HOUSES post 1850
BALGOWNIE, Mill Lane, built by Allison Tankard of Fountain Villa in 1908-9 for £250, as a wedding gift for one of his two daughters. Mrs. Mary Thrackrah and her husband, James Henderson Thrackray b. 1882, was the Pool Parish Council secretary, followed by their younger son Ian and wife Ina. Lived there until 1958.
BECONIE alongside Woodgarth. Pool Bank New Road. 2 pairs of semi detached built in 1899 by Tom Swallow of Troutbeck
Beech Bank (left) & Laurel Bank (right) 2005
BEECH BANK & LAUREL BANK Arthington Lane. The land on which the two houses were built (minus the garden sold later) (told sold to vicar, Rev.. O R.P.Daneill Bainbridge, MA, for the use of his two daughters in 1899. “and will not use any building to be erected on the said plot of land for the purpose of any trade, manufacture or business or as an asylum for lunatics or idiots hospital or other charitable institution, nor as a tea garden or hotel or tavern or for the sale of beer wine or spirits”; sold to Miss Mary Ann Bladon in 1921 for £1,050, married in 1938 & became Mary Ann Marsden; 1946 Mary Ann Batchelor: to Kate Whiteley £,1,250: 1948 Kate Whiteley to Mrs. Annie Eliza Smith for £2,500; 1968 Mr. & Mrs. P. B. Shanley £5,600; 1981 Mr. & Mrs. G. Wright £45,000; BEECH BANK was home to Richie and Elsie Bigland then in 1946/7 to Bill and Nancy Whiteley.
Dalefoot (right) & Braeburn 2005
BRAEBURN, Arthington Lane, (house on left) was built on land purchased on 19th Oct.1903 by Thomas Mallorie Pullein. The land stretched down and along the river side in an inverted “L” shape, an area of over 17 acres. In 1921 Walter Thomas Pullein, Pool and William Pullein, Horsforth, both butchers sold the property to William Mason Coggill, architect for £1,100. His brother?, Corpl. Harold Coggill was killed in action 1st July 1916. Buried at Serre Road No. 1 Cemetery West of Serre, France. The house remained in the family until 1948.(deeds)
Mr. Coggill was secretary of the British Legion.
Other owners have been John Dyson –1948: Arthur and Marjorie Joyce Mitchell -1961: Malcolm Giles – 1970: Mr. & Mrs. Brenkel -1988. (Deeds)
BRAIME HOUSE, Otley Road, Land bought in 1902 by P. Patrick, Peter Patrick & Son, Wharfedale Saw Mills, Otley. The land, “Far Scallons” was bought by Mr. P. Patrick of Otley from the sale of the Manor Estate (Pulleins) in 1902 for £600. Owned by Robert Feather of Cartref, auctioneer and valuer in 1922. Sold in 30th Sept.1946 to B. S. & W. Whiteley with Cartref, The Lodge, garages, green houses and 7,598 acres of land. Owned by Weidman Whiteley.
Rifffa View (L) & Brooklyn(R) c. 1912 Riffa View Land sale map c. 1910
BROOKLYN & RIFFA VIEW semis (Brooklyn previously known as Rosedean). Riffa View (house on left) built on 35 sq. acres of land stretching tp Pool Beck, purchased from Thomas Mallorie Pullein in 1909 by Arthur Green, boot manufacturer, and to build a new ditch close to the main sewer. The land had been purchased 19th Oct. 1903 from the Milthorp estate. House purchased in 1946 from W. A. Armitage by R. E. Compston, retired Leeds Railway official. 1962 approx 2.1/2 acres of land adjoining the rear was purchased by Alexander Cartlidge of Pool Crook Farm for £2,000.(deeds), sold in 1965 to Brian Cranfield for £3,925.00
BROOKLEA Arthington Lane, see SUNNYSIDE
CALEY NEW HALL was built c.1965 on the site of Caley Hall, which had been demolished in 1964. In 2010 it sold for £1,195,00, quoted as having approx 2.6 acres of ground..
CARTREF (Celtic for “home” from Cartref in Wales – SHP) Otley Road, Built in 1908 on land called “Far Scallons”, bought in 1902 during the sale by the Pulliens of the Manor House Estate, by P. Patrick of Otley for £600. Owned by William Patrick, son of Peter Patrick & Son, Wharfedale Saw Mills, Otley.(wife Paterson) The house was built near the site of the small ancient farm of Cartref. (This was possibly an old Milthorp farm marked on the Award map for old Pool Bank of 1774) Used by the War Agriculture Dept in WW2. Bought by Robert Feather, Auctioneer and valuer, in 1922 to at least 1928. Derek Pullein owned it for a short while. Bought by Whiteleys c. 1945 for £9,100 including a farm and two cottages then sold in 1975 to C. W. Whiteley as sitting tenant for £20,000 who sold Nigel & Eleenor McClea in 1992, who made considerable extensions. Cartref Cottages were built for service staff.
CHORISTRY, THE (R)and RIEVERS, (L)Arthington Lane. Two semis.built in 1907
Choristry built by Colonel Wm. Child sold to Sir Algenon Firth whose brother Sir Chas. was first tenant. (SHP) Wm. Child built and lived in Troutbeck c. 1870.
The Choristry occupied by Mrs Hollis c. 1925 and Biglands c. 1940. Dr. & Mrs. R. Calvert c.1995 –
The Rievers (left) occupied by Brigadier Hargreaves c. 1920. Ted & Liz Joce c. 1968-c.2008
CHURCH CLOSE built by Wharfedale Rural Council. Planned in 1956, “What is hoped will be one of the most attractive housing estates in the district is planned by Wharfedale Rural Council on a seven acre site off Church Lane, Pool. The scheme is for 70 houses and 8 two bed roomed bungalows. It is expected to cost into the region of £100,000. It was originally laid down by the higher authority that pre-fabricated houses must be erected and great efforts were made to get this ruling altered. Eventually permission was given to build “traditional” houses.” Wharfedale Observer 1955. Built on land previously owned by Pool House. The PPC minutes record, “48 three bed houses, 23 two bed houses and eight old peoples’ bungalows being built in Sept. 1956”.
CRANFORD Mill Lane built by Wm. Pullein for William Charles Cockram c.1907. His son Harry was a member of the “Leeds Pals” in WW1. Extended in 2009, new front garden & gates 2013. Resident in 1950’s Mr. Stavert. Miss Cockram married Holmes Whiteley in 1915. Extended in c.2010
ELM BANK Pool Bank New Road. The house was built by Tom Swallow of Troutbeck c.1900 and was home to J. R. Musgrave, who built the row of houses named Chevin View, Main Street, in 1905. Leonard Musgrave was the company secretary to Whiteley’s paper mill in the 1930’s. Advertised for sale in 2007 for £695,000.
ELM NOOK Otley Road, was the first of three houses built nearest to the mill, for the directors of B.S.&. W. Whiteley Ltd. In 1924. This was the home of William Whiteley Jnr. In the 1980’s this was joined to Highfields to form an old people’s residential home, Elm Nook Residential Home. C.2000 they again became two separate houses when Elm Nook became the offices of Antler Homes Ltd. In 2008 converted to small office suites and renamed Elm House.
ELSINOR , Mill Lane, built 1908-9 by Allison Tankard of Fountain Villa, Arthington Lane, as a wedding gift for one of his two daughters. Understood from grandson Roland Tankard that it was also designed by Allison Tankard.
FAIRVIEW, Otley Road. William L. Whiteley had at some time bought the land from the Pullein family and built this house where he and his wife Jane lived. Jane tried to augment their income by offering apartments. He later sold the house to the Pulleins, the Pullein family being the Lords of the Manor of Pool until the sale of their land and property in 1902. The house has now been converted into a nursing home known as Snelroyd Nursing Home. Mr. N. Pullein living in the house in 1929. Other early occupants: Mr. & Mrs. E. Reed, stained glass artist; Mrs. Kelley & her son.
Fair Mead 2014
FAIR MEAD, Pool Bank New Road, built by Tom Swallow (1845-1917) (SHP) for Charles Whitehead in 1898 a machine maker. 1911 (census) C. Whitehead still living there.
FAIRLEA, Arthington Lane. Also been known as The Croft and see White Croft. Built by Harker (SHP)
Firs Hill Lodge 1956
FIRS HILL LODGE, Staircase Lane, down the drive on Staircase Lane, was originally the coach house for Firs Hill Court. Freddie Midgley remembers there being two cottages in the1920’s used by the gardener and chauffeur. Later occupied by Mr. & Mrs. Morse who kept a poultry farm here around 1920. C. 1980 Linda and Geoff Chew. Garden re-designed with swimming pool c. 1985. Large alterations in 2015.
Firs Hill Court 2005
FIRS HILL COURT Pool Bank. The postal address for this house is still Staircase Lane. Built c.1890 by Richard Nicholls (SHP) for Stella Nicholls, who later joined a Romanist Convent. In 1913 was known as “Furze Hill” when owned by Mr. E. Gaunt Hudson.(Pool Institute Ltd. card-I.2.12.). Charles Bernard Catt is shown on the Electoral Roll of 1910. owning 9 acres of land including house, land, wood and sport in 1922. John. S. Shaw, glass manufacturer lived here c.1915. c.1916 was fined £4,000 with costs, for sale of shares in 1913 when purchasing a patent for the process for grinding the necks and stoppers of glass bottles called the “Interchangeable Stopper Co. Ltd.” (cutting). Occupied by Blackwell c. 1920. Fountain Villa 2005
FOUNTAIN VILLA, Arthington Lane, built 1901 by Allison Tankard, born 1860. (son George Aldi, grandson Roland). When he came to Pool he first rented the top house to the south on Sandy Lobby, which had just been built by Tom Swallow, which was rented to him believing he was going to buy some of his land to build his house. Instead Fountain Villa was built on land which had been bought from the Pulleins. The family then had to move for a short time to Bar House Row. Allison Tankard was a drawing master at St. Matthew;s Technical School in Leeds. In his youth he had been one of only three prize winners in a designing competition open to the world. Whilst at Leeds he invented a kiln for burning the colours in glass.(see “ Families”) He built Wharfe View in 1907. He was also a Wharfedale councillor and Pool Parish Council Chairman from c.1910 to his sudden death on 2.3.1930 aged 70
G. Aldi Tankard, was his son and Roland Tankard his grandson, both maintaining Pool Waterworks from 1914 to 1980. The family lived in Fountain Villa until c.1980. The Tankards were builders, electricians and engineers in Pool. Aldi Tankard made Sunlight Acetylene generators, one fitted in Methodist church, one in White Hart and one in Plainville/Park House/Monkmans. (demolished in 2002)
The garden is very long and when kept by Mrs. Allison Tankard there was only the front garden which had flowers. There was a paddock, fruit trees and vegetable garden at the rear. The side was gardened by Roland’s “grandmother who grew soft fruit and sold them to a man from Leeds at 2/6d. per stone for gooseberries”. Large extensions took place in 2009 on. (see Families )
GLEN ROYD c. 1950
GLEN ROYD situated to the west side of Cragg View, Leeds Road, built 1800, demolished c.1960 (believed to have been unstable due to movement of Pool Bank). In 1881 occupied by Benjamin Whitaker, stone merchant (census) In 1909 occupied by Frank Whitaker, his wife, son and daughter ,who were from the Whitaker family, owners of Pool Bank Quarries. Later owned by Mr. Groves who built Groves Terrace, Old Pool Bank living there in 1921. Finally it became the home of Mrs. Harrop,” a smart lady always wearing a hat.” The corner on the main A660 was known as “Harrop’s Corner”.
2001 rear (prior & after conversion into cottages). 2003 front view (farm on right)
HALL FARM , Main Street. Part of the Grade 2 listed Pool Hall. The farmhouse was built at the west end of the row cottages opposite the White Hart c.1900.(Diary of a Dalesman”) Originally the rear farm buildings above were part of Pool Hall when a farm. Prior to the building of Hall farm, the area was used by Stephen Kaye Joiners c.1860 until moving to Arthington Lane in 1903.(Photo) Believed to have had a blacksmith, possibly R. Hanley. The farm was owned by the Holmes family from c. 1903 to its closing in 2001. Seems now incorrectly named Pool Hall Farm (2012)(see “Houses pre-1850)
HIGH MEAD Avenue des Hirondelles. Built for Mr. Knight, jeweller, in 1906, on land owned by Tom Swallow, Troutbeck, Pool-in-Wharfedale.
HIGHFIELD, Otley Road, was the middle of three houses built in 1924, alongside each other by the Whiteley family to house the three directors of the mill – Ryddings House and Elm Nook being the others. Highfield became the home of William L. Whiteley. The owner of Torracks Hill, Sir Francis Watson MP for Pudsey & Otley referred to these three houses as the “directors’ cottages” and planted a thick belt of trees on the roadside to screen them from his view. (David Whiteley Memoirs). In the 1980’s this was joined with Elm Nook to form an old people’s home, Elm Nook Residential Home. c.2000 Highfield became company offices for Climatic Conversions
KEPSTORN HOUSE see Swiss Villa
LANE END, Church Lane. (Lodge Lane). Built for C. W. Whiteley after he sold Cartref in 1992
LAUREL BANK see Beech Bank above.
LINTON HOUSE Avenue des Hirondelles
LONGLANDS COTTAGES (2), Otley Road opposite Cartref Cottages. A meadow field called Long Land, of 3 acres including half the river was purchased by Mr. T. Pullein for £295 in a sale of property by the Manor House Estate in 1902. The land was then bought and the cottages built by Mrs. Jane Whiteley in 1912 at a cost of £332. The house nearest the village was the home of William L. Whiteley and Jane. In 1917 David Holmes Whiteley son of Holmes Whiteley, was born there. David Whiteley Memoirs.
MANOR GARDENS were built c. 1930 on land called Chapel Hill earlier named Cowpasture. The owners need to legally sign that they will not keep hens, have factory containing power machinery and no advertising hoarding or noisy noxious or offensive trade. Possibly on land originally owned by the church when a Chapel of Ease.
MERRYEND , Tower Drive. Built for Mrs. Wilkie-Snow. Bought by John and Mavis Whiteley (director of B.S.&W. Whiteley Ltd.) in 1959. John was grandson of William Lumb Whiteley, co founder of Whiteley’s mill). They were married on 27.10.1951.
OVERDALE MANOR/OVERDALE/THE PROSPECT, Old Pool Bank, originally named The Prospect was built in 1896 by Jn. Wm. Foster (1840-1907), a Leeds draper, on land bought from Mr. Tom Swallow of Troutbeck. The foundation stone is dated “L.A.F. 1899”. After the death of Foster it was sold by his trustees to David Evans on 12.12.1913, (David Evans was the Guardian of William’s (Whiteley) one time girl friend Esther Hardman). Sold to *Clifford Wilson on 12.7.1921; Charles Darrah on 22.11.1927; Holmes Whiteley on 21.7.1940; Mr. Long 1990.
The original owner, John William Foster emigrated to Canada with his new wife where he was given a piece of land by the Canadian Government on condition he remained in there for 10 years. He later returned to England opening a drapery business in Leeds. He built “The Prospect” in 1899, where he lived until his death in 1907 and is buried in St. Wilfrid’s Church yard.
Leonard Foster Second Lieutenant in West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Own) 15th Bn. Died in London 13.8.1916 after wounded in Battle of Somme 1.7.1916 age 27. Cemetery: St. Wilfrid Churchyard, Pool. Son of Jn. Wm. Foster of The Prospect (Overdale Manor), Old Pool Bank, Pool
(info from Graham Wadsworth, Kirby Lonsdale, whose wife’s grandfather was J.W.Foster)
Clifford Wilson purchased additional land from the Misses Amy and Gertrude Whitehead (lived at Bank House/Old Bank, Old Pool Bank (road), completing the bottom field and allowing the construction of the present driveway to the left of the gates. The driveway originally went to the right from the gates and then across the front of the house.
After the death of Mr. Wilson the house passed, on 22/11/1927, to Mr. Charles Darrah. Darrah was musically inclined and he added a single storey range containing, in addition to a butlers’ pantry, a very good two manual pipe organ, with a pneumatic action between the console in an oak panelled room and the organ chamber hidden in an adjoining chamber dug into the hillside. The organ was completely overhauled and action electrified by Mr. Geoffrey Coffin, deputy organist at York Minster, during David’s (Whiteley) later years as owner in the 1970’s” (Memoirs” by David Whiteley).
I am told that the high wooden “garage” opposite Valley View, Old Pool Bank, was used by Mrs. Darrah to house a high vehicle from which she would tour round preaching the Gospel. She would collect people from Pool in her car and take them to worship in the Old Pool Bank Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
A track was laid through the bottom field from Old Pool Bank (road) to the house in 2015.
The house was bought on 15.7.1940 from the executors of the late Charles Darrah by Holmes Whiteley (son of William a co-founder of Whiteleys paper mill) who moved his family from Rhyddings House, Otley Road) for the sum of £2,500, including 2 fields and some woodland and detached garage on the roadside. ( The original asking price had been £6,500.) David Whiteley who was Holmes’s son, moved there 6.6.1966. David told me his father (Holmes Whiteley) often went into the roof void to check all was well as he couldn’t believe he had bought the house so cheaply and expected to find something wrong with it.
OVERDALE LODGE, Old Pool Bank (road) .Originally the garage for Overdale Manor Overdale/The Prospect, converted into a house c. 1990. Extended to east c. 2015
PARK BUNGALOW , (Magnolia Cottage in 2014), Arthington Lane. Built by the Milthorps of
Plainville/Park House/PoolCourt/Monkmans on part of their land, known as The Park, and
believed to be the gardener’s house . Census 1911 Park House Cottage, Harry Denton
c. 1980 2013 (showing alterations)
POOL HOUSE FARM at the end of Church Lane. Land owned by Pool House in 1823. In 1922 was owned by Stanhopes of Pool House, occupied by Edward Bell (42 acres). The Stanhopes later sold the farm to the Pulleins, was sold around 1980 by Derek Pullein (Manor of Pool relative). The land included some 57.40 acres of grass and arable land.
THE RIEVERS. See The Choristry occupied by Brigadier Hargreaves c. 1920. Ted & Liz Joce c. 1968-c.2008
RIFFA VIEW see Brooklyn
RUSHMERE LODGE Arthington Lane was built by Mr. T. Swallow (1845-1917) on land called Wet Syke (Syke an old English word meaning beck) or Milestone Field purchased from John Pullein of Pool, corn miller in 1902. This land had been purchased in 1849 by John and James Pullein and John Mallorie from the Armitage family of Farnley Hall, Leeds. (The Pullein family followed the Armitages as Lords of the Manor of Pool). Tom Swallow lived at Troutbeck on Arthington Lane, and built quite a number of large houses in Pool, including some on the Avenue des Hirondelles. The house at one time had tennis courts. When bought by Mr. Rogers it had a small outhouse, which housed a trap as Mr. Everett, a previous owner, would use his pony and trap to travel to Arthington station. When the kitchen was extended it took in this outhouse. The rooms at the back were for the maids, and had high windows believed to be so that they couldn’t see out!
Owners: 17.1.1903 Lacey Nussey Everett, cloth manufacturer., living in Clarendon Road, Leeds in early1903 Later was chairman of the Wharfedale Rural District Council. His mother Elizabeth was the daughter of Obadiah Nussey, Mayor of Leeds in 1863/4.. Father was Robert Lacy Everett of Rushmere, Ipswich.
1.12.1938 Frederick William Harper – Cloth manufacturer from Bradford.
26.2.1971- 2001 Joint owners Mr.& Mrs.John Anthony Sheldon Rodgers, Managing Director who bought it for £9,500. (Deeds)
RYDDINGS HOUSE, Otley Road, built in 1924 was the home of Holmes Whiteley of B.S. & W. Whiteley, One of three houses built for the directors of the company (This named house is not to be confused with the Riddings House,from which it took its’ name, the old mill house, demolished in 1929.) (See also Elm Nook)
SCHOOL HOUSE r. and OLD SCHOOL l. Main Street, School House built in 1881 to house the headmaster of the old village Church of England School. The school was opened in 1872 on land, Water Croft, obtained in 1870 from Wm. Milthorp and executors of Michael Nicholson, Pool Mill owner. The owner/renovator (2005) replaced some doors with those recovered from Ripon Cathedral. A house was built on the school and playground in 2014
STONE HOUSE/OLD VICARAGE Arthington Lane, built as the vicarage in 1889, (stone date 1887) at a cost of £1,915. for the first vicar of Pool, Rev. Reginald P. Daniell-Bainbridge M.A. after St. Wilfrid’s church ceased to be a Chapel of Ease. Remained the vicarage until 1923, when it moved to Surrey Lodge, Arthington Lane. Edgar H. Wilson lived here in 1943 when he was Chairman of Pool Parish Council. Reverted to the name “The Old Vicarage” in 2013
STONEGATE (no details possibly on Avenue des Hirondelles)
SUNNY SIDE, Arthington Lane. The sale also took place on 11th November 1960 of Pool Crook Farm and other residences. Two semi-detached houses known as Brooklea and Sunnyside on Arthington Lane, were included . They were withdrawn at £3,000. Around 1975 Ian and Joan Lomas who lived in Brooklea bought Sunnyside and later converted the whole to one house.
SURREY LODGE Arthington Lane was the vicarage from 1923 to 1980 then called Riversdale, built in 1908. In the early 1920’s a Mr. Glover lived there, he invented a Stick Bundling Machine using wire. He also sold the old corn mill to William L. Whiteley in 1925. Greatly extended and altered by owners in 2007.
SWEDISH HOUSES, Mill Lane, were a post-war gift from the Swedish government and were distributed to mainly rural areas. These 8 wooden pre-fabricated houses, 1 set of 2 semis and 3 sets of 3 dorma bungalows, were first stored at Otley and built in Pool in 1946. They were officially opened 3rd Oct. 1947, attended by Pool Parish Councillors who had arranged their building in Pool. Total cost for erecting was £7,674. A pair of the bungalow style at Auckley, South Yorkshire, have been awarded grade 2 listed status by Historic England (NMidgley)
SWISS COTTAGE, Old Pool Bank. This and the adjacent, The Bungalow, are of wooden construction with the land under lease from Pool Parish Council. In 1970 the owner B.J. Stead obtained permission from P.P.C. to change name from “The Grey Bungalow” to Swiss Cottage. 1965 occupied by Mrs. M. Wardman, The Bungalow was occupied by John Dawson at his birth in April 1922, later occupied by Mr. & Mrs. Dobby: Frank Rackham B.E.M. 1973 then Mr. &. Mrs. Milner (daughter of Rackham) Application to build a bungalow?garage was made by Mrs. Littlefair in 1965. A third bungalow, named Red Cote, occupied by G. A. Farthing, was demolished c. 1975.
SWISS VILLA later divided into 2 houses known as KEPSTORN HOUSE & WHITEGATES. Arthington Lane. Land on which these houses were built began to change hands in 1825 between William Rookes Crompton Stansfield and William Milthorp, maltster of Arthington. In 1834 between William Rookes Crompton, Martha Milthorp and Isabella Milthorp of Arthington (Isabella married John Moore 1838), Mary Coates and John Coates for £3,000(for map of land and full change of hands see Kepstorn deeds in archives). Part of the land containing 7260 sq. yds. was purchased by William Child, Surgeon Dentist of Troutbeck in 1870. Old field names for some of the land: Top Pasture or Far Field and Bottoms, Top Close or Near Field, Bank Side.
Eventually 2 acres 3 roods 3 perches was then sold to Mr. W. Magson Nelson who built the house c.1874 in a similar yellow brick work to The Woodlands.(see later) The house was divided into two and became known as Kepstorn House and Whitegates. Owners have been: Kate Johnstone, daughter of W. Magson Nelson and wife of John Dodds Johnstone of The Tower, Pool. Mary Nelson (Kate’s mother) seems to have given her Swiss Villa in 1906 for the sum of 10/-d. on the death of her husband W. Magson Nelson for her “Natural love and affection”. Kate Johnstone later lived in The Tower until her death in 1929. It would appear from the 1901 census that the house had already been divided into two. Other owners: in 1932 William Thompson, the land now extended from the railway line to the Otley/Tadcaster road. Harold E. Thackay and 1948; Surgeon John Nuttall. In 2004 Aldred left Kepstorn House. (Donated deeds of Kepstorn House to Archive). Another house built in the grounds c. 2014
TORRAKS HILL Otley Road, built by Henry Barker,(formerly of Clydeville, Otley) .(25.8.1863-25.1.1919). leather manufacturer of Otley in 1903. He died after a long illness aged 54. The house was built on land anciently known as Turks Hill and bought by him from the Park House estate of Michael Nicholson in 1903. Henry Barker was a member of Wharfedale Board of Guardians & Otley Lodge of Freemasons. He had 5 sons and 2 daughters. Miss Laura Evelyn Barker (Pool) married Captain Kenneth Duncan of Otley (a captain of the 10th battery of the 4th (Howitzer Brigade, R.F.A. (cutting) 200 guests attended a reception at the bride’s home, a large marquee was erected on the lawn. Music supplied by the Band of the 4th West Riding (Howitzer Brigade,R.F.A.) H. Barker shown living there in 1910 (Electoral Roll).
Next owners were Sir Francis and Lady Watson, M.P. for Pudsey and Otley. In July 1931 local residents, 32 in all, including Watsons, from Cartref, and Caley Hall, and scattered from Leathley Lane to the top of Pool Bank, issued a complaint against Whiteleys for noise from a new larger Bertram beater which could be heard particularly at night. This led to a court hearing at Leeds Assizes, so the noise was reduced by inserting rubber pads to deaden the noise and agreeing to a regulation of windows not being open at night in the summer weather. The Watsons planted a row of trees to screen them from what they called the “directors cottages” which were the three new houses built in 1924 named, Elm Nook, Highfield and Ryddings House for the Whiteley families on Otley Road. (See David Whiteley Memoirs Information 1-2-18.) The Watsons moved to the Manor House, Bramhope in early 1937. John and Mary Denton worked here c 1920 and lived at High Mills. Their son, Arthur, died from WW1 shellshock wounds in 1929. The house was bought from the Watsons by Whiteleys in 1936 to be used as their offices and still used as offices today for Weidman Whiteley Ltd.
THE TOWER Tower Drive, off Arthington Lane, built c, 1870 possibly by W. Magson Nelson. Apparently it had its own water and gas supply. (Tower House occupied by James Gaunt Thompson, a cloth merchant in 1881 census). It was the home of Kate Johnstone and her husband John Dodds Johnstone, woollen manufacturer, in 1891 (census). Daughter Joyce, son Hugh (1901 census) J.D. Johnstone President of Arthington Show 1911-1914.Owners of nearby Swiss Villas, Kate Johnson, daughter of W. Magson Nelson of The Tower, was given Swiss Villa in 1906 for the sum of 10/-d. by Mary Nelson (Kate’s mother) on the death of her husband W. Magson Nelson for her “Natural love and affection”. (deeds). Kate Johnstone lived in The Tower until her death in 1929.
W.Magson Nelson owned the land on which The Woodlands were built.
Rear extension and front bay windows added in 1928. Harold and Carine de Baillou Monk and daughter Rosemary lived there until 1934 (grave in St. Wilfrids.) at that time the main rooms consisted of: drawing room, morning room, dining room, nursery several bedrooms, there was also a tennis court and pond in the garden. The house was used for women and children evacuees during W.W.2 after which it was converted into 3 flats. Rosemary Monk’s grandfather lived at Caley Hall until his death in 1934. See Houses post & Pre1850
John Cunliffe Johnstone, Private in Honourable Artillery Company lst Bn. Died 23.4.1917. Service No. 3610. Grave Bay l Cemetery: Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais, France. Stained glass window in his memory unveiled and dedicated on 11th Aug. 1918 at St. Wilfrid’s Church Pool, where he often read the Lesson and taught in Sunday School. Lived at The Tower, Arthington Lane.
Hugh Noel Johnstone, 2nd Ltnt. 2/8th. Btn.West Yorkshsire Regiment (Leeds Rifles- Prince of Wales Own) in 1915 invalided out through dementia in 1916, died 1.6.1921 age 25. Buried Gt. Salkeld, St. Cuthbert Churchyard. Youngest son of John D & Kate Johnstone, The Tower, Pool
A beautiful burr oak in the front of The Tower, was believed to be at least 300 years old but was demolished c. 2008 when it had been anticipated building of new houses would take place.
TROUTBECK/Troutbeck Hall (1876) Arthington Lane, (Census of 1871 describes it as being on Low Lane) was built by Col. Wm. Child, c.1870
The 1871 census records him as being a dental surgeon, by the 1881 he is recorded as being a retired dentist. He died 22.11.1889 aged 67. (daughter Mary died 1822 aged 26, buried at St. Wilfrids) He had lived in Bryn Afon (Bank House), Old Pool Bank. “Founder and for 27 ½ years Commanding Officer of the 2nd West York (Leeds) Engineer Volunteers” (grave) Mr. A. W. Chapman (1842-1926) living there in 1876. It was then bought by Tom Swallow (1845-1917) wool merchant and builder (there in 1896 W’dale). Mr. Swallow built a number of houses on Arthington Lane, Pool Bank and three on Avenue des Hirondelles (where it got its name – Hirondelle being French for swallow) (SHP) Also made an abortive attempt to improve Stocks Hill (see “Roads, Tracks & Bridges”.)He had intended to extend Avenue des Hirondelles to the main Leeds Road but the lack of water supply prevented this.
Mrs. Emily Annie Swallow was quite a mystery to the locals as she was always heavily veiled, no-one ever saw her face, and would go away to Harrogate for several weeks each summer. Holidays were taken abroad (she was French, her daughter Gertrude was born in Paris, France (census 1911) and came home with maids who could not speak English. In 1911 they were employing a cook and a housemaid from Sweden.! Mr. Swallow used to wear a top hat and drive their horse and carriage. (Roland Tankard) The stables were at the back of Troutbeck.
In the garden there is an avenue of sycamores leading to 13 stone steps which in turn lead to a now demolished, boat house and diving plank. Mrs. Swallow gave the land to the Parish Council on 22nd June 1920, for the building of the War Memorial opened by her in 1923. She and her daughter, Gertrude, also gave the organ in St. Wilfrid’s Church in memory of her husband Tom. In 1931 Mrs. Swallow was a vice president of the Arthington, Bramhope and Pool Horticultural Society (Arthington Show). Their daughter, Gertrude Harmer married solicitor Verrall. The house was later occupied by Mr. & Mrs. Swallow-Verrall.
On 11.5.1951 various portions of the old Swallow estate were bought by Holmes and William Whiteley including 5 cottages at Far Row with adjoining land, transferred to mill ownership,for £250 each, also 2 cottages at Sandy Lobby and an area of mainly old quarry land being shared between the Whiteley brothers (I.2.18c.P.71) Total price £2,030.. (see “Stocks Hill & War Memorial and Gardens”, also “Families”.)
Known owners: 1870 Col. Wm. Child.(died 1889) built Troutbeck. A. W. Chapman ( there in 1876; Tom Swallow (there in 1896, family to at least 1924); to c. 1951 Swallow-Verrall; Harry Moore, chemists, President of Pool Cricket Club in 1954; c.1972; Ian (surgeon) and Jill Frazer;
15th June 1876 York Herald.
Wanted, a good plain cook for a small family. Must understand dairy. Apply Mrs. Chapman, Troutbeck Hall, Pool near Otley.
Leeds Mercury 26th April 1877
Pool-in-Wharfedale – TROUTBECK HALL. To be Let or Sold, good freehold family residence, charmingly situated in its own grounds of about six acres within five minutes walk of the Railway Station; having a complete service of trains to Leeds, Bradford, Harrogate and the North. The house contains entrance hall, drawing-room, dining-room, breakfast-room, billiard-room, two kitchens, seven bedrooms and bath room; conservatory, stable, coach-house and numerous outbuildings; large gardens with rabbit warren and exclusive right of good trout fishing and near one of the best covers in the Bramham Moor Hunt. For further particulars and to view, apply to Mr. Chapman at the house, between 12 and 4 o’clock. Price 3,000 guineas; 2,000 may remain.
Wharfedale Observer Jan 17th 1896 “Last evening Mr. & Mrs. Swallow gave a tea and entertainment to the scholars and teachers connected with the Wesleyan Sunday School, Pool. A substantial tea was provided for the children in the school room which was prettily decorated for the occasion”. “Mr. and Mrs. Swallow opened the programme with a pianoforte duet.” This was followed by songs, etc. by members of the village together with music from the Wesleyan Band of Hope.
VILLA ALMSCLIFFE Arthington Lane.(set back) Built c. 1965 for Cunningham. Later occupant Britten
WHINMOOR, named Wharfedale View until 1936, Arthington Lane (next to Bar House) semi, with cellars. Built c.1905 on land sold by the Pulleins (Lords of the Manor of Pool in 1902 to William & Hilda Templeton of the Bar House who sold to George Kendall in 1905, late of Park Buildings, who died in 1906 (Sexton for 32 years). On his death the two properties were inherited by his wife Sarah, daughters Emma and Amy: Other occupants: 1920 E.F. Rhodes £490.: 1936 B.S.&W Whiteley £512.10s: c.1960 Mary & Ron Wylie:.
WOODCROFT the adjoining semi, with shared path with above, was purchased in 1936 by B.S.&W. Whiteley Ltd and Parker
Plan of two properties 1920
WHITECROFT (formerly Fairlea and The Croft) Arthington Lane. Built by Mr. Harker (SHP). Owned by Joseph Bateson in the 1920’s. During WW2 was still the home to the Leeds tannery owner whose Rolls Royce and chauffeur were involved in a collision with a tank near Pool Railways station during the black-out. Both were killed. “Joseph Bateson was the Principal of Joseph Bateson and Son Ltd, The Roan Tannery, Meanwood,.Leeds. One evening late in October 1941 he was being driven home by his chauffeur down Pool Bank when the vehicle collided with an Army vehicle turning into Station Road. A few days later my Uncle passed away and the whole event was published in the Wharfedale Mercury approx 31st October 1941.” (Jill Bateson)
WOODGARTH Pool Bank New Road. See Beconie
LATER and OTHER HOUSING ESTATES.
ACORN WAY/SWALLOW DRIVE some 180 homesbuilt by Redrow Homes, began in 2001 finished 2005 built on land previously owned by Milthorp/Nicholson estate until c.1960, the land was attached to Plainville/Park House (now demolished)
ARTHINGTON MEWS built c. 1980 by Bryant Homes, on land originally attached to The Stonehouse.
BEECHES, THE, built by Consort Homes on the site of Stephen Kaye’s Woodyard in 2001.
CHAPEL HILL ROAD (see Pool Hall Mews)
CHEVIN VIEW built by J. R. Musgrave of Elm Bank, Pool Bank New Road in 1905
CHURCH CLOSE built by Wharfedale Rural Council planned in 1956 “What is hoped will be one of the most attractive housing estates in the district is planned by Wharfedale Rural Council on a seven acre site off Church Lane, Pool. The scheme is for 70 houses and 8 two bedroomed bungalows. It is expected to cost into the region of £100,000. It was originally laid down, by the higher authority, that pre-fabricated houses must be erected and great efforts were made to get this ruling altered. Eventually permission was given to build “traditional” houses.” W.O. 1955. Built on land previously owned by Pool House
CHURCH GARTH built in 1986 on land previously owned by Pool House.
CHURCHILL FLATS 1963 Proposalto build 24 flatletsbuilt by Council. In 1965.20 units were in course of construction. Cost £38748
HOLLIES, THE , Pool Bank New Road. built by Consort Homes after demolition by them of the old Georgian house, Plainville/Park House/Monkmans 2002
MANOR CRESCENT, in 1934 a contract was placed by W. L., Holmes and William Whiteley with Messrs. O’brien and Richmond of Otley for the building of 16 houses in four blocks in what became Manor Crescent and a private company, Pool-in-Wharfedale Estates Ltd. was set up to manage them. The total cost was£7,993.13.9d. plus £10 per house for the architect John C. Proctor of Leeds.
(Further details of occupants in 1934 in I.2.18b. David Whiteley Memoirs.)
MANOR GARDENS were built on land called Chapel Hill earlier named Cowpasture. The owners have to legally sign that they will not keep hens, have factory containing power machinery and no advertising hoarding or noisy noxious or offensive trade. Possibly on land originally owned by the church when a chapel of ease..
MILLCROFT built by Wharfedale Rural Council in 1948, completed in 1949. Garages: 6 built 1957 at a cost of £1212, plus 6 later.
OAKDALE built in the 1920/30’s. named after the old oak tree which stood in the centre of the old track. The tree was demolished in 2011, the rings recorded it as being there for 312 years. This track originally ran straight down from Staircase Lane, to the River Wharfe.
OLD ORCHARD built c.1990 built on the orchard of the Manor House.
PARKLANDS built by Thos. Feather c1964 on land previously owned by Park House/Plainville. Building lasted c.10yrs.
POOL HALL MEWS initially built by Wilson Connoly Homes in 2002/3 finished by Bryant Homes, on land previously owned by Hall Farm, postal address Chapel Hill Road. These houses were built on land which has a covenant restricting any building on three “agricultural” fields. (Wakefield Archives).
WHITEHOLME (was to have been called St. Wilfrid’s Fold) Arthington Lane. Built by Bryant Homes in 2001.
SWEDISH HOUSES on Millcroft built in 1946 by PPC. Cost £7674. Similar cottages are built in Norfolk.
WHARFE CRESCENT Oct 1929 12 houses built, but July 1930 it was decided by Wharfedale Rural Council, to built a further ten houses (PPC minute book) Cost £700 each let at 7/9d plus rates.
WILLOW COURT built on site of old Pool-in-Wharfedale railway station in 1971. Other names considered; Woodlands Estate; and Banksfoot Close; finally agreed to Willow Court by March 1970.
It is said that housing in Pool increased by 39% during the last few years to 2002.
Sundries The semis and farmholdings were built on Castley Lane by Ward & Crossley, Carcroft, Nr. Doncaster on behalf of the Government to aid solders to obtain a living when returning from WW1.
In 2013 plans were submitted by Leeds City Council to erect approx 541 new homes to the west of the village, thus increasing the size of the village by 50%. The proposed building land has a high pressure North Sea Gas pipe running through it. Part of the land is covered by an ancient Covenant issued by Pool Hall, also two houses would require demolition but are in the Pool-in-Wharfedale Conservation Area issued by L.C.C. in 2009.
Listed Buildings (Complete details in Pool Archives. Document Box D9/9/D- Listed Buildings.)
St. Wilfrids Church . LBS No. 471169. Listing NGR: SE2441545202
Pool Hall including Pool Hall Cottage (at n. end) and The Old Barn (in the s.range) 1/167 (22.11.1966) “Irregular T-shaped plan of which the earliest part appears to be the stem of the T2”)
The Manor House, 1/164
Milespost (outside Weidmann/Whiteley gates, Otley Road) 1/166 Later 19th century
Acorn Cottages Nos. 4 & 5. Ref. 1/162
Pool Bridge. 1/163
Bar House, Old Pool Bank.. LBS No. 438299 Listing NGR: SE2375744348
Pool Farm Cottage 1/168
NB Although not all buildings mentioned above have been listed by English Heritage, they all have the same standing. (Leeds City Council)