DAVEY John Davey was a cordwainer (shoe maker), born 1836 in Otley. His wife Sarah was born in Leathley in 1839. They moved to Pool, John still a cordwainer, c 1881 with his wife and children, Sarah, Herbert and Frederick
Herbert, his son, was born in 1876 in Leathley and was a gardener in the village.
Both he and his wife, Catherine came from Scotland to Leeds area in the 1880’s
Frederick was born in 1871 in Leathley. At the age of 20 became a quarry worker at Pool Bank quarry. He married Jessie Broadfoot and lived in Church View until 1916 followed by Park Buildings, Pool. They had ten children: Annie, Harry, Edith, Lizzie, Ellie, Fred, Jessie, Alice, Lucy, and Hilda. Lucy was later to marry David Holmes Whiteley grandson of the co-founder of B.S. & W . Whiteley Ltd. Six of their children were born on Church View.
Harry Davey WW1, father of Harold. It took a year before confirmation of Harold’s (below) death and that same month his father Harry, died from wounds received in WW1. He never learned of his son’s death. Harry lived at High Mill.
Harold Davey lived at High Mill . Son of Harry and Ida Davey of Pool. Reported “Missing presumed dead 27th June 1944”. Lance Corporal in the South Lancashire Regiment. 1st Bn. Killed in Normandy buried at Hermanville Sur Mer, France, aged 21. Service No. 14202541. Casualty Thype: Commonwealth War Dead. Grave/Memorial Ref. 4. A. 8. Unmarried, worked at a green grocers in Bondgate Otley.
On Nov.9th 2008 a young member of Harold’s family journeyed to Westminster Abbey to place his cross in the British Legion’s “Field of Remembrance”, officially opened by Prince Philip on 6th Nov.2008.
Hilda married David Pickard who was killed in WW2.
David Pickard –139528 Flying Officer Bomb Aimer. On 27 July 1944, Albemarle aircraft serial number P1400, 297 Squadron RAF, took off from RAF Brize Norton at 2300hrs for a special secret operation ‘Harry 41’ over France. Whilst crossing the coast west of Montmartin-sur-Mer the aircraft was attacked by a night fighter, damaging the controls, and the pilot gave the order to bale out. The aircraft crashed in the vicinity of Muneville-sur-Mer at about 0030hrs on 28 July 1944. Three of the crew managed to bale out of the aircraft, but the remainder lost their lives. Their bodies were recovered and they were buried on 31 July 1944. Father was gardener at Pool Hall. Married to Hilda Davey. Was a joiner at Stephen Kaye woodyard, Pool – lived at Huby before marriage. Full details and photo on www.raf38group.org/muneville
Hilda and Alice lived for many years on Manor Crescent. Their father Fred, by now a retired railwayman, was one of the first tenants. In later life Hilda and Alice lived together in the Jane Whiteley Memorial Homes. After a lifetime of caring for others, Alice passed away aged 96. Hilda spent much of her life around the Chapel and had a fine singing voice.
Members of the Davey family still live in the village.
DENTON. There is a John Denton mentioned in 1815 on the list of burials, who may well have been of this family also the 1841 census shows Joseph Denton age 35 cloth weaver at Walk Mill (Members of the Denton family, Harry and his sister Eva still live on Castley Lane 2013).
1841 Joseph Denton age 35 Cloth weaver Walk Mill.
1851 Thomas aged 32, Joiner at Walk Mill, born North Bradley Wilts.
Ann (Mary Ann)wife born Rood, Wilts.
Celia aged 8 )
Caleb Charles aged 6 ) Born North Bradley Wilts
Mary aged 5 )
Elizabeth aged 0 ) Born Pool.
Edward aged 6 )
1871 Thomas aged 50 Shuttlemaker, at Walk Mill born North Bradley Wilts
Mary (Mary Ann) wife, 50 born Rood Wilts
Mary daughter aged 23 Woollen weaver. Born Pool
Elizabeth, 21 “ Pool
Edward 19, Shuttlemaker apprentice Pool
Albert 11 Scholar Pool
Henry (Harry) 9 Scholar Pool
Charles, father, aged 73 retired woollen weaver, living with son, Thomas, at Walk Mill. born in North Bradley Wiltshire.
1871 Charles 26 Overlocker at Walk Mill living in the village. Born Pool (later to become grocer and newsagent at North View Stores)
Eliza, (nee Bramley) wife aged 24. Born Pool.
1881 Thomas Denton aged 60 Shuttlemaker employing 1 man and 1 boy.
Wife Ann aged 65
Jane daughter aged 25
Albert Thomas shuttlemaker aged 22
Henry shuttlemaker aged 20
Edward aged 29 Shuttlemaker, son Thos. Arthur age 1
1891 Thomas 70 Shuttlemaker
Mary Ann 71 wife
Jane 34 daughter born Pool
Harry 26 Shuttlemaker married Clara. Brother-in-law to Thos Lodge of White Hart.
Edward (Ned) 39 Quarry turntable operator, living 4, Sandy Lobby 1887)
1911 Harry 48 Shuttlemaker Clara wife 43 (one child died, not listed)
Harold 20 domestic gardener
William 17 hotel laborer
Arthur 15 domestic gardener
Feb. 1882 at a Concert in St. Wilfrid’s school room, “Mr. Albert Denton of Pool gave two pianoforte solos in a finished style and was loudly applauded”. W. Denton was Clerk to the Parish Council of Pool in 1910
Albert Lewis Denton. Gunner in Royal Artillery “D” Bty. 247th Bde. Died 27.6.1916 age 21. Service No. 877. Son of Albert Thomas and Margaret Hannah Denton of Grimthorpe St. Headingley, Leeds, Native of Pool. Grave Ref. III.D.5. Cemetery: Mesnil Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme, France
Albert became the postmaster and shuttlemaker with the post office on Wharfe View, whilst Harry became a shuttlemaker, postman, watch and clock repairer and maker of rollers for washing mangles. He was known as” Whiteley’s dentist”, as made teeth to repair the wooden cogs in Whiteley’s waterwheel
“The Denton brothers were shuttle makers and supplied to the weaving mills a really first class article made from apple wood. The finished shuttle was a very fine piece of work which was highly polished. They had side lines such as wood teeth for gears, these were an article that required accuracy in manufacture. It was a common say if anyone wanted to twit a person who had lost his teeth “tha’ll hev to go and mak an appointment wi Harry”. It would be this shop which installed the first internal combustion engine in the village, I can well remember how it used to sound in the school”(Memories Holmes Whiteley b. 1888.)
John Bramley,& wife Ann were already keeping North View Stores, Main Street, (closed in 2001, now converted into cottages). He had a daughter Eliza who married Charles Denton and in turn their daughter married B. Foster who later carried on the business. Charles Denton, grocer and newsagents, died c. 1953, at over 90 years of age. It was recorded after his death that he had been the oldest seller of the Evening News in Yorkshire. It therefore would seem that the shop had been in the same family for over one hundred years. In 1929 Fosters advertised that they had been in business for 100 years. (see Industries)
In 1953 (Caleb) Charles Denton was still in good health aged 92. His son Wallace married Agnes and lived on Castley Lane, where their son Harry and daughter Eva still live. (2013)
Wallace and brother William. Wallace was a farm worker at Newby’s farm at Pool Farm Cottage, he also used a horse drawn snow plough to clear the footpaths in winter. William was an hotel laborer (census (1911) Another daughter Ethel, now living in Canada – 2004, can remember visiting the small shuttle factory at the rear of Chapel Row and walking up the much used wooden steps around 1925
Their sister Gladys married Jack Langley (right on bus photo) in 1929. Jack was the bus conductor on the service which began running through Pool in 1924.
Harold Ellis Denton D.C.M. Sergeant. Duke of Wellington’s Regiment. Killed in France, buried in Belgium. Wounded and gassed at Hill 60. After recuperating at home returned to duty and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his gallantry in raiding a German dugout on July 18th. On 8th Aug 1918, whilst at the head of his company leading an attack against the enemy, he was shot in the head and killed whilst an Acting Sergeant Major. Son ofHarry and Clara Denton.
John & Mary Denton worked at Torrack Hill for Sir Francis and Lady Watson and lived at High Mills.
After WW1 Arthur was a chauffeur at Torracks Hill. When a horse in front of his car bolted, his shellshock began. He died 14.12.1928. He is seen here being supported by a fence.
A small hire purchase book with calendars of 1887/8 on back, listing goods bought to set up home, (copy in Information 1-2-20) was found at 4 Sandy Lobby in 1999 belonging to a Mr. Denton, understood to have belonged to Mr. Ned Denton who worked the turntable in Pool Quarries. He had a son Clifford and daughter Phillis. There are two copy birth certificates signed by “Timble Man” John Dickinson in the Archives, census. 19th June 1903 during a sale of property of Michael Nicholson, Clara Denton, wife of Harry, purchased two cottages on Mill Lane, now known as “The Rock” for £255. They were in the occupation of Ridealgh and Huddlestone paying a rent of £15 per annum. The houses had the right of free use of water for domestic purposes only. There was also a tythe of £3.11.9d. and a land tax of £1.18.9d. At this time Clara Denton lived in Park Buildings.
Harry is an enthusiastic collector and restorer of old steam engines and farm machinery and has a small museum attached to their home on Castley Lane.
DUNWELL , 1539 Richard Dunwell and William Dunwell are mentioned in Otley Muster Rolls.
On 30.3.1605 the christening of “Dorithy Dunwell daughter of Xpofer of Poole” (also spelled “Poule” in the Otley Church records around this date). In 1609 Henry Dunwell is described as of “Poole Fulling Mills”. Dunwells are mentioned as having lived at Caley Hall.
Otley Church registers records a Marmaduke Dunwell as a “carrier in Poole” in 1733. In Bains Directory of 1821 James Dunwell (1781-1856) was a carrier to Knaresborough on Wed. and Bradford every Thursday at Pool Farm Cottage till after 1849 (SHP). His eldest son, Joseph Rhodes Dunwell (1807-1835) a Pool Methodist missionary, went to Ghana in 1835 where he died 6 months later (see Churches)
The Land Tax return dated 1793 suggests they paid tax on land owned by Walter Fawkes as occupiers of “Mr. Close for Mill Croft “ (Walk/High Mill)and late Dunwell’s but it was crossed out.
In 1725 at an inquisition, lands called Foul Causeway Ing were earlier in Dunwell’s possession. (Foul Causeway is near Caley and towards Otley).
The 1841census shows a family called Dunwell were farmers in Pool. The last known surviving Dunwell was Madge Wainwright who died 10th March 1997.
FAIRBURN The Fairburn family can be traced back through Thomas Horner 1871 at Pool Corn Mill. The Fairburns were millers at Arthington, Leathley and Skiroot. In 1889 the Fairburn family were at Pool Corn Mill, 1889 John Fairburn miller, is described as being at a steam mill. 1891 Fairburn’s wife, Margaret (a widow in 1891 census) was running the Pool Corn Mill with Reginald, her son,(born in Fewston 21.8.1875) a miller aged 15. Reginald Fairburn became the keeper of the Half Moon Temperance hotel (now the Half Moon Inn) in the early 1900’s. He and his wife, Fanny also had a tea room there and provided bed and breakfast. It was about this time that Holmes Whiteley described “a confectionery business was started and real good eats they were”.
Outside Reginald Fairburn, although lame, built a bowling green which backed on to Mill Lane and took two years to build.
“In 1889 he was helping his father at the Arthington Mill, carrying sacks etc. when there was a bad fire at the mill and he rode on horseback 6 miles to fetch the Otley Fire Brigade, but they were too late, the mill burnt down 1900/01 moved to the Half Moon doing all the things that we know about. Before 1911 he moved to 5, Chevin View, Pool next to the school and ran the telephone exchange.
He had a bad accident with a horse and cart at the stone quarry round about 1911 when the wheels ran over him and he broke 5 ribs, pierced a lung and broke a leg, and he was left with only one lung. 1919/20 he took over a small garage down the side of the Methodist Chapel and did repairs and ran a taxi car but he ran into debt due to people not paying their bills and in 1929/30 he gave up the garage and became a chauffeur/gardener for “old man Whiteley” (William L.) of Pool Paper Mills. He was a keen gardener and won many prizes. During the war he resisted wearing a gas mask and didn’t take shelter during air raids, choosing to stand watching. He died in 1945”. His grandfather, James Ernest Leach, became vicar of St. Wilfrid’s in 1938.(family research in Documents)
Advert of March 1910 reads “R. Fairburn, Half Moon Temperance Hotel. Large or small parties catered for. Field for bowls, cricket etc. etc. Cabs, Landaus and Waggonettes for hire. Hearse and Mourning carriages. General carting agent. All orders promptly executed.” He moved there in 1900
HIRST The Bains directory of 1822 shows Jarvis Hirst as a shoemaker in the village.
1841 Elizabeth Hirst aged 49 widow, employed at the Pool paper mill.
Children: Sarah aged 13, Benjamin aged 11, George aged 9. They all worked at High/Walk woollen mill (which was next to the paper mill on Otley Road, Pool)
The Tythe map of 1849 shows them living at what we now call Stanhope cottages.
1846 Benjamin died aged 16 as did Jabez aged 5
1847 Sarah died aged 19. (There must have been some sort of epidemic in 1846 as out of the 14 recorded deaths only 2 were over 33 years, most were in their teens- there was a cholora epidemic in Leeds in 1849)
1851 Census: Elizabeth Hirst aged 58 working at paper mill George (son) aged 20 working as a woollen spinner. Both born in Pool
1861 Elizabeth Hirst aged 69 – worker in paper mill. Mary (daughter) aged 28. Mary (granddaughter) aged 1.
They then seem to disappear from the census details
HUDDLESTON Abraham Huddleston arrived at Arthington Mill on 2nd July 1771 from Old Wind Mill, Woodhouse Ridge Leeds – he is buried in Pool. Many of the family also lived in Pool.
KAYE STEPHEN was born in Farnley in 1845 and married Pool born Harriet. By 1881 he was aged 36 at which time they had three daughters, Harriet and Elizabeth and Florence and son Arthur. He began his joinery business in 1860 and by 1871 was employing 1 man and 1 boy, Built the mill at Newton Kyme (David Whiteley)
Prior to the factory being on Arthington Lane in 1901, it was situated at the entrance to Pool Hall before Hall Farm, Main Street, Pool. was built.
Around 1901 he had his saw mill on Arthington Lane, trading under the name “S.Kaye & Son Joiners, Horticultural Builder, Wheelwright”. Stephen Kaye’s saw mill business was sold off when Arthur Kay’s the eldest son, Francis Bertram Kaye grandson of Stephen Kaye was killed in the World War 2.
Francis Bertram Kaye – Grandson of Stephen Kaye of Stephen Kaye & Son, wood yard, Arthington Lane, unmarried. Sergeant (Pilot) in R.A.F. Volunteer Reserves 64 Sqdn. Died on 1.11.1941 aged 24. Service No. 1058697. Son of Arthur and Ellen Kaye of Pool. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead. Grave/Memorial Ref. Sec. G. Grave 549.
The Whiteleys’, owners of Pool paper mill, purchased the business and Vincent “Vinny” Parker, son-in-law of Arthur Kaye was made manager (For more information see “Industry Stephen Kaye and Son Ltd”.) His relation, William Kaye was born in Bury, Lancashire and came to Pool to be the Police Constable (census 1871) See Stephen Kayes under “Families” Whiteleys also bought Park Buildings. (See “ Industries)
METCALFE DR. John .S. 22.3.1928 – 8.6.2015 Born in Pontefract. Trained at Leeds Medical School in 1945. National Service 1953 “came to the Pool Medical practice in 1955, or to be precise, 27.12.54, When I started in 1955 each doctor held a surgery once each week which later became me only, twice per week. The waiting room was in a passage under some stairs and one climbed some steps to tiny room. In 1963 we moved to the Church Room in Mill Lane because the hotel became the Half Moon with an alcohol license. When the Church Room was sold in 1980, we moved to the Chapel.” Whilst in Practice could be seen on his cycle with his satchel visiting patients. A Captain, President and Life Member and player of Pool Cricket Club, also benefactor and sides man for St. Wilfrid’s church until his death age 87. (See Public Services)
McMAGINTY Mic cannot go unmentioned. Mic was a Catholic Irish tramp who would often wander into Pool during the early 1900’s bound for Wetherby or Knaresborough. His “home” was the workhouse in Otley, although he would often spend the night in the barns which were at that time attached to the White Hart. He was a pleasant man and the local villagers (Mrs. Davey & Mrs. Midgley) would often provide him with a drink and a few jam sandwiches to help him on his way.
MILTHORP/NICHOLSON/SNOWDON, John Milthorp (Pool) (1725-1778) and William Milthorp (Arthington) (1696-1757) farmers and maltsters are two of the earliest dates found connected to Pool although 1696 the family is mentioned as living at Arthington. John (1768-1847) and William (of Leathley in 1809) (living in 1870) sons of the above, can be traced as owners of land in Pool in 1756.
John Milthorp lived at Pool House until 1822 when he owned The White Hart Inn, The Half Moon Inn, a “Pasteboard Manufactory” (Brook Cottage) a House and a School in the Occupation of James Thompson; a Butchers Shop in the occupation of Joseph Stead and Co.; Twelve cottages in the several Occupations of Michael Nicholson and his Undertenants. In the sale of John Milthorp’s house (Pool House) it included many brewing items, i.e. quantity of malt, brewing vessels, barrels and a malt kiln. Pool House was sold to the Nowell Stott of Manchester, which was inherited by Susannah Stott of Eccleshill Hall, near Bradford and remained within the family (later known as Stanhopes) until the1930’s. (See Pool House) It would suggest that the Milthorp’s then moved to Plainville/Park House, demolished in 2002.(See also Pool Mills)
Family Standing in the community
April 1833 Wharfdale Agricultural Society held at Otley on Friday 19th day of April “They also reported an aged cow, the property of Mr. John Milthorp of Leathley and the blood horse Grey Conqueror, which were not entered for the premiums to be deserving of much praise.”
30th March 1839 Appointment of Overseers. On Monday Magistrates acting in and for the East Division of Morley held a special petty sessions at the Bradford Court House for the appointment of Overseers for the several Townships in the said division. The following names of the Bradford and townships in the immediate neighbourhood. Bradford. C. T. Turner, John Milthorp, wool stapler.
Sept. 1850. Mill Burnt at Pool. A paragraph in our last Supplement states that the spinning mill of Mr. Milthorp was partially destroyed by fire. We are informed that Mr. Milthrop is insured in the Leeds and Yorkshire Assurance Company.
March 1856 Election of Auditors and Assessors. Mr. Wm. Milthorp commission agent.
Nov. 1856 Election of Chief Constable. Yesterday at noon a special adjourned session of the West Riding took place at the Court house Wakefield for the purpose of electing a Chief Constable for the West Riding under the 2nd and 3rd Victoria cap.93 and the rules made by the Secretary of State for the Home Dept. and also for laying an assessment or assessments for the necessary expenses of the police establishment of the West Riding for the half-year. Wm. Milthorp Maude, Esq. (many other names mentioned)
Jan 1860 A charge by Mr. G. H. L. Richards of Armley, sub-inspector of factories charged Mr. John Milthorp of Pool, woollen manufacturer, upon 15 several informations with having employed women and young persons in his mill after six oclock, had been dropped. (Later Rickards came to live in the Manor House, Pool.)
Jan 1863 Mr. William Milthorp has made his annual gratuitous distribution of coals and beef to the necessitous poor of Pool near Otley.
March 1863 Assessor: William Milthorp paper merchant.
Michael Nicholson’s family were also malsters and farmers and can be traced back to 1750. The family owned much land and property in the village, apparently living at Pool Hall. The Tythe details of 1849 show both Michael Nicholson and Francis Hawkesworth Fawkes being sole recipients to tythe money. He, or his father, also Michael, bought Low mill (paper mill) from his brother in law John Milthorp in 1809.
The company became known as Nicholson & Co. employing 22 workpeople in 1851. Michael Nicholson (1783-1858) became a trustee of the Leeds Otley Turnpike Trust road in 1841 owning land at Old Pool Bank.(map 1872/I.3.j) In 1919 Michael Nicholson leased many fields from Hawkesworth Fawkes through John Smith. A Barn, stable and mistel was occupied by William Nicholson, Dunwell and Hartley. The fields were Close Head, Long Close, Low Close, Whitbike, Stock Close, Stark Close, Rape Close, Low and Middle Acre
After his death in 1858 he left Brayton Cottage to his neice Emma Snowdon. From the sale of his property by his trustees, in 1903 it would appear he also owned Pool Water Works, Chapel Row, St.Wilfird’s Terrace, The White House (Pool Farm)on Old Pool Bank, Plainville (Monkmans), and large areas of land in the village (see Map of sale I.3.6) including the areas on which Parklands and Redrow estates are built. Michael Nicholson’s sister, Elizabeth, (1786-31.10.1866) married John Milthorp (1768-1847) in 1802. They had six children. Elizabeth Milthorp was still living at Plainville in 1861.
Michael Nicholson Milthorp Snowdon (1846-1918)in 1903 was a Bank Manager of Great Grimsby, and was the grandson of Elizabeth and John and lived in Plainville from 1912. It had previously been let to various tenants. The mill owning family lived at Plainville (demolished 2002/Monkmans) until c. 1950, for over 150 years. Katey Snowdon was Pool Guide Captain for many years and died in 1983 aged 100. Her brother Basil Snowden was responsible for handcarving the choir stalls of St Wilfrid’s church whilst Harold Snowden took the Sunday Reading.
Their fine Georgian family home, Plainville/Park House/Pool Court/Monkmans, was demolished in 2002, for the building of The Hollies housing estate. It is said that Plainville was built on the site of a farm which had been given to John Milthorp (1768-1847) by Edmund Maude who died in 1829. (the Maudes of Burley began in 1550). John’s sister, Mary-died 1786- had married Edmund Maude in 1776.
MITCHELL Maskell Mitchell worked and lived at Arthington at North signalbox, Arthington before moving to Pool on 6.1.1906. Lots of signalmen were fishermen. Maskell was at Pannal, and Pateley Bridge signals before he took over a fishing tackle business in Leeds from Francis Walbrun of Pool who wrote a book called “Grayling, and How to Catch Them” in 1895. He had 7 children. Some were quite badly injured in WW1 but all survived
Maskell wrote an article in the London published “Fishing Gazette” stating his five sons were fighting in WW1 and “out of our little village of Pool 100 young men have joined the Army. The place seems dead now the boys are gone”. Bernard Mitchell, a son married Edith Davy, (description in David Whiteley’s Memoirs.) who after his involvement in WW1 went to work in his father’s fishing tackle shop.
Mrs. Ethel Mitchell married Ernest kept a grocery shop at the Bar House on Arthington Lane until 1983. Lived well into her 90’s. Served as a nurse and cook during WW1
PARKER A Thomas Parker is described as being a husbandman of Pool in 1718 in Otley Parish Registers, when his daughter Mary was baptised. Thomas Parker, born 29.6.1799 was apprenticed to Nicholson & Co. paper makers at Low Mill, Pool on 5.6.1818. (David Whiteley’s Memoirs) Later Frank Parker (son) was in partnership with William Yates, who began renting Low Mill in 1868. He died in 1872. They are both recorded as living in houses on Fatticake Row/Old Post Office Row, (now demolished) in 1849 (Tythe map). (Martha Yates is recorded in 1851 census as a shopkeeper)
The 1871 census shows Frank Parker and William Yates living at Riddings House, Pool Road, employing 11 women and 12 men on census of 1871. They went into receivership “16th April 1886 Re. William Yates, paper manufacturer. The Official Receiver stated at the Leeds Bankruptcy Court on Tuesday that the liabilities in this case were £1,315 and the assets £683. Debtor stated that he commenced business about 18 years ago in partnership with Mr. Frank Parker, the joint capital being £600. In 1872 Mr. Parker died and the witness paid his half share of the concern £672 to his trustees. He had since carried on business alone. He called his creditors together in February 1884, he was £200 to £300 to the bad. His creditors requested him to go on and obtained a reduction of rent for him but owing to depression in trade and the continual diminution in prices representing about 50s. per ton, he continued to lose. His losses since February 1974 were about £770. He kept on because he hoped for an improvement. His rent was reduced from £300 to £210 in 1881 and to £1120 in 1883. The examination closed.” (Wharfedale Observer 1886)
A report in the Wharfedale newspaper on 2nd April 1886 states that the first meeting of the creditors of William Yates, paper manufacturer of Pool was held at the Official Receivers Office in Leeds. He had commenced business in 1868 in partnership with Frank Parker who had died in 1872. Due to depression in the trade (only 50s. per ton), old fashioned machinery and ill health, he was unable to keep it going. This was in spite of a reduction in rent from £300 to £210 in 1881 then to £120 in 1883.
Before moving to the Mill House on Otley Road (Ryddings House) William Yates and Frank Parker lived on Fatticake Row. After the death of Frank Parker, William Yates married his widow. Martha Yates died in 1846; John Yates 1850; Ann Yates 1855; John Yates 1862. It seems Mary Greaves (see Fox & Hounds) may have been related as she is buried in the same grave.
George Parker, son of Thomas Parker and his wife Edith (nee Kaye – daughter of Arthur Kaye, Pool Saw Mills) purchased the row of four terraced cottages adjacent to the old corn mill, from the Pullein family. These had originally been grain stores for the Corn Mill which Tankards had converted into cottages. He acquired them gradually as they became completed. George & Edith Parker occupied No 6, the end cottage nearest the river.
He eventually owned the whole row. They then became known as “Parker’s Cottages”. Vinney Parker, George’s eldest son lived in the house at the other end of the row and bought them when they were sold off to settle his father’s estate. (Bryan Perrin-relation))
The Parker family continued to live in Pool until c.1995, when Vincent (Vinney) Parker (nickname “buckets” because his large hands were able to hold a catch a ball at cricket) moved to a Residential Home. Vinney was the manager for Stephen Kaye & Co. on Arthington Lane. He spent all his life in Pool being involved in cricket, football and St. Wilfrid’s church. He died in 2002. (see “Terraced Cottages – Mill Cottages.”)
PULLAN Several Pullan families were living in Pool at the same time. James in Stanhope Cottages , John on Chapel Row( Tythe map 1849). The first mention of Pullan is John Pullan born in 1758, with his wife Ann born in 1766 who were farmers.(see 1841 census John aged 85) John Pullan 1805 – 1882 was a blacksmith wife Susannah 1811 -1893. They lived in Chapel Row. (tythe map 1849). Records suggest the daughter of the latter, Mary, married John Gall who arrived in Yorkshire from Cambridgeshire at the age of 16 to find work on the construction of Lindley Reservoir and later worked on the railway as a porter earning 17s. a week. They too lived with the family in Chapel Row where they were to remain until Mrs. Gall was the age of 84. The Whitehead, Cryer, Carlton, Twiedy, Rider, Midgley, Horner, Fairburn, Ridealgh, Heslegrave, families are all related to this family with some still living in Pool. Charlie Galls daughter Joan married Eric Cryer. (See “Events of the Past”)
PULLEIN (Lords of Manor of Pool) On 3rd of August 1829 John Pullein, miller, agreed to purchase the “Manor of Poole”, which included farms, cottages, the water corn mill, fields and closes from Edward Armitage of Farnley Hall, Leeds, for the sum of six thousand pounds. He was then considered Lord of the Manor of Pool. John Pullein, miller, was from Follifoot and lived from 1800 to 1866, his wife Fanny, was a Mallorie. Their sons were Mark, Thomas and John (the younger-died 1912). John Pullein (the younger) miller, had sons John Milton Pullein and Percy Jowett Pullein a farmer of Arthington in 1910. (Short History of Pool – published 1929). The Pullein family were also in Denton in 1856 where Mark was a farmer.
In 1913 Thomas Mallorie Pullein is described as a ”Wharfedale Gentleman”, who died in 1915, he had sons Walter Thomas and Wm., both butchers and John of Pool were also farmers at this date.
The 1851 census shows John Pullein a farmer of 75 acres employing three labourers. The 1861 census registers Thomas Pullein as a farmer of 180 acres employing 1 labourer and 1871 registered as a miller
On 2nd November 1874 Thomas Mallorie Pullein leased the Water Corn Mill (on Mill Lane), various pieces of the machinery going gear, mill dam, etc. also the stable and cart shed, and “a parcel of land called The Yellands adjoining the Mill Dam” to Thomas Grunwell for £32. 10s. per quarter, although Thomas Pullein was still to have the right to use the Straw Chopper in the Drying Kiln.
According to the present owners their deeds state that the Shrubberies,(now Penndene), Main Street was built c. 1810 by the Pulleins, but P.T. says it is an 18th century building. The map of 1756 shows the house may have been there then. The family lived in this house until 1936.
In 1925 John Milton Pullein was living at Fair View on Otley Road. The terraced row of four cottages on Mill Lane was built by them c. 1890.
In the sale of property and land by the Manor House Estate on Friday 23rd July 1902, the area now containing the War Memorial and gardens was described as a building site of 693 sq yds with 139 ft of frontage to highway was bought by Mr. T. Swallow (Pool) at 2/6d per yard. The land was passed on from “Hannah Pullein and others” to Emily A. Swallow on Nov 4th 1902. It later transferred to the Pool Parish Council on 22nd June 1920 for the building of the War Memorial. This sale of 1902 saw the end of the title “Lord of the Manor of Pool”.
“Bert Pullein married Doreen Podmore who lived at Pool House Farm.
John Pullein’s death is recorded in 1866 aged 65. Mallorie Pullein is buried at Stainburn.
One member of the family lived in Ivy Cottage, adjoining the Manor house, she was called Fanny and was well known as “Granny Pullein”, she died in 1924 aged 90. (SHP) Mable Gladstone (nee Pullein) drove the A.R.P. ambulance during the 2nd W.W. Neville Gladstone, her son, ran North View Stores in the 1950’s. (much background information was given by him to the family).
The Pulliens continued farming from Pool Farm, off Otley Road, until c.1980 then moved to Bramhope.
Extract from Pulleyn family. Full history on CD in Pool Archive. The family were corn millers,and the old windmill where John of Follifoot and John his son ground corn, still serves for the people round. “Mrs. Thomas Pullein of Pool, writing in 1915 on her husband’s behalf, stated that the old farmhouse in which John of Follifoot lived, and where his sons were born, was a straw-thatched building now taken down. A new house occupies the site, but the property long ago passed out of the family. The house at Follifoot Ridge where John of Pool, his son, first lived is also pulled down, and a handsome house, with beautiful gardens, has been erected on the site.
The latter having married Fanny Mallorie of Barrowby, removed from Follifoot Ridge to Pool, where he was Lord of the Manor and occupied the Manor House, besides owning a corn mill (worked by his brother Mark), a villa, some cottages and a good deal of land. He had three sons: Mark, Thomas Mallorie and John who died on March 12.1860, his wife having died on March 29, 1856. They are interred inside Pool Church along with other members of the family. John of Pool’s three sons all married. Mark’s wife was Hannah Jowett; they had no family.
Thomas Mallorie Pullein first married Hannah Dawson, by whom he had nine children, six of whom (in 1909, when he was in his eightieth year) survived and married. Mrs. Pullein, whose maiden name was Fanny Boyne, tells a pretty story of how she was herself brought up at Pool, her parents occupying one of John Pullein’s houses; and how she and his children were great friends. When she was grown up she left Pool, and ultimately married. Thomas Pullein also married, as just said. Eventually both of them lost their partners after many years; and then Thomas could think of nothing pleasanter than the companionship of his old playfellow.
“We had both lost our loved ones, so Thomas came and asked me to marry him, and we are spending our declining years in the village where so many happy years of our childhood were spent.” Long may their days together still be! Every year they journey to Follifoot to see the old place, having that love of native soil which is so firmly implanted in Yorkshire breasts (Pullein document of 1830 in archives, also “Pulleyn complete family history” on CD in Archive given to Pool Archives by Gavin John Pullein. )
April 24 1896. “Parish Council Election. The first general annual meeting of the Parish Council was held on Friday evening last. The Rev. A. E. Meredith (the late Chairman) was appointed the Chairman and Mr. M. Barret, Vice Chairman of the year. Messrs. John Pullein and Herbert Pepper were appointed overseers of the poor.”(Wharfedale Observer.)
REV. WILLIAM JOHN RIDSDALE became curate for Pool in 1834, though he lived in Otley. St. Wilfrid’s Church was then a Chapel of Ease attached to the Parish Church in Otley. He remained curate for 45 years until the Constitution of the Parish of Pool in 1879 for which he was the prime mover. He was also greatly involved in organizing the building of the Pool Church of England School opened in 1872, continuing together with his family, to make regular visits to the school. It is written (S.H.P.) that he would ride from Otley each Sunday, on his white pony carrying a milk can of soup for the poor of the village.
He died in 1885 and is buried in St.Wilfrid’s church yard . The headstone can be found on the west wall. Recognition of his curacy was only added to the church board in 2004. William John Ridsdale died in 1885 aged 81 years. Isabella was his wife, Mary Dorothy daughter, Francis Thomas son died 1855 and William Everard son, died 1877. (see” Churches”.)
The Church:- The Rev. W. J. Ridsdale has been presented to the perpetual curacy of Pool, near Otley. Patron, the Rev. Ayscough Fawkes, Vicar of OtleyYork Herald and General Advertiser 20th Dec. 1834.
RICKARDS, George Henry Lascelles. Born 6.3.1819 died 22nd July 1892. Born in Wortley, from 1873 he lived in the Manor House, Pool for 20 years, until his death. He was one of the first factory inspectors in the area .In 1858 after practicing in the medical profession for 18 years he became Factory Inspector for Leeds, Bradford, Bingley, Keighley and the manufacturing centres of the East Riding. In those days, only textile factories were inspected. He was a true friend to the villagers in various ways. He was a keen ornithologist having in his possession a cast of an egg of the now extinct grey auk. His son carried on a business of a silk spinner at Bell Busk.
13th June 1883. “Accident to Boy”. On Wednesday night of last week an accident befel John Robert Ridealgh, a youth in the casual employ of Mr. George Crawshaw of the Fox and Hounds in Pool, when taking a horse to grass in a field near High Mill. It appears the lad was in the act of reaching up to take the blinders off the animal (which is remarkably docile) when it accidentally placed its foot upon his ankle and broke his leg near the calf. He was immediately taken to his home in the village and the limb was attended to by Mr. G.H.L.Rickard. He was afterwards removed to the Leeds Infirmary and we are glad to learn he is improving rapidly.
March 19th 1886. “Theft of Coal. Benjamin Greaves, mason of Pool, an aged man, was brought up in custardy charged with stealing coal, value 3d. (1.1/2p.), the property of Mr. Rickards, H. M. Inspectory of Factories, of Pool.”. The charge was that he stole the coal from an outhouse. He stated he did not have any coal at home but on inspection he had at least one hundredweight. “Mr. Rickard did not wish to press the case against the person who was an old man but hoped it would be a warning to him.” “The Bench ordered Greaves to be imprisoned until the rising of the Court.”
RIDEALGH Information on the whole family including the family tree, can be found on the general web under “Ridealgh family”. Census shows Robert Ridealgh as being a “quarry man” born in Lancashire and is understood to have originally been a “waller” at Arthington, possibly working on the railway. Robert and Isabella married in 1868 shortly moving to Pool where they had 8 children. After Isabella’s death in 1885 Robert married in 1890 to Jane White, a teacher at Pool School, having a further child, Harry Reginald. In 1849, aged 45, William Ridealgh, was an agricultural worker and a Pool millworker, he lived on Old Post Office Row, “Fatticake Row” (now demolished). It got its nickname through William who had the reputation of providing special oven cakes which were considered greasy – he lived at No. 7. In 1851 Charles Ridealgh his son at the young age of 9, is recorded as being a papermaker (1851 censusThere is a stone on Pool bridge with the name “J.R. Ridealgh 1860.
The family have amongst other occupations, variously been, farmers, quarry workers, ostlers, paper makers, small independent school teacher, shopkeeper, restraunteur. Part of the family moved to Canada in 1912, two of the men, born in Pool, Herbert William,and Alfred enrolled to fight for the England in WW1. Wilfred was a gunner and Harry Reginald living in Pool won the Military Cross (see “War Memorial) Members of the family still live in the village 2016)
Wharfedale Observer on 13th June 1883. “Accident to Boy”. On Wednesday night of last week an accident befell John Robert Ridealgh, a youth in the casual employ of Mr. George Crawshaw of the Fox and Hounds in Pool, when taking a horse to grass in a field near High Mill”. This is another family with several descendants still living in Pool to-day.
STANHOPE/STOTT (see Pool House in “Houses pre1850”)
SWALLOW Tom Swallow, wool merchant and builder (1845-1917) his wife Emily Annie, died in 1936. They lived with their daughter Gertrude,( born in Paris, France in 1887) in Troutbeck on Arthington Lane possibly around 1890. Tom Swallow built some houses on Pool Bank New Road, including Elm Bank, Fair Mead, 4 semi detached houses above them and later three houses on Avenue des Hirondelle. He owned much of the land stretching from Pool Bank New Road including the quarry on Old Pool Bank, owning much of the quarry land and quarry cottages. His original intention was to extend Avenue des Hirondelle to the Leeds Road. (the extension to the Avenue can be seen laid out to the west.) The lack of water pressure prevented this.(Pool had its own water supply at this time)
In 1922 he is seen on the Property Tax Assessment as owning seventeen other houses on Pool Bank. The story is that because his daughter Gertrude, was born in Paris, the name Avenue des Hirondelle was adopted.
(French for swallow). In 1896 he sold to Charles Darrah the land on which Overdale Manor is built. He built the top cottage on Sandy Lobby, and 1903 Rushmere Lodge, Arthington Lane.
In a sale of property and land by the Manor House Estate in 1902 he bought frontage to highway at 2/6d per yard in front of St. Wilfrid’s Church which passed on from “Hannah Pullein and others” to Emily A. Swallow on Nov 4th 1902, transferred to the Pool Parish Council on 22nd June 1920 for the building of the War Memorial, unveiled by Mrs. Swallow on 4th Aug. 1923. Tom Swallow made Stocks Hill into a garden but it “trespassed” a few inches into the main road, so was told by the Council to demolish it. This he did and transferred the plants, walls, etc. into his own garden and let the land which for several years had a large advertising hoarding . In 1949 Stocks Hill land was sold by Gertrude Harmer Swallow-Verall for £85 to Pool Parish Council on condition existing tenant shopkeepers were given 5 years lease. The official opening of the landscaped area took place in 1958. After his death the present organ was donated to St. Wilfrid’s church by his wife and daughter in his memory. (See Stocks Hill & War Memorial)
An advert in Pool Wesleyan, Bazaar, held 1910, shows Miss Swallow had a millinery shop in Market Place, Otley selling “a large assortment of hats, scarves and motor veils”. The river at the bottom of Troutbeck is called “Swallows Deep”, there was a boat house with stone steps leading down (still there 2008) and a diving board. The house became occupied by Mr. Swallow-Verrall, a solicitor. Land known as “Sim Ing” (cricket, football and school field), previously owned by Milthorp estate, sold in 1903, was owned by Swallows possibly until 1936 when purchased by William L. Whiteley, for future development of sport and recreation area.
On 11.5.1951 various portions of the old Swallow estate were bought by Holmes and William Whiteley including 5 cottages at Far Row transferred to mill ownership with adjoining land, for £250 each, also 2 cottages at Sandy Lobby and an area of mainly old quarry land being shared between the Whiteley brothers. Total price £2030.
(see Troutbeck in “Houses post 1850”)
TANKARDS, BUTCHER – OATS, BLACKSMITH In the 1920’s J.W.Tankard had his butchers shop to the south side of the Half Moon Inn. When livestock needed to be slaughtered he would call on Eddie Oats, whose blacksmiths shop was on the left almost at the entrance to what is now Wharfe Cres. behind “The Rock” cottage Mill Lane.
He would attach a rope to a beast’s head which then passed through a pipe, get the local lads to pull on the rope to keep it’s head low, then Eddie would then cast a blow to its head to kill it. When a pig was killed Mr. Tankard would toss the bladder to the waiting boys who would blow it up to use as a football.
Eddie had a field attached to his blacksmiths shop in which there was often a visiting circus. There was a round-about pulled by a horse which would gallop round very fast. The local lads would mount this horse and were fastened on by a harness. They were almost horizontal when going round! Eddie Oats made the iron railings which surrounded Ladies Walk, the garden of Pool House, owned at that time by the Stanhopes.. This was a garden which had an herbaceous border. This garden is now Church Close. (Freddie Midgley)
Eddie Oats lived in the old Fox & Hounds pub on Chapel Row later owning the sweet and chocolate shop on St. Wilfrids Terrace, (now a house.) 1871 Michael Oates, (Eddie’s father) aged 8, lived with his grandfather, also Michael, who was aged 53 and a retired blacksmith, born in Morley. They lived with John Buckley, who was inn keeper of the White Hart, Michael senior being father-in-law. Members of the Oats family now live in Otley.(2000)
TANKARD ALLISON was born in 1860 died 2.3.1930. He filled the various committee chairmanships, including Finance, Plans, Housing, Middleton and Nesfield, Adel Sewage and Pool Sewage. He was from 1902 chairman of Pool Parish Council until his sudden death in 1930. During WW1 he was chairman of the Food Control Committee and member of the local tribunal. He was the overseer for Pool until the post was ended and was one of the Managers of Pool School. As chairman of the Rural Council he became a magistrate and often sat on the Otley Bench. He was involved in the erection of the Pool war memorial. He was originally in business in Leeds as an ecclesiastic designer, his skill in designing stained glass windows spread as far as Sweden. In his youth was one of three prize winners in a designing competition open to the world, his prize a set of drawings of the famous Raphael collection of windows at the Vatican at Rome and was one of his treasured possessions. At one time he was drawing master at St. Matthew’s Technical School, Leeds. While in Leeds he invented a kiln for burning colours in glass, and the patent enjoyed a wide-spread popularity. He designed and built several houses in Pool including his home Fountain Villa, (Arthington Lane) Cranford & Elsinor on Mill Lane and Wharfe View. His son G. Aldi had “Sunlight Acetelyn Lighting” installing lighting in The Methodist Chapel, Plainville and The White Hart. Aldi, with his son Roland, maintained Pool Waterworks Co. and were electricians operating at various times from the old Pool Corn Mill, a shop on Church View and the old Methodist Chapel on Chapel Row.
After living in Harrogate for a number of years, Roland Tankard c. 85 years old, returned to the village in 2002 to marry his new wife. Late in life, at almost 90 years of age, in 2005, Roland became a member of Pool Parish Council and in 2009 planned the inclusion of a stained glass window in Pool’s St. Wilfrid’s Church in his grandfather’s memory, unfortunately this did not take place as he died 21st Dec. 2012.
WALBRAN Francis M. Born in Ripon and later lived in Pool. Was a keen fisherman and in 1895 published the fly fishing book “Grayling and How to Catch Them” in it he tells of Ambrose Cawood, river watcher, living and working at High Mill, Pool. The1887 census at the birth of son George Marston Walbran to Francis & Emily he is shown as a traveller.1891 census shows Francis M. Walbran aged 49 living at Ivy Cottage, (part of Pool Manor House) with his wife, 3 daughters and 2 sons, “being a fishing tackle manufacturer and sporting journalist”. In 1909 he drowned in the river Ure. His fishing tackle business was sold to M. Mitchell of Arthington, later of Pool
WHITELEY William Lumb J.P.(1863 – 24.12.1937) married Jane Holmes (b.29.1.1865) at Bolton Abbey Church on 9.5.1887. Along with his brothers, Benjamin and Samuel, was a founding member of B.S.&W.Whiteley Ltd., paper mill in 1886, when renting Low mill from executor of Michael Nicholson, his great nephew, Michael Nicholson Milthorp Snowdon. The brothers came from Skreholme nr. Burnsall, where Thomas Lumb had his paper mill. In 1906, when trade was bad at the Pool mill, William L.Whiteley became the sole member by buying out his brother Samuel, his other brother Benjamin had died on 13.8.1902. The mill eventually becoming prosperous he was able to purchase it from the Leeds Corporation Waterworks in 1918 for £3,000.
He had a long association with Wharfedale Rural District Council and sat on the Otley Bench of Magistrates, was President of Otley Rotary Club, Chairman of Bramhope District Education Committee, Pool Parish Council, and President of Otley St. John Ambulance Association, in 1937 he was sworn in as Justice of the Peace He built the Jane Whiteley Memorial Homes in 1933, in memory of his wife, gave the organ to Pool Methodist Church and was a benefactor to the Otley Methodist circuit. He gave 1,200 yards of land to St. Wilfrid’s churchyard also the large piece of land, known as Sim Ings, to be used as the village recreation ground. He had two sons William and Holmes who joined the company
(See “Mills” & Riverside Park” )
William Jnr. received the O.B.E. in the New Year honours list of 1965, he died at his home Riffa Manor on 11.9.67 aged 71. He demolished Caley Hall in 1964. He sold the land previously owned by the Railway company, for the building of Willow Court. Was Pool Parish Council Chairman for many years. In 1946 Whiteleys bought Clifton Estate, near Otley
Chas. Wm. Whiteley (son of Wm. Jnr) received the OBE in 1978, President of Leeds Chamber of Commerce and a long serving member of BEAMA (British Electrical and Allied Electrical Manufacturers Association). Fought in WW2 in the Rifle Brigade seeing action in Italy. Married Elsie and lived at Cartref, Otley Road.
Holmes Whiteley (1888 – 1965) He worked, until his retirement, for the family paper company at Low Mill. Holmes had two sons, John and David, who also continued in the business. He also had a daughter, Jean (Wood) who later lived at Leathley until her death in 2002. Holmes received the award for “services to the country in the capacity of Special Constable in May 1926 during the General Strike and awarded the Coronation Medal on 2nd June 1953 as “an inspector of the special constabulary of the Otley division in the W.R. of Yorkshire.”.
David Holmes Whiteley (18.1.1917-18.12.2004) He was the son of Holmes, joined the company in 1936, became a director in 1960. He married Lucy Davey and had a son Roger and daughter, Jane. Served in the RAF in WW2 mainly in Canada as an aircraft instructor. He was in the Country Players; member of the Building Committee for Pool Village Memorial Hall; Pool Parish Council from 1955 to becoming Chairman from 1967 to his retirement in 1982; elected to represent Otley & Wharfedale on the newly formed Leeds Council in 1974; member of the cricket club. Member of the Wharfedale Hospital Management Committee; Otley’s Disablement Advisory Committee, Yorkshire Water Authority; member of the Papermakers Association Safety Committee; Chairman of the Governors at Pool school. David Whiteley especially, assisted me in the compilation of facts connected with the paper mill. (see Amateur Dramatics)
William Stanley Whiteley born 1891.died of wounds received in action 3.11.1917. Son of Samuel Whiteley of B.S.&. W. Whiteley Ltd. mill. Gunner in West Riding Howitzer Brigade. Buried at Lyjssenthoek Military Cemetery, Ypes.. Was employed by National Telephone Company.
Thomas William Whiteley born 1883 killed in action in France 23.10.1918. Only son of Benjamin Whiteley of Whiteley’s mill. Private in Machine Gun Corps. (Infantry) 100th Bn. Died aged 35. Service No. 169994. Brother of Mrs. M. H. Barrett of Camp Farm. Bramhope. Native of Pool. Grave Ref. II.A.11. Buried in Highland Cemetery, Le Cateau, North France.
The Battle of Le Cateau 26th August 1914.
The town remained in German hands until the middle of October 1918. The original cemetery (Plot III) was made by the 50th (Northumbrian) Division after the fighting of 17 October; the name of Highland Cemetery is suggestive at once of the comparatively high ground on which it stands and of the 32 graves of the 13th (Scottish Horse) Battalion. (see Roll of Honour)
Details of Whiteley’s and the other mills in Pool-in-Wharfedale can be found in “Pool Mills”