HOUSES – Pre 1850
BANK HOUSE/ OLD BANK /BRYN AFON on Old Pool Bank, (road) known as Bryn Afon in 1847 and now Bank House. A map of 1756 shows there to be two houses here, one a little behind the other named High Croft and Low Croft and owned by the then Lord of the Manor of Pool, Thomas Thornhill,. The Award map of 1774 now shows three properties on the land, the new added property being alongside the western edge of the land and possibly the same as can be seen today. The present house was enlarged at the front, the enlargement is already shown on a map of 1894. According to a Short History of Pool-in-Wharfedale, written in 1929, the house was occupied before 1849 by Robert Edmondson (1790-1848 grave 119) ; Capt. Child who built several houses in the village, including Troutbeck, died in 1889; Mr. Richardson from 1894 and A. Whitehead (1839-1910.grave 69) and in 1929 by Mr. Lightowler, a manufacturer of embossed tin boxes used by biscuit and chocolate companies, also Will’s cigarettes. The architectural historian, Peter Thornborrow dated the older northern part of the house at c.1740.
Sagar Jackson of Jacksons Arcade, Otley, born in 1883 lived at Bryn Afon and went to Pool School, leaving to be a despatch boy, at the age of 11. Several other members of the family lived in Pool; Gaunt Hudson (wife was Miss Jackson) who lived at Furze Hill, Pool, Bank New Road. A brother, J.L. Jackson at Plainville, rented, (known also as Park House, now The Hollis estate built on the land) and a sister on Arthington Lane. J.C. Jackson lived in Pool Hall c.1928 to 1931.
In 1894 Bryn-Afon was owned by Alfred W Whitehead. He also owned White House Farm (electoral roll 1910) together with the Pool Waterworks which he bought in 1903 from Michael Nicholson’s estate. The income from the water works at the time was £19.l.6d. He extended the water supply to the village. He was also a Governor and an important benefactor to Pool School, making several gifts. “1901.Have a good light from a new lamp given by Mr. Alfred Whitehead to the school” At his death in 1910, the school gave the children half a days’ holiday to attend his funeral. Alfred Whitehead Born 29.5.1839. Married 26.1.1864. Died 19.7.1910. Two stained glass windows are in St. Wilfrid’s Church in memory of Alfred Whitehead which were erected in 1910.
In Dec. 1922 the house and water works passed to his daughters, the Misses Amy and Gertrude Whitehead, having by now moved to the White House. Lovely story about Miss Amy in “Memories” by Roland Tankard in Pool Water Works, Local children would giggle when they mentioned Miss Whitehead’s water was not too good today!
The house was sold in 1920 by Arthur Whitehead, son, for £2,764.17.9d.
Amy Elderhorst Whitehead b.. 16.11.1864 d. 11.10.1946
Gertrude Elizabeth “ b. 15.5.1866 d. 10.1.1925
Arthur Langley “ b. 1.12.1868 d. 5.10.1930
John Langley “ b. 20.7.1884 d. 22.11.1894
Details of house inventory made in 1910 includes an item, “About 3 gallons of whisky”.
Extension to rear of house made in 2008 by owner Dr. Ausobsky
(see also A Village Water Supply)
BAR HOUSE Arthington Lane. Built c.1725 or earlier. Shown on the map of 1756 as “Sparrow Close” on land owned by the Lord of the Manor of the time, Thomas Thornhill. In 1669 a John Sparrow was the only remaining Roman Catholic in the village refusing to join the Church of England. The property was sold in 1902 by the Lord of the Manor of the time, The Pulleins to Mr. S. Hextall Lot 1, for £205 with land stretching to the Corn Mill Pond. Deeds of the Pulleins state Lot 1 with the name of “Sparrow Croft” had tenants by the name of Clapham and Lupton paying an annual rent of £6 and £5.12.0d. respectively.
The Turnpike Act of 1662, for the making and repair of roads, was not popular. During the 18c there came a need to hasten traffic from Otley to the Great North Road at Tadcaster. Local landowners and gentry including the Lascelles, Thomas Arthington and members of the Fawkes family became turnpike trustees. They obtained an Act of Parliament which enabled them to repair the road, erect toll-bars and levy tolls to maintain the roads(Otley Museum.TP/dc/3 1750-1890) The act described the existing road as, “ruinous and bad.. that the winter season it is impossible for wagons or other wheeled carriages to pass along the same and very dangerous for travellers” So a rough plan was made dated 12th Feb 1753 and work began. But ordinary people were opposed to the turnpike and on 23rd June 1753 an angry mob of 200 pulled down the toll-bar at Pool, just 19 days after it had been built. The mob marched along the road to attack Harewood bridge turnpike, but were met by the mounted trustees of the turnpikes and were turned away. (See Turnpike & Toll Bars)
Toll collection ceased in 1874. The last keepers were Wm. and Arabella Steele (SHP)The Bar House became a general grocers shop ,occupied by Mrs Lupton(certainly there c. 1900). The toll collector at Arthington c.1870 was James Lupton (Whites Directory). Prior to the sale of 1902, it was the home of Mr. Lupton (the west side) and Claphams (the east), the Clapham’s home, soon to become Mrs. Temple’s haberdashery shop, also sold a few groceries and cigarettes. In 1902 when the property was sold to Mr S. Hextall who was a debt collector working for a firm of solicitors, he bought both houses and land stretching to the river, for £205 (See above), the Fish & Chip shop painting. family living in the east house. Later Miss Audrey Hextall inherited both cottages which she owned till her death, then both houses were sold and converted into one house in 1999. The fish and chip shop, see painting left, (now a house under construction, 2002) was built by Mrs Hextall in the garden to be run by her daughter, Audrey and herself. The house to the east remained the home of the Hextall family whilst Mrs. Mitchel, the shop to the west, later kept the general grocery and sweet shop, becoming a pie shop prior to the conversion.
During the conversion in 1999 an old Yorkshire Range was uncovered in the house to the west, bearing the name “W. E. Turner, Otley”. These were manufactured at Church Gates, Otley, a foundry which was where Jackson’s Kirkgate Arcade, Otley now is. The Yorkshire Range has been left in place. Another large stone fireplace with an Aga, was in the house to the east. Pool Parish Council reported that the Bar House still had an earth closet in 1946. A similar Yorkshire Range with the name “W.E.Turner, Otley and Harrogate” is still in a cottage on Church View.
BRAYTON COTTAGE. has also been known as Nunroyd Barn. Michael Nicholson (Low Mill) died in 1858. After his death he left Brayton Cottage to his neice Emma Snowdon, a member of the Milthorp Snowdons of Plainville/Park House/Pool Court/Monkmans. Originally two cottages, one named Chestnut Cottage c. 1910 when occupied by Alison and Matthew Clapham, who worked at White House Farm. The other, Plainville Cottage, was occupied by Perkins in 1940. Originally service cottages for both White House Farm, which dates from c.1740, and no doubt for Plainville as along with White House Farm, (then known as Pool Farm), they were owned by executors of Michael Nicholson in 1879, who had lived at Plainville c.1840. (see White House) also Pool Hall which he sold (Plainville/Park House was demolished and the Hollies built in 2002) The two cottages were combined into one house c.1961. Owners have been: Michael Nicholson, 1858 Emma Michell Snowdon (related to Michael Nicholson through marriage of his sister, Elizabeth to John Milthorp) to 1937, then M.W. and M.I. Hill to 1944.(also owned White House Farm/Pool Farm, see also see A Village water Supply) 1944 Arthur Sutcliffe; 1953 David Ackroyd; 1961 E.H. Prentice & O. O. Robinson; 1970, Mr. & Mrs. A. Maben; 1977 Mrs. J. E. Watson; 2003 Anthony & Lynn Wilkinson. Option Agreement made between Mrs Watson and Beazer Homes on19th Oct 2000 for purchase of Brayton Cottage at twice (200%) the Current Use Value of the Property at the time of needing the property, the agreement to last for a period of 10 years, agreement taken up by Wilkinsons (owners in 2004) at purchase from Watson. (deeds). Two other houses, the bungalow at the entrance to Pool Hall and another, also took up the option but with the bungalow (Misty Morn) agreeing to the purchase in 2000. . In 2014 Wimpey Homes offered £10,000 to Wilkinson’s to allow them to demolish the wall and front yard to allow line of sight for proposed the housing estate. Norris and Homes were also visited.
BROOK COTTAGE originally known as Paste Board House, Mill Lane. “A good trade of pasteboard making was carried on in “Paste House” by Thos. Lockton” lived1779-1858. The following advert appeared in the Leeds Mercury on 14th June 1823 when an auction of Pool House was taking place by owner John Milthorp. “A PASTEBOARD MANUFACTORY situate in Pool aforesaid in the occupation of Thos. Lockton with a Close of Land occupied therewith called the Mill Garth and containing in Statue Measure 1A. 1R.36P or thereabouts,” This was part of a large number of properties and land owned by John Milthorp including a “Mansion House” (Pool House) which appears to have been bought by the Stott family, as Mrs. Nowell Stott died there on the 8th April 1839
The continued ownership of Brook Cottage by Pool House is shown in the will of Miss Susannah Greene Stott of Pool House made in 1880, shows Brook Cottage (Mill Lane) with garden of about half an acre in the occupation of George Portway, let in 1921 at an annual rent of £32. 4. 0d. to the Stanhopes of Pool House “An 18c house of some importance” – high wall signifies (P.T.) extended at some time to the north. Property Tax shows in 1922 the house was owned by Herbert Stanhope (Pool House). The stream which ran from Pool Bank through Hall Farm and under the main road, was re-routed when building Millcroft and had passed in front of Brook Cottage. Thomas Edmunson Walker was there sometime between 1814 and 1874. George A. Stead a cloth merchant was living there in 1881 census. The house was a small factory where paper was pasted together to make a kind of cardboard used for rolls of cloth, no doubt supplying Pool High Mill/Walk Mill. Herbert Pepper, carting agent to Otley & Ilkley for the Joint Railway Co. lived here in 1891 (census).
Bertram Jowett Pepper. Lived at Brook Cottage, Mill Lane. Corporal in the Royal Field Artillery. Unit Text: “D”Bty. 321th Bde. Died 26.5.1917. Service No. 786074. Son of Clarice Helena Pepper and the late Herbert Pepper. Born Pool. Grave Ref. III. B.29. Cemetery: H.A.C. Cemetery, Ecoust-St.Mein, Pas de Calais, France.
In 1929 it was also the village Post Office run by Mrs. Joe Whiteley who was Pool Parish Councillor for over 23 years. She would keep her customers waiting for perhaps 20 minutes whilst she finished her gardening
Thomas Hollis is recorded in the 1841 census as being a pasteboard maker
(Much of this information was taken from the deeds of Susannah Green Stott. Pool House)
1900 c. 1932 1950 Hall & Gardens
CALEY HALL (demolished 1964)– A Tudor residence. (Map of 1720 spelled Kayley) Probably the only survivor of an ancient hamlet of that name which gave its name to an old family in the reign of Edward III, one John de Caylli de Poule Around 1500 it was built as a hunting lodge by the Gascoignes (H.Speight) of Gawthorpe Hall, Harewood. Renovations of the farm took place in the1980’s when it was stated that one of the walls was dated 1430.
It was occupied in 1550 by Marmaduke Gascoigne (S.H.P.) Indications of the hunting lodge are “Lodge Lane”
(map of 1756 ) now alongside Church Lane, also “Dog Kennel Close” near Caley Hall (tythe map); and reference to late 12c. fish breeding ponds (West Yorks. Arch. Society to AD1500). See “Medieval North Yorkshire”, Robin A. Butlin)
“In or about 1500, it belonged to the Gascoignes, as the old oak pew in Otley church testifies, having the arms of that family with two initials and 1582 beautifully cut in the door. William Gascoigne married Joan, daughter of Thomas Thwaits Esq. He died in 1560. His son William married Dorothy, daughter of Thomas Stillington; Esq. He died in 1578. It next came to the Daltons, as is proved by a monumental stone in the west choir of Otley church; “John, the son of John Dalton, Esq. of Caley-Hall, 1631, he being young”. After them it belonged to the Atkinsons, who came from Westmoreland to Leeds, about 1580. In 1712, John was mayor of Leeds and justice of the peace for the West Riding. The last of the Atkinsons, who died at Caley-Hall married a Miss Fawkes of Farnley, whose son put up his monument in Pool chapel (Chapel of Ease, now St. Wilfrids) . He sold the estate to Mr. Fawkes, his relation and died without issue. The late occupier was John Raistrick, Esq. who about 1790, beautified the place by repairing the windows and roof, building an additional room and ornamenting the gardens, yet keeping up the original form, and in every other respect making it a delightful residence. The park was made in 1820, by the present Mr. Fawkes’s father.
” The History of Wharfedale by Thomas Shaw 1830
The Gascoignes incurred many losses during the Civil War and according to writings had to sell Caley Hall along with much of their land and properties – Shaw, Wharfedale 1830) Other occupants after the Gascoignes, were the Daltons, there in 1631, then the Atkinsons. In 1712 John Atkinson was Mayor of Leeds and Justice of the Peace for West Yorkshire. Henry Atkinson of Farnley lived there in 1725 and married Frances Fawkes on 12.11.1722, she died two years later on 25.6.1724, after her son also Henry was born on 14.5.1724. (a plaque to their memory in St. Wilfrids, dated 1743). Henry Atkinson (Harry to his family) was often in debt, constantly requesting help from “Uncle Fawkes” To relieve financial difficulties in 1750 land was leased by him to Michael Lamb of Arthington Nunnery. Frances Fawkes was daughter of Francis Fawkes of Farnley, thus it became part of the Farnley Hall Estate remaining until 1927.(see sale of house in Archives) Other information re. the same Atkinson family: Mrs. Alice Atkinson of Pool was buried on 7.3.1690/1: William Atkinson of Pool buried 16.3.1693/4; Sarah Atkinson buried 22.7.1698. (Stanhope family – Otley Library)
Other families living in the Hall in the 17th century (some may have been farmers) were; Rogers, Coats, Dunwell and Hill; Josiah Newsom in 1707, Wm. Fairburn 1720, and Thomas Clough, yeoman 1742. Rev. M. Wilson (Thos. Jeffrey’s map of 1767 shows “Mr Wilson” living at “Kayley Hall”) Occupied by Dr. John Raistrick in 1790, ex navy and noted shorthorn breeder who made alterations to the hall and estate (sale of property). Other occupants have been John Blarids (?) Magistrate & Deputy Lieutenant for West Riding of Yorkshire (1851 census): J. D. Holdforth, a Leeds silk manufacturer, was there in 1859 (“The History and Antiquities of Harewood” subscribers list) killed in riding accident in 1864.: Gerard. G. Count de la Pasture, a “capitalist”, who was French but an English subject, together with his wife Georgina, born in India, his daughter Monica born in New Zealand, and son Charles Edward, born in Pool. The Count’s brother Henry Philip is registered in the 1881 census as being born in France, but a British subject and a “capitalist; “E R Deldafield’s family (as in Diary of a Provincial Lady) lived there some time. They were called de la Pasture then.” W. G. Wigram; G. Wood Esq. M.A. Oxon, of the Inner Temple, J.P, died in 1879 age 54. (H.S); Major Mitchell; Henry Dacre (there in 1910), solicitor (22 rooms) employing cook, caretaker, coachman & gardener. census; Mr. Green; from mid 1920’s George C. Waud and wife Ethel Sarah. (c. 1930). George Waud accidently shot and was killed in 1932.
After the death of George Camille Waud in 1932, the sale in 1934 by G.C. Waud states “Priests’ Hiding Hole a relic of the Civil Wars, occupying a space concealed in the thickness of the walls with a tiny window for air and light”. Stated then to have Inner Hall, Library, Drawing room, Morning room, and Dining Room. Five bedrooms and a servants’ wing with 5 bedrooms. There was also a lovely terraced garden, walled fruit and vegetable garden, heated glasshouses with peach house, vinery, etc.
Finally purchased by William Whitleley in 1939 which he sold to B.S.&W.Whiteley Ltd for £12,000 then leased back to him 7 days later for £480 per annum with option to buy within 14 years at same price. This he did and in 1960 purchased it and resold to the company at an enlarged figure. (I.2.18c) “William Whitleley sold Caley to the company on 22.2.1945 for £12,000 and on 1.3.1945 was granted a lease for 14 years at a rent of £480 per annum with an option to repurchase at the end of the lease at the same price. These transactions were carried out in anticipation of the conversion of the company and William exercised his option to repurchase in 1960. He subsequently resold to the company at an enlarged figure which did not meet with the approval of Holmes. ”( David Whiteley Memoirs.)
Following a discussion by the Board of B S. & W Whiteley Ltd in January 1963 demolition took place in 1964. This was against the edict of the Ministry of Housing who in 1952 had included Caley Hall in a list of all the old houses in the area which were not to be altered or demolished. (Caley Hall by Frederick Morrell).
“ William Whiteley used some of the old oak panelling and other fittings for the new house which he built at Riffa.” (David Whiteley Memoirs)
Historical Notes” taken from sale of house in 1934 possible author, Jas.Wardell c. 1869
On its demolition in 1964 the oak panelling and some garden furniture went to William Whiteley’s new home Riffa Manor, Harrogate Road, whilst the main entrance and door are now placed alongside the Old Grammar School, Manor Square, Otley. During WW2, whilst occupied by William Whiteley and his family, part of Caley Hall was requisitioned for offices for Reckitt and Coleman Ltd. who had evacuated from Hull.
In 1820 the crags and land to the south were again made into a deer park by Dr. John Raistrick, stocked with Red and Fallow Deer, Goats and Wild swine. Zebra horses and Axis or wild jungle stag of India were added by Mr. Fawkes. When the Otley/Leeds Road was built in 1841 the estate was split in two and the animals were destroyed. (H.Speight). The crags above Caley Hall, were not allowed to be defaced in any way as it would spoil the view of the Fawkes family. In 1852 Fawkes issued a circular to 250 residents of Otley asking them to object to the railway project as it would do “me and my property great injury and entirely defeat the object which I have had in view in spending so much upon the improvement and ornament of Caley Hall…”
When they finally agreed to the railway line crossing their land in the 1860’s, it was only on the understanding that the line could not be seen from Caley Hall. The line subsequently goes below the level of the fields and the railway bridge on the road up to the Hall has unusually high sides to hide the trains so as not to upset their horses when crossing over the bridge. When Pool Quarries were operating c. 1850 they were not allowed to be seen by the Hall.
The dining room was designed by Miss Charlotte Fawkes c. 1850 and was lined with oak panels depicting scenes of hunting and shooting with portraits of people then living in the neighbourhood. These were drawn by George Walker of Killingbeck, author of Costumes of Yorkshire and painted by a carriage painter from Leeds. The whole of the panelling was then transferred to Farnley Hall before 1900. (H. S.)
In the sale of property dated 1927 by Major F. H. Fawkes it states that two interesting old pictures were included in the sale which had been in the Hall for many years, one named “The Boars Head” the other a landscape. “A small store room with an interesting recessed cupboard or Priests’ hiding place with a “squint” through the massive stonework”. Then stated to have Lounge/inner hall/billiard room, Smoke Room, Dining Room, Drawing Room, and Morning Room, six bedrooms, 4 servants bedrooms.. The domestic offices included a Butlers pantry, “a comfortable hall for servants”, Gun Room, wine and other cellars and a Game Larder. Beautiful gardens, with ponds, roses, herbaceous beds extensive lawns, kitchen garden, 4 heated greenhouses. Caley Hall and land was sold in 1927 for £10,000. (Marion Sharples “The Fawkes Family and their Estates in W’dale 1819-1936.”)
Alpaca and Highland cattle can still be seen on the land. Caley New Hall now replaces the old Caley Hall. Caley Farm is now known as Caley Hall. A small wooden hammer was made from the staircase of the demolished Hall, and given to Pool Archives
Owners of Caley Hall Farm since the Hall was demolished have been John Ogden, Frank Dee from c.1985 who sold in to c.1995 Bryn Tennant
- The marriage of William Gascoigne took place with the Heiress of Gawthorpe about the reign of Stephen in 1135. Sir William Gascoigne was born at Gawthorpe Hall in 1350 and died in 1419. He was a judge and regarded as an example of an upright man. He refused to sign the death warrant of Archbishop Scrope in 1405. (Several mediaeval monuments are found in All Saints’ Church, Harewood ) “Gawthorpe Hall was situated about 350 yards south of the present Harewood House, at the bottom of the hill, near to the margin of the lake. It was pulled down in 1773 immediately after the building of Harewood House.
- William Gascoigne, (c 1570) the last male descendant of the House of Gawthorp, had only one daughter, Margaret, his heiress, who in 1567 married Thomas Wentworth of Wentworth Woodhouse, near Rotherham, whose son William, father of Thomas, Earl of Stafford, came into possession of the manors of Gawthorpe, Harewood, Wike, East Keswick, Hetheric (now Stank), Weardley, Weeton, Wescoe Hill, Stubhouse, Lofthouse, Thorp Arch, Collingham etc. and various others in Lincolnshire” (The History and Antiquites of Harewood by John Jones 1859). The Manor of Creskeld and Pool was sold to Michael Wentworth of Wentworth Woodhouse in 1589.
Spelling; Gaupthorpe in 1615, when occupied by Michael Wentworth of Wentworth Woodhouse
Turners painting of Harewood House
Turners Caley Hall
Caley Farm Cottages 2002. 1973 Caley Lodge
CALEY HALL FARM COMPLEX was originally all part of Caley Hall estate. It was sold by Whiteley’s in 1973 and consisted of Caley Farm, Caley Farm Cottage, The Garden House, Crag Cottage, East View Cottage and Caley Lodge and site of the demolished Caley Hall. In 1932, when owned by G. C. Waud the Lodge was rented on a weekly tenancy at 12/6d per week inclusive. (see Caley Hall above). Richard Maltby & wife Sarah, were gardener and domestic servant at Caley Lodge in 1871. Caley Hall Farm estate was sold by Ogdens in 1983 to Frank Dee who especially renovated all the farm walls. He rented his land to a Pateley Bridge farmer for his sheep c. 1990 for £7,800. Farm and land sold in 1996 by Frank Dee to Bryn Tennant, who registered it as Caley Hall Farm Ltd. (2005) – he added many trees and stocked alpaca & Highland cattle.
CALEY HALL FARM 1985
After renovation of Caley Farm in 1983 it was stated by Ogdens that the west wall of the farm was dated at 1430.
Census of 1851 shows 200 acres being farmed by John Anderson with 4 men working for him. Micah Lamb and his wife Mary A. farmed Caley Farm in 1871. (1871 & 1891 Census).
Leeds Mercury 13th May 1882 Wharfedale Agricultural Show Mr. Micah Lamb, Caley Farm, Pool, won the plate for the best ram.
A sale of property in 1927 states “Caley Farm a “Well-placed Dairy Holding” with modern 5 bedroomed farmhouse”. Amongst the outbuildings were: Refrigerator House,, Meal House and Barn, various mistals, Manure Pump, stables and granary. The rent paid by Messrs. E. & C. Harrison in 1927 was £112 per annum.
Caley New Hall 2010
CALEY NEW HALL This was built in the 1960’s soon after the original Caley Hall was demolished in 1964.
Map showing land and 2 cottages, c 1900
CHAPEL GARTH, Main Street was to the front of St. Wilfrid’s Church (area now known as Memorial Gardens) consisted of two cottages, now demolished. Because of their name presumably they were built before the time of the church when it was a Chapel of Ease. The map of 1756 shows there to be three cottages at that time. One of which may have been a toll bar house as the map of 1756 shows a township gate at this point being the entrance to Lodge Lane, possibly leading to Caley Hall, a hunting lodge to the Gascoignes c. 1500. (see also War Memorial )
FARFIELD HOUSE Arthington Lane built c. 1849 by Mary Greaves for her son George. (SHP) (a relative of Rhodes who lived at Creskeld Hall in 1825.) In Sept.1888 Mary Greaves, along with her sister and brother inherited money and goods on the death of her father Charles Greaves Census of 1871 shows Mary Greaves and son George & in 1891 landowner of 10 acres and in 1896 George Greaves and wife Fanny. In Feb. 1960 it was sold for £2,500. Large extension to the west of the house was added in 2010.
FIR TREE COTTAGES. The two houses demolished c.1960. (on Map 1847) near bridge. SHP says that before they were built, there was a cottage which was a bar house bought by Wm. Greaves, pulled down by his son Edward who built the two houses. There may well have been a bar house here, as according to the 1756 map it was here that a “township” gate lead into the village. Occupied 1871 by Edward Greaves, born in Pool and his wife Sarah, born in Otley. Jim Dennison lived in the house to the west. He came from Burton Leonard where he worked in the paper trade (according to grandson also Jim) to work as a beaterman at Whiteleys paper mill. He would also cut hair in the corner of the beater house. “As a little boy I never knew what the inside of a barber’s shop was like as my hair was always cut in a corner of the beater house by Mr. Jim Dennison” (Memoirs of David Holmes Whiteley 1917-2004) In 1907 his son Walter, was born there and in 1929 his grandson Jim (1929-2002) Jim snr. became one of the first of four occupants of the Jane Whiteley Homes, built by William L. Whiteley in memory of his wife Jane, which opened in 1934. A small garage with single hand operated petrol pump stood behind the cottages. Many WW2 vehicles used this pump to fill up after being offloaded from Pool-in-Wharfedale railway station en-route to the military camps of Riffa and Farnley.
Around 1960 the houses were demolished. After the refusal of a request from the White Swan Inn in Otley to build an hotel, a new petrol station opened, known as Toothies Garage”, now a Shell petrol station. It is understood to have been the first self service station and that, after winning money on the Irish Sweepstake, was built by John Tooth.
The house to the east was home to Ted Hunter, “Dirty Gerty” and “Black Jack” Edwards where their daughter was killed by a passing car. Edwin and Anne Coxon lived here. John Edwin Coxon was killed in World War 1. This house was also c.1950 used by a visiting doctor and used as his surgery. Later became a shop, tea room run by “Dicky Dripping” who also rendered down pig fat to sell to fish and chip shops. (granddaughter)
John Edwin Coxon, Fir Tree Cottages. Private In Northumberland Fusilliers 20th (Tynside Scottish). Died 9.4.1917 aged 31. Service No. 38637. Son of Edwin and the late Anne Coxon of Pool. Grave ref 1.B.12 Cemetery Bailleul Road East Cemetery, St. Laurent-Blangy, Pas de Calais, France..
HARDY’S LAIR (name from SHP). situated immediately north of old railway line and was on the original Staircase Lane, and Bramhope Lane. Ribbon Lane on1756 map ran off this lane leading to the village. House and barn shown on map of 1756. The 1847 map shown as a pair of cottages each with what appears to be outside loos, all now demolished. Remains of barn were there before building of Redrow estate in 2001.
HUNTSMANS LODGE Grade 11 listed as part of the Manor House, see Manor Houses below.
c. 2012 IVY COTTAGE
A farm cottage attached to Stanhope cottages. Owned by the Pulleins. In 1901 farmed by John Pullein (Lord of the Manor of Pool). In 1881 occupied by J. Robert Long a commercial clerk. Census of 1871 shows William Yewdall owning the farm, but not present, a Pool cloth manufacturer employing 31 hands. From 1870-1873 the partnership of John Clayton and William Yewdall at Pool High/Walk Mill; Thomas (died 1913) and “Granny” Pullein.
In the Manor House Estate sale of 1902 the farmhouse, with three cottages attached, outbuildings and 35 acres of grassland was sold to Mr. Weatherill for £2,200. Inhabitants 1849 Wm. Scott, his daughter Fanny known in the village as “Granny Pullein” died 1924 aged 90; Mr. & Mrs. Molyneux, son J. R. Long; Mr. Pepper, Edgar Roscoe; Mr. Whiteley, H. L. Steele, L. M. Smithson (SHP). See “Families” A Pullein”)
2005 rear c. 1940 front
MANOR HOUSE. Grade II listed building. There has been a Manor House in Pool from at least 1569. In 1569 Manor House of Pool was rented out by Richard Goldesbrough of Goldesbrough, Yorks to Roger Morrys of High Holborne for 21 years at 63/- per year. (Huntington Archives) 1570/1 “Lease of Pool Manor house and all apportionments is assigned from Roger Morrys of City of York, surgeon & Eleanor his wife” In1676 Everild Thornhill is listed as “Lady of the Manor of Poole and Kirskell”.( Huntingdon Archives copies in Pool Archives)) The Manor House is on a map of 1756, drawn up for the then Lord of the Manor Thos. Thornhill, living at Creskeld Hall.
Painting of Newall Old Hall, Otley
In 1563 William Goldsborough died leaving a young daughter Anne. Her uncle Richard Goldsborough then quietly claimed almost the whole of the family property. When Anne married Edmund Kighley of Newhall, Otley, a litigatation followed. Anne claimed her rights to the manors of “Goldsburgh, Kryskelde and Powle, etc.” (Goldsborough, Creskeld and Pool). The dispute was bitter and protracted between her and her uncle, Richard.
Eventually in 1586 the property at Goldsborough was judged to be owned by Anne and Edmund Kighley.
In 1602 Edmund Kighley, appears to have left Newhall, Otley to live in Pool where he died in 1602. (H.Speight)
Prior to 1819 James Dinwiddie was first at Pool Hall, later at the Manor House. His death was recorded in Leeds Mercury on 25th May 1836 aged 85 and “was formerly an eminent cotton spinner in Manchester”. James Dinwiddie is mentioned in the Land Tax returns in 1784 to 1802 when he was a proprietor (of property?Walk Mill and Michael Nicholson being the occupier, paying £l.7.6d.(for what) in 1821. (see Houses pre 1850 Dinwiddie family)
The 1841 census shows Dr. Joseph Curry (wife Sarah, son Matthew) was running a boys’ school here (possibly a church school) with 17 pupils, Joseph Oldfield, was a medical student who was his assistant. Joseph Curry compiled a time-line of the bible events, the book called “Curry’s Chronological and Geographical Family Guide Holy Scriptures”, written in Dewsbury in 1846. A plaque is on the wall of St. Wilfrid’s church commemorating the death of his and his wife Sarah’s baby daughter Maryann Whitworth Curry who died in 1840 aged only 13 weeks.
Occupants: Thomas Newsam died 30.5.1862 aged 61 – Thomas Newsam, land agent and surveyor living there, youngest daughter Sarah Jane married Matthias Shann (Pool mill) in 1869; 1872-1892 G.H.L. Rickards; In 1892 the Manor House is advertised to let by “Mr. Pullein” in the Leeds Mercury.
A metal disc shows “G.S. Whitaker Manor House Pool-in-Wharfedale KSXM-97-3”; According to Kayes account ledger Mr. Dixon was there in 1901. Holzmann in 1919 (gift of land by Swallow to build War Memorial) Francis Darwin lived there in 1902. War Mem.details) The house came up for sale in 1902 when owned by the Pullein family (Lords of the Manor of Pool) but was withdrawn at £1,275; A John Bramley Yeadon moved from the Nunnery, Arthington into Pool Hall in 1902. (For Yeadon family, see below) 1911 census Mr. Robinson; Col. Sir Frank Brook 1945-approx 1960. Now four flats. (2000)
A cutting shows George Henry Lascelles Rickards, (6.3.1819-1892) Her Majesty’s Sub Inspector of Factories for the West Riding was in1858 appointed Factory Inspector for Leeds district. Formerly a medical practitioner for 18 years in Armley he lived in the Manor House from 1872 till his death. On 18.12.1890 a presentation was made on his retirement one of the gifts was an album inscribed “Presented to G.H.L. Rickards, Esq, as a mark of the esteem in which he is held by the employers of labour in Leeds and district, on his retirement from the position of H.M . Inspector of Factories”. The cutting also states “Mr. Rickards death will be greatly regretted by all who knew him, but by none more than by the villagers amongst whom he resided during the past twenty years.” He had an egg of the great auk. His son Charles.A. was a silk spinner employing 30 men, 30 women, 30 boys and 35 girls (census 1881.)
Wharfedale Observer March 19th 1886. “Theft of Coal. Benjamin Greaves, mason of Pool, an aged man, was brought up in custardy charged with stealing coal, value 3d. (1 1/2p.), the property of Mr. Rickards, H. M. Inspector of Factories, of Pool.” The charge was that he stole the coal from an outhouse. He stated he did not have any coal at home but on inspection he had at least one hundredweight. “Mr. Rickard did not wish to press the case against the person who was an old man but hoped it would be a warning to him.” “The Bench ordered Greaves to be imprisoned until the rising of the Court.” He was also a Governor of Pool School often paying it visits.
Colonel Sir Frank Brook, D.S.O., M.C., D.L. and H.M. Inspector of Constabulary, and his wife Lady Brook. moved there in 1945. “Sir Frank and Lady Brook were loved and respected in the village” playing an important part in the raising of money for the building of the Village Memorial Hall, in 1957, Lieut-Col, Sir Frank Brook D.S.O., M.C., D.I. was Chairman. In Jan 1956 he was given Grade of Knight in the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital for St. John of Jerusalem. (St. John’s Ambulance). They were joined in1948 by Frances Bird, daughter of Sir Frank and Lady Brook, her son John Francis Bird aged 5 and daughter Rosemary. Their grandson John Bird became a local solicitor and author. Some of the characters in his books (Gumboot Practice) were based on people he had known in the village he loved. He remembered the lovely garden with orchard and tennis court and his happy childhood. It was perhaps fitting that he married a Pool girl, Rosemary (nee Dyson) whose family lived at Braeburn, Arthington Lane.” (John Francis Bird letter- 2004 writer of the book “In Chevin’s Lee” mentioning Pool.) Manor House now (2002) converted into flats.
Attached to the Manor House was Ivy Farm, (map of 1902) now a private house. Census of 1871 shows William Yewdall owning the farm, but not present, a cloth manufacturer employing 31 hands.
1870-1873 The partnership of John Clayton and William Yewdall – Pool High/Walk Mill.
During WW2 it was home to approx. six families of evacuees from London.(cutting).
Various past tenants have confirmed that the Manor House is haunted.
c1910 c. 1900 – Charles Denton’s shop 1953 Neville Gladstone
NORTH VIEW STORES Main Street,(now cottages 2010) the building appears on a map of 1767 and was part of Pool Hall. S.H.P. states this may have been a shop owned by Mary Perkins in 1821, followed by John Bramley in 1829 who lived from1798 to1873, it was his daughter Eliza who married Charles Denton. Charles Denton had the shop c. 1900. A newspaper cutting dated 1935 states that Charles Denton died at almost 90 years of age and was the oldest seller of the Evening News in Yorkshire (photo). This was a pink paper. Often delivering the newspapers in the dark, he carried a storm lamp which he would to put down to push the paper through the letter box, lads would “steal” the lamp and hide it down the passage. One of Charles Denton’ daughters, Edith married Samuel Mills Foster and in the 1920’s Fosters and later owned this store. The shop was known as “Top Fosters” as they later also owned another general store and petrol station called “Bottom Fosters” which is now the Half Moon Garage and post office. They also ran a café and grocery store from the newsagents. It would seem that the shop had been in the same family for over one hundred years. In 1929 Fosters advertised that they had been in business for 100 years so we assume the family were at the newsagents from at least 1829, certainly the same family were running the business from 1849. The first petrol pump in Pool was installed here c. 1910 selling Pratts petrol. The pump was removed in c.1974 by which time it was selling National Benzole petrol. The petrol pipe can still be seen running down the east end of the converted cottages.
During the 1950’s when owned by Neville Gladstone, (grandson of the Pullein family, the old Lords of the Manor). The east end of the shop, which had been the tea room, became a sub-branch of the Midland Bank, with limited opening hours. When the Bank was closed in the 1970’s, the shop was extended to include this.
During the 1920’s Aldi Tankard renewed a fireplace for Mr. Denton. On taking it out he found many clay smoking pipes in perfect condition, some of which were organ pipes (the long kind). Mrs. Denton had hidden them from her husband as she object to his smoking habit.
Pool Hall and Pool Hall Farm was owned by John Bramley Yeadon in 1910. (2012 “Pool Hall Farm” is incorrectly named on the nearby Hall Farm which was built c. 1900 when Holmes the farmer moved in to the newly built farm)
The land and houses in 1894 was passed to John Yeadon from Mathew Cranswick, J. G. McCandlish & R. Hutchinson. 1897; J. Woodcock; David Brook and John Yeadon. 1913 Sarah Ann Yeadon, Joshua Fearnside Sinclair and John Bramley Yeadon. Mortgagee Mary Elinor Yeadon. (A John Bramley Yeadon moved from the Nunnery, Arthington into Pool Hall in 1902).
In 1928 Conveyance of Merger of Tithe commutation of rent charge of 2/3rds of 6/8d. between F. H. Fawkes and J.C. Jackson. Original payment in 1866 made by Clough Jackson for railway land. In 1931 the farm passed from Jackson to W. L. Whiteley for £4,500. The house and shop (North View Stores) was sold to Harry and Gertrude Foster for £2,300. The intended purchaser in 1931 was Elinor Stewart Johnson (deeds)
The shop finally closed in June 2001, but remained delivering newspapers for a short while. Renovations of the North View Stores to turn it into two cottages began in Nov. 2001 when many blocked up doors and chimneys were found along with a 1917 penny . The centre part of the row was originally the 18th century house. (PT)
See cutting 1935. Also 2001.
OLD MILL HOUSE Mill Lane. 1775 is the date above door, as part of the corn mill complex. The present owner still has the deeds going back to 1775. Previous to this the mill property, was advertised to let by Lords of the Manor. The cellars were filled in about 100 years ago due to flooding. Originally two small cottages, when owned by G. A. Tankard (Vincent Parker), converted c.1940 into one by Bulay Watson of Pool Hall, for the use of his chauffeur. Grain was kept in the cellars. An old mill stone is preserved in the driveway, from the old corn mill (older than the one in the school play ground which is on loan from the R.G.M.C.) It was dug out from the mill site by the present owner. There were two other old mill houses in Pool, The Rosary,(rear survives) and Ryddings House (demolished) both were on Otley Road, which were attached to the High or Walk fulling mill and Low paper mill. The West Yorkshire Archive Service confirmed the corn mill had medieval stonework. See full section on Corn Mill details “Mills of Pool-in-Wharfedale
PENNDENE/THE SHRUBBERIES, Grade II listed Georgian, now known as Penndene. On map 1847 and possibly on the Creskeld map of 1756 although it is thought to have been built by the Pulleins c. 1830. Originally the smaller house attached was known as Penndene whilst the main house known as The Shrubberies. On 3rd of August 1829 John Pullein agreed to purchase the “Manor of Poole”, including farms cottages, corn mill, fields, etc. from Edward Armitage of Farnley Hall, Leeds, for the sum of six thousand pounds. In a sale of property and land owned by the Manor House Estate (The Pulleins) in 1902, it stated “Country residence known as “The Shrubberies”, 1 acre, etc., excited some competition and was eventually secured by Mr. William Pullein for £700.” The last member of the Pullein family to live in the house was Mrs. Gladstone, (nee Pullein) left in 1936. .The smaller attached house to the north, Penndene, was home to the headmaster of Pool School in the 1930’s. For a while during 1960’s was used by staff of Pool Court Restaurant. (demolished) On sale in 2011 described as “A particularly fine and spacious Grade II listed stone detached “Manorial” style property”