parapet against which is a lean-to mono-pitched roof.
On the yard side, to the west, the former coach house retains low segmental-arched carriage entrances (now windows) now converted to cottages, one curiously called “The Old Barn” which it never was! Walking past the cottages we come to the taller section of the hall (now forming a separate dwelling from it called
THE WARREN redesigned c 2010 when part of the Old Pool Hall was extended taking in some of the old buildings that had been part of No.2 Pool Hall, the original Hall.
On the east side of the courtyard is the former barn and a range of attached farm buildings, converted to multiple dwellings in 2002 (on Chapel Hill Road)” (P.T.)
POOL HOUSE. The house appears to be on the map of 1756. Referred to by the Milthorp and Stott deeds as the “Mansion House”. Census of 1911 states 13 rooms and 3 attics.
The continuation of Staircase Lane is a now unrecogisable lane marked as Ribbon Lane on a map of 1756 which appears to come down the back of Pool Hall in front of Pool House. According to SHP Pool House was a public house. This would therefore serve all passing trade from the pack horses bringing wool down to the Pool Mills, also cattle and sheep drovers going to market in Otley and over Pool bridge or ford.
A sale of the property in 1822/3, see below, shows the house owned by John Milthorp, farmer, maltster and paper mill owner. Amongst the items shown in the sale are a malt kiln, a quantity of malt, brewing vessels and barrels also the two inns in the village, the White Hart and Half Moon, all suggesting that beer was brewed in the house to supply these inns.
Leeds Mercury Poole, near Otley. 17th April 1822 .
To be sold by Auction, by Samuel Lumb, on Wednesday, seventeenth of April 1822 and the following days, upon the Premises of Mr. John Milthorp of Poole, all the Valuable FARMING STOCK, consisting of 6 Milch Cows, 4 Steers, One Bull, 11 Yearling Calves and 10 half year old Do.: 1 Grey Blood Mare, rising Five Years Old; 1 Brown Blood Mare, rising 6 years old; 1 Hackney Horse, 4 capital Draught Horses, 1 Year old Foal, upwards of 50 sheep, 2 Sows and 7 pigs, 6 Pork Pigs, 2 stacks of Wheat, 3 Stacks of Oats, 1 Stack of beans, l Mow of Beans, 14 Acres of Barley in Mow, Oats and Wheat in Mow. A Quantity of Malt, 2 Waggons, 3 Carts, Ploughs, Harrows, Drag Harrows, Rollers, Saddles, Bridles, Horse Gearing and a large Quantity of Farming Utensils too numerous for Insertion.
Also the whole of the modern and excellent HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE, comprising Mahogany Dining, Pembroke, Card and other Tables and Chairs; Mahogany Four Post and Camp Bedsteads, with Hangings, Window Curtains, prime Feather Beds and Bedding; Mahogany Chests of Drawers, Wash Stands, Night and Dressing Tables Pier and Swing Glasses, Floor and Stair Carpets; bookcase, Clocks, Sofa, Fenders and Fire Irons; Plate, Linen, China, Glass and Earthen ware. Also all the Kitchen Requisites, Brewing Vessels, Barrels and a great Variety of other useful Articles of Household Furniture.
The Furniture will be sold on the Second Day. The sale to commence each Morning precisely at 10 o’clock will be sold without Reserve and free from Duty.
Leeds Mercury 14th June 1823
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION at the house of Mr. Bickerdike, the White Hart in Pool, near Otley in the West Riding of the County of York, on Friday 4th July 1823 at 5 oclock in the evening, subject to Conditions as will be then and there produced.
A Valuable Compact Freehold Estate situate in Pool aforesaid in the beautiful Valley of Wharfdale containing altogether about 170 acres of fine land in high cultivation and consisting of a MANSION-HOUSE (Pool House) lately occupied by Mr. John Milthorp, a Malt Kiln, Granary, Two Barns, Two stables, Two Cowhouses pigeon Cote and other outbuildings, garden and appurtenances and the following Closes of Land, lately also in Mr. Milthorp’s occupation, containing in Statue Measure, the several quantities under mentions or thereabouts to be the same more or less that is to say:-
Homestead (Acres.Roods,Perches) 0 3 0
Backstone Gate Close 1 2 39
Wood adjoining 0 1 36
Quarry Close 0 3 25
Near High Bank, including Plantation 7 2 2
Far High Bank 5 2 21
High Bank Close 16 2 20
Allotment 18 3 5
Dog kennel Close 3 3 12
Wood 2 1 15
Boston Close 6 2 28
Holleyn Leys 5 2 8
Springs including small Wood 4 3 17
Caley Riddings, Old Pasture, Monk Ing, now laid together 14 0 12
High Thorn and Half Acre 5 3 24
Cross Close 2 3 17
Scratcherd Close 7 2 13
Carr Close 4 2 24
Stone Halls 5 1 17
Lodges 4 2 38
Toad Hole 1 2 8
Upper Cravens 4 3 10
Lower Cravens 3 1 19
Low Bridge Close, including the site of Three cottages and gardens
Taken from it ?8 2 8
Wool Ridding 5 1 28
Bottoms 6 2 35
Low Pasture 2 1 27
151 2 28
Also THE WHITE HART PUBLIC HOUSE, situate in Pool aforesaid in the Occupation of Richard Bickerdike, with outbuildings and Appurtenances thereunto belonging, together with two closes of land
therewith occupied and containing in like measure the several quantities hereinafter mentioned or thereabouts that is to say
The Croft including garden and buildings 4 3 1
Ellershaw Close 5 2 37
10 1 38
Also the HALF MOON PUBLIC HOUSE, situate in Pool aforesaid in the occupation of Samuel Stead, with Outbuildings and Appurtenances therefore unto belonging together with two closes of land therewith occupied, called the Low Pastures and containing together, in Statute Measure, Six acres or thereabouts, be the same more or less.
Also a PASTEBOARD MANUFACTORY situate in Pool aforesaid in the occupation of Thos. Lockton with a Close of Land occupied therewith called the Mill Garth and containing in Statue Measure 1A. 1R.36P or thereabouts, (Brook Cottage, Mill Lane) A House and School in the Occupation of James Thompson; a Butchers Shop in the occupation of Joseph Stead and Co.;
Twelve cottages in the several Occupations of Michael Nicholson and his Undertenants, Ann Heavysides, Joseph Snell, John Shoesmith, Thomas Heavysides and Susannah Jowitt; and a small Garden in the occupation of John Shires. Some of these would appear to be Chapel Row and St Wilfrid’s Terrace.(Michael Nicholson was Pool Paper Mill at the time and lived at Ryddings House, Otley Road)
Pool is Two miles distant from Otley on the York Road and Six from Harewood.”
Until around 1823, the house was owned by John Milthorp, maltster, farmer and Pool paper mill owner, after which Mrs. Nowell Stott lived there as the 1839, death announcement shows.
The Leeds Mercury “Deaths. 8th April 1839 On Tuesday, at Poole near Otley. Mrs. Ann Nowell Stott relict of the late Nowell Stott Esq. of Manchester”. This is the first record, so far, of a date when the Stott family were living at Pool House.(see gravestone)
The House was later owned by Susannah Stott, who died 11th April1873, who according to her gravestone in St. Wilfrid’s, originated from Eccleshill Hall, Nr. Bradford. It would appear she did not live in the house as before 1825 it had been tenanted by Richard Bickerdyke. (1821 (Bains Directory) the White Hart was tenanted by Richard Bickerdyke who lived from 1759 to1829. (for more details see White Hart.) According to S.H.P “under the ownership of Miss Susannah Stott the licence was transferred from Pool House to present White Hart, probably c.1825 . Other tenants were John Bingley, Wm Ockerby (or Ackerby), Osborn, Binns and Wm Austin (1731-1871) (gravestone). William Austin of Pool House died 28.5.1871, as shown on the 1871 census as a retired merchant 40 years of age with his son, also William, born in Australia with 6 daughters.
The Tythe map of 1849 confirms that Miss Stott was the owner of Pool House, with William Akerby the occupier. who also farmed many adjoining fields, and near the corn mill; “Low Field Bridge and shop” for the Stotts
A map of 1902 showing the majority of these fields were now owned by Stanhopes, who through inheritance, owned Pool House
According to S.H.P Miss Susannah Greene Stott, who had been known as a Bradford socialite, came to live in Pool House in 1874. (Eccleshill Hall was demolished in 1878) She had inherited the property and land from her cousin, Miss Susannah Stott who died on 11.4.1873 (see Pool gravestone) After the death of Miss Susannah Greene Stott, on 25th October 1883, age 59, also formerly of Eccleshill Hall, (School Log says her funeral was held 29th Oct. 1883) the house and land was left to her companion The Honorable Miss Augusta Mary Yorke whom she had adopted.. In 1892 at the age of 43, Miss Augusta Mary Yorke married Herbert Stanhope, aged 47 years from 43 Albermarle Street London. The census of 1911 states the house was inhabited by Herbert Stanhope and Augusta Mary, his place of birth is shown as Eccleshill . The marriage certificate shows his father as George S. Stanhope a Leutenant Colonel. Miss Yorke’s father was James Charles Yorke a late Captain in the 5th Dragoon Guards. One reference in Miss Susannah Greene Stott’s will calls Miss York “The Honorable”. Nowell Stanhope Stott was President of Arthington Show 1908.
After Miss York’s death the house and property was left to Miss S.Greene Stott’s nephew, Nowell Stanhope Clarke. In Miss Greene Stott’s will she declared that “Nowell Stanhope Clark and every other person who under the limitations should assume the use under the sanction of an Act of Parliament or License from the Crown of in pursuance of a Declaration by him or her by a Deed enroll the surname of STOTT alone.” In 1884 he duly changed his name, by Royal License to Stanhope Stott therefore assuming the name and Arms of Stott. He was succeeded by his son, Capt. John Nowell Stanhope Stott whose address was “The Cavalry Club, Piccadilly, a retired captain in His Majesty’s Army” John Nowell Stanhope Stott, Captain in the 5th Dragoon Guards (a cavalry regiment) obtained his first Aviators Certificate (Royal Aero Club Certificate No. 373) in a Vickers Monoplane, at Vickers School Brooklands on 17th Dec. 1912.(The Stanhopes still hold high posts within the military 2013)
Morning Post, London, Thursday 4th Sept 1884
“Her Majesty has been pleased by royal license dated 25th ult. to grant unto Nowell Stanhope Clark of Austinfriars, London, Chislehurst Kent and of Newton–in-Bowland, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, Esquire her permission that he and his issue may in compliance with the direction of his aunt, Miss Susannah Greene Stott of Pool House, in Wharfedale, in the West Riding, take the surname of Stott only and that he and they, may bear the arms of Stott”.
The land owned in Pool by the “Stotts Trust” in 1921 was over 72 acres. Pool House, in the will of Susannah Greene Stott of 1880, is described as “a mansion house known as “Pool House” with the cottage greenhouses and outbuildings adjoining or belonging to the gardens, pleasure grounds, orchards and paddock occupied therein situate at Pool.” The census of 1911 states the House has 13 rooms and 3 attics (this did not count kitchens)
Other properties in 1919 were: a farm with farm house and buildings and 12 closes of land also containing in all 69a.9r.39p in the occupation of George Newby as tenant at an annual rent of £140. (This will be Pool Farm Cottage on Stocks Hill) The “ White Hart Inn Farm “with buildings garden and orchard in all about half an acre now in the occupation of Daniel Byford as tenant at an annual rent of £80.( A map of the White Hart Inn Farm in the Stott deeds, has a pencil date of 1857.) Brook Cottage (Mill Lane) with garden of about half an acre in the occupation of George Portway at an annual rent of £32.4.0d.; A garden of about quarter of an acre occupied by Mr. Barber at annual rent of £2.10.0d. (“part of playground” – deeds, (believed to be present playground near bridge)
For land owned by Stanhopes see map 1902 and Tithe map of 1849 under Stott. and the Pullein Deeds in archive. By 1921 the land north of Mill Lane which had been owned by Herbert Stanhope had passed to Nowel Stanhope Stott. (house deeds for The Rock, Mill Lane). Around 1900 the Leeds And District Amalgamated Society of Anglers paid £4 per annum for fishing in the River. (Deeds including marriage and death certificates of the Stanhope/ Stotts in Pool Archives)
Around 1913 the Stanhope’s chauffeur was Bert Whiteheads father, Albert. He was sent to London to learn to drive and maintain their White steam engine car, which was brought back to Pool. He remembers it being driven away about 1918. (Manufactured in 1901 with the name of White Stanhope Steam Car it became motorised in 1910. for details of the car see “Vehicles” on computer. These cars were to be manufactured by Vickers in Otley, but it never happened. Paynes of Otley became local agents.
The Stanhopes had as many as twelve staff. The cellar has a well which until recently regularly flooded.(2003) The row of houses named now Church Garth were originally accommodation for Pool House staff. Church Garth’s row of garages were stables and tacking rooms.
The first cottage on the left, looking at the house from the road, was the housekeepers house, because of its offset doorway it is thought by P.T. to have been a shop entrance at some time. The last house being the gardener’s cottage. There also appears to have been a large glass house attached to the south of the main house. (map)
It is assumed that Stanhope cottages on Main Street, were extended at the back by the Stanhopes, the original three cottages were part of Ivy Farm. (details of Stanhope cottages see Terraced cottages)
Capt.John Nowell Stanhope Stott (in His Majesty’s Army, retired) signed an agreement on 9.11.22 with Robert Feather, Auctioneer & Valuer and Leigh Feather to sell Pool House, cottages, garden and paddock (now Church Garth) It was then sold on 21.2.1923 to Thomas Walsh for £3,500.00. In May 1945 Thomas Walsh sold the house, cottage buildings, gardens and paddock of 10.142 acres to Leigh Feather of the Beeches, Bradford, a County Wool Merchant and Top maker. The price was £6,050.00 (deeds). In 1956 the land had been sold for the building of Church Close and in 1976 Church Garth. The house is now converted into 4 flats.
During the 2nd World War the billiard room, the first cottage to the east, was used for Catholic services when owned by Mr.Thomas Walsh of Walsh’s department store, Sheffield. The loft in Pool House is still partitioned off, this may have been used to house refugees who were housed there during the war.
After the refurbishment of the church in 1880 Miss S. Greene Stott had a disagreement with St. Wilfrid’s church. She objected to not having a pew solely for the use of her and her staff, resulting in much disagreement. A group of quarry workers, Horner Bradley, Pickard & Frank purposely sat in “her” pew to make a point. There are four stained glass windows in St. Wilfrid’s church commemorating Miss Susannah Stott who died in 1873.
Extracts from The Wharfedale Observer, Nov. 3rd. 1882. “There has been of late some little unpleasantness in church matters” After the church refurbishments the pew regularly used by Miss Greene Stott of Pool House had not been allocated to her for her, and her household’s sole use. She had appealed to the Bishop, who was on
her side. A petition was signed by upwards of 60 parishioners, who said she should not retain the right and given to the Bishop on his presence at the memorial. “The result is anxiously awaited”. Her wish was not granted
12th Oct. 1883. “Vile Outrage – was perpetrated in this village on Tuesday evening. Some miscreant, at present unknown, has poisoned 27 ducks and 7 fowls belonging to Miss Stott. Why this lady has been subjected to this annoyance it is difficult to state. But every right minded person cannot but look upon it with some abhorrence”
c. 1929 (Now demolished)
RYDDINGS HOUSE Otley Road, (date unknown) Mill house for Low Mill, the paper mill, demolished in 1929 to allow extensions to Whiteley’s mill. Once the home of Michael Nicholson, mill owner from 1809, living there in 1850. Divided into two to accommodate the two families of Frank Parker and William Yates, both in partnership as paper manufacturers. In 1871 was employing 12 men.
April 2nd 1886. “The Failure of William Yates. The first meeting of the creditors of William Yates, Paper Manufacturer of Pool was held at the office of the Official Receiver, Park Row, Leeds on Monday. The Statement of Affairs showed liabilities of £1,315.10s.3d. Assets £631.19s1d. leaving a deficiency of £639.11s.2d. As the reason for failure the deitor alleged depression of trade, not being able to compete with larger makers and ill health preventing his full attention to business.” The Official Receiver reported that the bankrupt commenced business in 1868 in partnership, his partner (Frank Parker) who died in 1872”. It appeared the machinery was old fashioned. He obtained a reduction in rent to attempt to keep going. The machinery and mill was claimed by the landlord (Michael Nicholson Milthorp Snowdon) under a lease. (Wharfedale ObserverThe house became the first home of Ben and Sam Whiteley c.1886.
“The spelling has always been known to me as Rhyddings and when we moved to the newly built house, the third from the west end of the mill, my father transferred the old name to our new house as the old one was to be demolished for mill extensions”.-“Yes there were two houses. The Rosary was attached to the High Mills while Rhyddings House was the mill house for the lower later mills. ”David Whiteley. Census shows spelling “Riddings House”.
ROCK THE (2005), Mill Lane, formerly known as Rose Cottage also The Cottage. Originally two cottages, Elizabeth Mason & Joseph Wimpenny occupying cottage and yard on Tythe map of 1849. Built before the death of Michael Nicholson (14th Feb. 1858) on land bounded to the north and east by property belonging in 1913 and 1918 Herbert Stanhope (lived at Pool House) and in 1921 by Noel Stanhope Stott. (house deeds)
In a sale of 1902 by Excs. of Michael Nicholson (Pool Paper mill owner from 1809) (Will dated 21.7.1857) Lot 3 sold to Clara Denton of Park Buildings, Pool for £255.0.0. At that time they were two cottages rented out to Messrs. Ridealgh and Huddlestone for £15 per annum.
Converted into one house and with porch in 1949 by owner Australian, Capt. Henry Vernon Worrall, D.S.C. and Bar, Croix de Guerre retired York Aviation company director. (deeds) ~Test pilot with Blackburn Aircraft at Brough. In 1920’s joined Sir Alan Cobham as his co-pilot on long distance flights of exploration, was Club Manager/Secretary and Chief Flying Instructor at Yeadon Aero Club (“My mother worked at Avro”) Other occupants & owners: Michael Nicholson in will of 1857; 1903 Clara Denton; 1913 Annie H. Dacre: 1918 Mr. & Mrs. S.M.Foster (later running North View Stores, paper shop on Main St, opposite the White Hart also the now Post Office (2009) also built the present Post Office; 1925 H. Hainsworth; 1949 Messrs. H.P (Elm Bank Pool) and J.H. Worrall; 1956 P. Pestell; 1960 Mrs. C. Laycock; 1961 W.A. Jones; 1963 Mrs. E.M.C.Smith; 1968 Mrs. V. Webster; 1975 Miss M.H. Payne and Miss K.Sanderson.(deeds).
c. 1920 c.1925
THE ROSARY, 17th century, also named “Old Mill House”, Otley Road., partly demolished in 1956 by Whiteleys. It had blacksmiths shop attached, where John Pullan (1805 – 1882) was the blacksmith to the High Mill. There was a Tudor room above and a Jacobean staircase (SHP) “The Rosary was attached to the High Mills while the old Rhyddings House, now demolished, was the mill house for the lower later mills.” – David Whiteley e-mail
It was the home of W. L. Whiteley soon after taking over the Low Mill in 1886. His son William (1896-1967) and daughter Ennis (1893) were born there. They left the Rosary to live in Fairview on Otley Road, Pool in 1898. His eldest son Holmes Whiteley (1888-1965) and his family later lived there. Holmes left in 1940 to move to Overdale. Later Harold Mortimer Wood and Jean (nee Whiteley, Holmes daughter) Wood lived there. “Was icy cold to live in” Jean Wood (died 18.4.2002 at her home in Leathley). Last tenant was Mr. Giles. Electric light was installed for the mill and mill house in 1911 at a cost of £66.
Partially demolished in 1956 by Whiteleys to be used as the repair workshop for the mill vehicles. Freddie Midgley was chief mechanic after WW2 . (another Mill House for the Corn Mill on Mill Lane, with a further Mill House on Otley Road, the demolished Ryddings House, was mill house to Low Mill/paper mill). The Rosary was where the Blue Barn now stands, remains of the three sides of the walls and windows can still be seen to the rear.
STONE RIDGE, Pool Bank New Road, built originally as a coach house and stables for White House Farm/Pool Farm (deeds of Brayton Cottage see White House below) believed to have been built in the mid 1700’s, converted into the present house c.1980.
TOLL GATE Junction of Harrogate Road and Leathley/Castley Lane demolished in 1910 Built in 1753. Map of 1767 shows “Toll Gate”, and map of 1847 “Leathley Turnpike”. The last toll gate keeper was Susannah Horner. A map shows that by 1888 it had become a police station with a water pump and trough nearby.
1944 Rear view. 2002 front view
WHITE HOUSE (possibly on the map of 1756.) WHITE HOUSE FARM, in 1849 also known as Pool Farm on Poole Doles of 1826, This is possibly a Georgian (1714-1830) house, as evidence there is glass of various colours still in some of the windows. A piece of this thin broken pink glass is kept by the owner with the date on the box marked “early Georgian 1740”. Enquiries made to English Heritage in 2004 confirm that glass of this type was used during the 18th century.
Aaron Briggs lived there in 1849 (Tythe map). Owned by Michael Nicholson prior to his death in 1858 along with 2 service cottages, known as Chestnut Cottage and Plainville Cottage (converted into one house, Brayton Cottage c.1961) and a coach house (known in 1980 as Stone Ridge (deeds). Aaron Briggs was succeeded by Oddy, Hale, Hall, Jonathan Barrett.
In 1910 it was owned by Alfred Whitehead, (29.5.1839/19.7.1910) Leeds cloth merchant, who had two daughters, Gertrude (15.5.1866/10.1.1925) & Amy Elderhorst (16.11.1864/11.10.1946) who bred bull dogs (see -Memories )and two sons Arthur Langley (1.12.1868/5.10.1930) and John Langley (20.7.1884/22.11.1894). Before moving to the White House, the daughters had first lived with their father Alfred W. Whitehead, in Bryn Afon (Bank House). The White House was bought by Alfred Whitehead from the executors of Michael Nicholson in 1903 sale together with Pool Waterworks company which they owned until c. 1935 when it was sold to Malcolm Hill. The land is still owned by White House (2017)(see “A Village water supply) In 1910 The White House was called White House Farm which was owned by Mr. Alfred Whitehead along with Bryn Afon. (Electoral roll 1910). . Two stained glass windows are in St.Wilfrid’s church in memory of Alfred placed there 1910. In the garden was an old brass sundial with “John Emmet fecit 1782 ” on top. (SHP) Emmet was shown as a stonemason in the village in 1841. The base for the sundial is still there together with the evidence of a previous dial but it has been replaced by another. A John Emmet is listed in the 1841 census as being a farmer. Burials list show a Joseph Emmet died in 1866. There are four old pieces of sculpture in the garden, like finnials & shaped similar to a Fleur de Lysle, these and a fountain were brought by Mr. Malcolm Hill c.1935 when he moved into the house from Addingham. The house itself has a beautiful carved fire surround and old grate, There are still the old wooden shutters to two windows. (To protect the windows the owners in 2013 have refrained from having them double glazed even though it is extremely cold in winter)
When the Tankards renovated the house in 1935 after Amy Whitehead had left, there was a dog kennel in every room and the house smelled of dogs for many months. Apparently whenever a dog died a proper funeral service was held by Miss Amy. She also had a parrot which every morning said “Good morning Amy, have you used Pears soap today?”. It would also give a wolf whistle. The floorboards were stuffed solid with chaff, apparently from rats. There were dog kennels and loose boxes outside. There was a cellar under the lounge approached by stone steps which was entered from outside. They also built a fountain in the garden.(Roland Tankard) During W.W.2 the outhouses were used as a bake house for the soldiers patrolling the Pool railway station.
C.1900 WHITE COTTAGE. This is shown on the Award map of 1774 on Old Pool Bank just above the old railway bridge on the north side r.h.s. Now demolished, there is now an entrance to farmer Homes field. This thatched cottage was believed to be another Toll Bar, older members of the village remember mention of a Toll Bar at the bottom of Old Pool Bank, but on the Award map of 1774 “Turnpike Bar” appears at the very bottom of Old Pool Bank, on the opposite side. The cottage shown may have been owned by White House Farm, opposite. The last tenants were Harper and Ibbotson.