Uncategorised

A Village water supply

Posted on

Central Pool showing part of the route of the water supply system A Brief History 1809 Michael Nicholson purchases Pool Low Mill (Pool paper Mill) from Milthorp family. 1858 Death of Michael Nicholson. **It would appear he, or the Milthorp’s, laid down the water supply system as it was shown in the will of Michael […]

Living

Terraced Cottages and Houses

Posted on

TERRACED COTTAGES/HOUSES Year 2000. BAR HOUSE ROW & POOL BANK CHAIN BAR on Old Pool Bank. (The Chain Bar is Grade 11 listed) Bar House Row was built for quarry workers in 1892 with stone taken from the Fairy Dell part of Pool Quarries, thought to be the lower part of Old Pool Bank Quarry. […]

Living

Houses pre 1850 – 1

Posted on

HOUSES – Pre 1850 2010 BANK HOUSE/ OLD BANK /BRYN AFON on Old Pool Bank, (road) known as Bryn Afon in 1847 and now Bank House. A map of 1756 shows there to be two houses here, one a little behind the other named High Croft and Low Croft and owned by the then Lord […]

Living

Houses pre 1850 – 2

Posted on

PLAINVILLE/PARK HOUSE/POOL COURT/MONKMANS Also ROSEDENE According to deeds of Brayton Cottage, Plainville was also called Rosedene. It was a Georgian residence c. 1800, is on the map of 1847 and possibly the map of 1756. Known originally as Plainville. The house was built on the foundations of a farm with some splendid large cellars. (photo […]

Living

Houses post 1850

Posted on

HOUSES post 1850 BALGOWNIE, Mill Lane, built by Allison Tankard of Fountain Villa in 1908-9 for £250, as a wedding gift for one of his two daughters. Mrs. Mary Thrackrah and her husband, James Henderson Thrackray b. 1882, was the Pool Parish Council secretary, followed by their younger son Ian and wife Ina. Lived there […]