INNS OF POOL
Dyneley Arms Inn . The boundaries of Pool-in-Wharfedale changed c.2010, bringing in this public house, named after the Dyneley family who moved to Bramhope Hall in the 16th century.. On map of 1847. Publican 1890 Ernest Movley.
6th Aug. 1880. “ A Drunken Typo. William Joseph Slack was brought up in front of Otley Police for driving 25 geese whilst drunk, owned by the landlord of the Dyneley Arms. “It transpired that the defendant who is very comfortably circumstanced, has for sometime past been addicted to the habits of intemperance and that his friends have done all in their power to wean him from his ruinous course, but has had no effect. Believing therefore that imprisonment in default of payment of the fine would have a salutary effect, they declined to pay the penalty of 5/- (25p.) and expenses. The defendant was therefore sentenced to 14 days imprisonment.”
Advert of 1910
HALF MOON INN appears to be shown on a map of 1756. It has a mullion window at ground level at entrance to the cellar as has Pool Farm cottage which is dated 1725. The stone fireplace c.1740 helps to date this old Inn. (P.Thornborrow).
In 1817 and 1818 meetings of the trustees of the Turnpike Road from Dudley Hill to Killinghall were held “at the house of Mr. Samuel Stead, the Half Moon Inn”. At the meeting of 1818 it was proposed that a Side Bar Gate or Chain would be placed at the end of Leathley-Bridge across the road leading towards Otley (other proposals see Leeds Mercury) Although built in 1754, Pool bridge had been widened in 1815.
In 1822 the Inn was owned by John Milthorp, farmer, maltster and Pool paper mill owner. (Low Mill). It, together with two closes of land called the Low Pastures, containing six acres or thereabouts in the occupation of Samuel Stead, were sold by auction by John Milthorp, held on 4th July 1823 and which stated Joseph Stead & Co. was a butcher. A “pining house” (place where beasts were placed for a day or so before slaughter) was situated at the rear of the Half Moon, demolished c. 1990. Also for sale by John Milthorp was the White Hart Inn. In 1864 the Half Moon had an ostler in Francis Yates John Milthorp lived at Pool House in 1822 (see Pool House Houses pre 1850)
By 1869 the Half Moon Inn had increased its land as it is recorded it was available to rent, “including 22 1/2 acres of excellent land, farming stock and produce at a fair valuation. Rent very reasonable.”
In 1847, during Pool Feast, a riot took place in both the Inn and the White Hart, caused by railway navvies,( see “Events of the Past)
The story told is that The Rev. A. E. Meredith, vicar of Pool from 1884-1898, objected to noise coming from the Half Moon. In 1894 he did in fact buy the Inn, some of the adjoining cottages and the land around it, renaming it the Half Moon Temperance Hotel. (confirmed a temperance hotel in 1904) which became later known as The Riverside Hotel. There was old sign “Temperance Hotel” still at top of cellar sin 2004). Mr. Reginald Fairburn, who had previously run the Corn Mill on Mill Lane, was the keeper of the hotel in the early 1900’s. He and his wife, Fanny also had a tea room there and provided bed and breakfast. It was about this time that Holmes Whiteley described “a confectionery business was started and real good eats they were”. Although having an injured leg, He had a bad accident with a horse and cart at the stone quarry round about 1911 when the wheels ran over him and he broke 5 ribs, pierced a lung and broke a leg, and he was left with only one lung. (Ashley Howard relative) Reginald Fairburn built a bowling green which backed on to Mill Lane taking two years to build. Advert of March 1910 reads “R. Fairburn, Half Moon Temperance Hotel. Large or small parties catered for. Field for bowls, cricket etc. etc. Cabs, Landaus and Waggonettes for hire. Hearse and Mourning carriages. General carting agent. All orders promptly executed.”
In 1923 the Inn and adjoining houses were bought by Samuel Foster, who also owned the North View Stores. opposite the White Hart.(SHP)He also built the Half Moon petrol station on the land. (now a car showroom 2017)
The “Hotel” was known as the Half Moon Café in 1948, selling hot luncheon and afternoon teas, “Now open for Wedding, Birthday or Bridge Parties”. After WW2 the bottom half was used as a café by Mrs. Wood (Gordon Wood’s mother) A full ham salad tea could be bought for 2/3d. (12p) which was popular with cyclists who parked round the back.
When Dr. John Metcalfe first arrived in Pool in 1955 to hold his surgery, it was still a temperance hotel. The waiting room was under the stairs! With the surgery being in a tiny room upstairs. When Dr. Metcalfe arrived the rent for holding the surgery was 12/6d per week. (John Metcalf). Pool practice had become part of the Bridge Street practice, Otley c.1912 with Dr. Hermon Wolfe as practitioner, retiring in 1953. It moved to the Church Room, on Mill Lane later to Methodist School Room on Main Street, in 1980. The surgery closed and moved to Bridge St., Otley on 28.4.1994, leaving the village without a surgery.
In March 1964 the Riverside Hotel applied for, and was granted, a license to sell alcohol so once again became a public house run by Jim Williams, reverting to its original name of The Half Moon Inn.
Some local lads nicknamed it the “MINI”, (the 1960’s era had miniskirts and Mini cars) as it was considered not to be a full pub. It had only one room with a bar in which to drink, which was down the step at the bottom. It is still known as “The Mini” by the locals. The rest of the downstairs was the doctors’ surgery, with waiting room under the stairs, (see John Metcalf’s description in Public Services”) a kitchen and a lounge. It was also nicknamed “Pocklington’s Palace” when run by Mrs. Pocklington. It was converted into the large pub of today in the mid 1970’s
The publicans in 2001 were Jim and Vicki Irvine. Jim informed me that there is a ghost which the previous publican had not told him about before he came into the pub. It turns off the pressure on the beer pumps in the cellar, turns on the T.V. at 3am in the guest bedrooms. On several occasions has turned on the shower, set off the burglar alarm and has been seen by them a number of times. It seems to be apparent when alterations are taking place. Strange happenings still occur. Renovated in 2003.
Newspaper cutting of “Riotous Days” The riot was in both the Half Moon and the White Hart during Pool Feast in August 1847. A copy of this is on the walls of the Half Moon together with several old photos of the village. (see Events of the Past)
Innkeepers: In 1817 (Turnpike Road mention of meeting to be held) Samuel Stead was victualler; 1830 Francis Stead; 1849 John Baldwin; 1851 (census) Thomas Calvert (died 1851 age 51) & wife Elizabeth; 1861 William Simpson (1808-1863) 1864 Ostler Francis Yates; 1881 Thomas Snowden & wife Sarah (census) 1881 John Baldwin McKenzie and 1883 William Brown. William Brown married Charlotte Ann McKenzie at St. Wilfrid’s Church on 18th Sept. 1882, his address at this time was “Bank Pool”. The Brown’s had a son Alec, born in 1884 and daughter 1886, both born in the pub. and christened in Pool Church. After leaving the Half Moon Mr. Brown worked at Pool Paper Mill. (Information from granddaughter Majorie -2002.). It has also been occupied by William & Ellen Shaw 1891. (census) F. G. Barkby- confectioner (1860-1900), Fairburn (c.1909) G. & F.Swales (SHP). Mrs. Pocklingson (c.1960) : Jim & Vicki Irvine (c. 2002 – 2012 ): Wharfe Bank Brewery 2012; Frederick Bell 2012-2015, After which various attempts are being made to re-open
Leeds Mercury “21st June, 1817. Turnpike Road. From Dudley Hill to Killinghall and the Southwest corner of Harrogate enclosures. Notice is hereby given that the next meeting of the trustees of the said Turnpike Road will be held at the House of Mr. Samuel Stead, the Half Moon Inn, in Pool on Friday the eleventh day of July next ad Eleven oclock in the Fornoon. Samuel Hailstone, Clerk to the Trustees. Bradford 20th June 1817
Leeds Mercury 18th July 1818 Dudley Hill & Killinghall Turnpike Road. The next meeting of the trustees of the said turnpike road will be held at the house of Mr. Samual Stead, the Half Moon Inn in Pool on Monday the 10th August next at which meeting it will be proposed that a Side Bar Gate or Chain shall be placed at the end of Leathley-Bridge across the road leading towards Otley, also that a Side Bar Gate or Chain shall be placed across the road leading from Dudley Hill toward Harrogate at the Four Lane Ends, near Old Bramhope in order that the tolls and duties authorised by the said Act of Parliament relating to such aforesaid Turnpike Road, may be taken and collected at such Side Bars, Gates or Chains, respectively. By Order Samuel Hailstone, Clerk to the said Trustees, Bradford July 1st 1818.”
Leeds Mercury July 10, 1847 ANCIENT ORDER OF ROMANS. On Monday last, the 14th annual congress of the above Order was held at the house of Mr. Thomas Calvert, the Half Moon Inn, Poole, near Otley
Leeds Mercury 21st July 1864 Stealing Ferrets at Pool, Near Otley. On Tuesday, three men named respectively Walter Marston, currier, Francis Ward and John Smith, laborers, all of Otley were brought before Mr. Billam and Mr. Dawson at the Police office in that town for examination of the charge of stealing on the 17th July last, four ferrets the property of Francis Yates, ostler at the Half Moon Inn, Pool.The prosecutor had five ferrets in the chamber of an outhouse and in the afternoon of that day in question he took the prisoners to look at them. The prisoners inquired if the ferrets were on sale, upon which the prosecutor said he had already disposed of them. About seven o’clock the same evening the prosecutor fed the ferrets and locked the door. Three hours later he found the door open and three of the ferrets taken away. Having got the assistance of two other men, they proceeded towards Otley and at about a mile on the road they found the prisoners sat by the wayside and the ferrets in a sack near them. Ward and Smith who said they had nothing to do with the robbery, were apprehended at the time by Police Constable Chadwick; Marston ran away but was taken custody at Otley, the same night. The prisoners were committed for three months each with hard labour.
Extracts from the Wharfedale and Airedale Observer, incorporating the Otley & Ilkley Guardian
28th Oct. 1881. Leathley Cricket Club. The annual supper in celebration of the close of the season took place at the Half Moon Inn on Saturday last. Members and friends partook of an excellent spread provided by Mr. & Mrs. McKenzie. The tables were afterwards cleared away and a well attended meeting was held. Great pride is due to Mr. John Watson who has shown some good cricket with both bat and ball. After the meeting members and friends sang several glees and songs and a hearty vote of thanks was accorded to Mr.& Mrs. McKenzie for their excellent catering.
Aug. 4th.1882 “The annual Feast (Pool) was celebrated during the early part of this week. Shooting galleries and the other country fair concomitants have been pretty busy. But the greatest feature this year was the presence of a number of ponies and donkeys which were put into requisition by the children. During Monday and Tuesday the animals were worked very hard.
On Monday a good number of people assembled in the Half Moon grounds to witness a number of sports which created considerable interest. The first race was a 200 yds. Handicap, the prize being a copper kettle, which was won by a very promising pedestrian named James Fox”. “The second race, 100 yds. Handicap – prize a silk handkerchief – after a re-run because of a three -way tie, was won by John Bland by a foot.”
2nd Feb. 1883. “The floods in Pool and district seem to have been fatal to many hundreds of rabbits and also to several otters. One of these latter animals sought refuge on Monday, in an orchard at the rear of the Half Moon Inn and was captured by Mr. Brown the landlord. It is living and weighs from 10 to 12 lbs.”
Arthington. “The land from Pool to Arthington Viaduct was one sheet of water and the Corn Mill was flooded.”
2003 The old Fox & Hounds, Chapel Row.
FOX AND HOUNDS is on the map of 1847 – a beer house (only licensed to sell beer not wines or spirits) This stood at the corner of Chapel Row and St. Wilfrid’s Terrace, dated mid 1700’s by Peter Thornborrow architectural historian. On the corner of the building were steps for mounting your horse and at one time the inn employed an ostler, Ridealgh. (A similar mounting stone, complete with brass direction plate is almost hidden by nettles to south of the Dynley traffic lights which was part of the route from Bradford to Killinghall when a “Ride & Tie” system operated i.e. two men would set out, one riding, one walking for a mile, then change places. It maybe this mounting stone which is approx a mile from the Dylney stone, was part of this system.) There was a well still in the cellar, which the present owners have recently filled it. (2001). It is now a private house. There are two cellars, each vaulted, The cellars of the adjacent cottages on St. Wilfrid’s Terrace were also vaulted and ran into the Fox & Hounds. The first two were shown to be there in a sale of property- Atkinson, Dacre. 1973. I am told this suggests they were all built at the same time as the Fox and Hounds and were most likely the stables which were attached to this coaching house. I have also been told that the cellars went under the road to emerge at the Manor House, an arch, which was filled in recently goes to the centre of the main road. The fact there was a cellar suggests they may have brewed their own ale.
In 1894 the Rev. A.E.Meridith, then vicar of St. Wilfrid’s, leased the pub. from M.N.M. Snowdon (Plainville/Park House/Monkmans, now demolished is The Hollies) acting as executors for Michael Nicholson, to be used as a Parish Room.(H.Speight). It has never reverted to a public house.
Obviously I have not met anyone who has visited the Fox and Hounds although Kendal Newby can remember after a day’s visit to Leeds by train, his father would call there for a drink before returning home to Leathley.
Innkeepers In 1841 & 1851 census *Mary Greaves was the beerseller with son George, ostler. In 1849 it was owned by the Greaves family and occupied by John Shires, Wm. Shires in 1861 who was also a butcher in 1861 Jabez Greaves and George Crawshaw (there on 1881 census, with wife Cecelia) were the last two publicans.
* In Sept.1888 Mary Greaves, along with her sister and brother came into an inheritance on the death of their father Charles Greaves.(deeds) The Greaves family were related to Rhodes of Creskeld Hall and Bramhope Hall. Mary Greaves also built Farfield House on Arthington Lane c. 1849. George owned1-3 & 6 Park Buildings
Extracts from Wharfedale Observer
13th June 1883. “Accident to Boy”. On Wednesday night of last week an accident befel John Robert Ridealgh, a youth in the casual employ of Mr. George Crawshaw of the Fox and Hounds in Pool, when taking a horse to grass in a field near High Mill. It appears the lad was in the act of reaching up to take the blinders off the animal (which is remarkably docile) when it accidentally placed its foot upon his ankle and broke his leg near the calf. He was immediately taken to his home in the village and the limb was attended to by Mr. G.H.L.Rickard. He was afterwards removed to the Leeds Infirmary and we are glad to learn he is improving rapidly.” (Details of Rickard in Families)
14th Sept. 1883 Otley Police Court. “Furious Driving at Pool “John Nundell of the Wharfedale Hotel Arthington was charged with furiously driving on the highway at Arthington on the 24th ult. And also being drunk whilst he was engaged. James Myers, farmer and Matthew Oldstones proved the first charge and several witnesses were called to prove that the defendant was drunk. This charge however fell through. For the furious driving charge the defendant was fined 20 shillings and costs. (This of course would be either on a horse or horse and trap.)
WHITE HART was originally a 10 acre farm with large outbuildings and stabling for about 12 horses with a granary above. In 1871 employed an ostler. (left photo of c.1900 above, the man in the background is thought to be Stephen Kaye, founder of Kaye’s wood yard which stood opposite, before the building of Hall Farm and before moving to Arthington Lane in 1902) on land now the Hollies a small housing estate c. 2001
An auction held on 4th July 1823 when the White Hart Inn, 2 closes of land, Ellershaw Close and The Croft, garden and buildings measuring approx. 10 acres, whilst in the occupation of Richard Bickerdike was for sale by John Milthorp. At that time the White Hart was a farm owned by John Milthorp who had been living at Pool House. (Leeds Mercury 14th June 1823 on computer for full details.) During the sale of contents of Pool House was a quantity of malt, malt kiln, brewing vessels and barrels. He also owned The Half Moon Inn. This suggests he brewed and supplied ale for both of his inns. Pool Farm Cottage, behind Stocks Hill, was believed to be an early malting house as the occupier in 1730, John Fourniss, is described as a maltster .(brewer)
John Milthorp (1768-1847) and father, William also uncle John (1725-1778) owned several farms in Pool, Arthington and Leathley, i.e. the White Hart and Half Moon, Pool. The Low mill paper mill had originally been a farm owned by the Milthorps and Maudes. The Land Tax Returns of 1781 show Edmund Maud and William Milthorp Snr. owned the Low Mill, paper mill. Records in Otley church registers show Low Mill was washed away by a flood in 1673 and suggest it was originally a fulling mill. Another Milthorp farm was roughly in the area behind Weideman Whiteley paper mill. (Award map for OPB 1774)
There were two mistals which belonged to the White Hart, in the row of cottages known as “Fatticake Row” or Old Post Office Row, demolished 1972. These lined Main Street, west of the pub where Wharfedale Court is now built.
1861 March 1st. The first meeting of the Wharfedale Board of Guardians was held in the White Hart. Matthew Whitaker Thompson was elected first Chairman appointed by the Poor Law Board for Law Union, with J.D. Holdforth of Caley Hall and F. H. Fawkes of Farnley Hall amongst the guardians. Mr. John Milthorp was elected vice-chairman. The Yorkshire Banking Company were appointed to act as treasurers to the Union.
In 1874 the first meeting of the Wharfedale Union, following the original Poor Law Act of 1601, was held here with Matthew Whitaker Thompson appointed Chairman of the Board of Guardians. (Little Town of Otley) The headquarters was in Otley formed in 1861. The workhouse was at Newall part of the former Otley Hospital.
After the sale of Pool House at an auction on 4th July 1823, this, the White Hart and other properties in the village were sold to the Stott family. The death is recorded on 8th April 1839 “On Tuesday, at Poole near Otley. Mrs. Nowell Stott relict of the late Nowell Stott Esq. of Manchester. It remained in their ownership until 1922 when it was bought by Tower Brewery, Tadcaster.
“White Hart Inn Farm” was owned by Miss Susannah Stott who died on 11th April 1873 and inherited by her cousin Miss Susannah Greene Stott who lived at Pool House and died in 1883. In 1922 the “White Hart Inn Farm” was being rented from Pool House, (often referred to as the “Mansion House”, under the ownership of the Stanhopes, (again obtained through inheritance) “with buildings, garden and orchard containing in all about half an acre” to the publican of the time, Daniel Byford as tenant at and annual rent of £80.” (deeds and map.) The map, above, of the “White Hart Inn Farm” dated 1922 in the Stott deeds, has a pencil date of 1857. (Michael Nicholson of Pool paper mill 1753-1858 owned the Milthorp property after the death of John Milthorp in 1847.)
The Tythe map of 1849 confirms that Miss Stott was the owner of Pool House, with William Ockerby farming the land. Miss Stott appears to have let Pool House to several people, including William Austin who died there in 1871 (gravestone).
The 1841 census shows Eliza Beanland as innkeeper. The 1849 tythe map shows Joseph Hearfield as occupier of what is now the White Hart whilst the 1851 census shows William Ockerby as inn keeper at White Hart Inn.
During the laying of the foundation stone for Arthington Viaduct (then known as Wharfdale Viaduct) in 1846, a large flag waving procession, headed by a band left the White Hart (Mrs. Beanland vitualler) to be met at Arthington by another procession from Bramhope. After the laying of the three and half ton foundation stone on the Castley side of the viaduct, the procession returned to the White Hart where the navvies were given food and twelve large barrels of “Fine English ale”, by the contractor James Bray.(P.130 Arthington Viaduct). In 1847, during Pool Feast a riot took place in both the Inn and the Half Moon caused by railway navvies, see P. 85.
The interesting photo left c.1900, shows one of the large stable/granary at the east side, alongside the Bar House on Arthington Lane. Around 1915 Mic McGinty, an Irish tramp, would often sleep there en-route to Wetherby. His “home” was the workhouse in Otley, he would be given a cup of tea and a sandwich by the Davys who lived in Park Buildings or from the Midgleys’ who lived next to the “middle shop”, now the pharmacy.
In 1847 a riot took place involving the navvies from the railway. (see “Events of the Past”.
In 1908 G.A. Tankard of Pool installed a Sunlight Acetylene Generator. A letter of thanks from Syd. Taylor of the White Hart to Mr Tankard reads,”I am pleased to say the Gas plant you put down for me is working very well and economically. I also find it far better than lamps also much cleaner and less trouble. As for the light, there is no comparison as to the candle power.”
Interesting photo of White Hart near Stocks Hill, showing stone column, at junction of New Pool Bank and Arthington Lane, this was demolished c.1900to make way for vehicles to pass by. (A similar stone column is near the bus stop outside Pool House. Is this the same one?) The extreme east end of the pub was added in 1998. Part of the inn was rebuilt after a kitchen fire at Christmas 2016.
There are two photos showing charabancs outside the White Hart leaving on “men only ” trips in 1920 and 1924. These trips continue today (2011) but recently from the Half Moon Inn.
Until c.1936 the cricket field was at the back of the pub., now Millcroft estate, which served the teams’ teas from an ornate summer house, made from wood set at various angles and with stained glass windows, possibly made by Kayes woodyard on Arthington Lane. There was a lovely garden at the back, whilst the front had two small garden areas either side of the entrance, surrounded by wooden railings where nasturtiums grew, “they looked lovely although they didn’t smell very nice but better than that awful beer. (Molly Tindall) and “but they were eaten bare by caterpillars” (Roland Tankard). The small front garden area can still be seen in the pavement.
For many years during the mid 1900’s Pool Angling Club used an upstairs room as their clubroom, the walls of which were covered in glass cases displaying stuffed fish and birds.
In 1937 for the Coronation celebrations the village organised a procession which went passed the mill and turned at the White Hart to return to a field west of the mill. See video
“Around 1924/5 Tower Ales, a Tadcaster Brewery, sold light and dark beer “very good”. c.1930 John Abrahams ran a taxi service and he garaged his taxi in the outhouses. During WW2 in case of invasion, plans for sewage, burials and a mortuary were made for the White Hart, St. Wilfrid’s Church and Methodist School Room. A Nissen hut was erected to the west side in the car park. This was used for the Home Guard. At the end of the war, after an exhibition of photos. taken after the liberation of the Belsen Concentration Camp, grown men were seen leaning on the wall in tears. The hut was then advertised for sale and in Nov. 1945 Old Pool Bank village considered buying it and transporting it to be used as their village hall, this did not materialise.
Inn keepers: Richard Bikerdyke 1821(Bains Directory) Richard Bickerdyke 1759 died 1829, age 70, wife Mary died 1818 aged 64: Eliza Beanland (“Innkeeper” 1841 census); Miss Susannah Stott(owner living at Pool House): William Ockerby 1847 & 1851 (census); Joseph Hearfield 1849, Andrew Proctor 1861: B. Mallinson 1865; John E. Buckley from 1865 (on 1871 census employing an ostler): Thomas Lodge 1874-1894,(where he died, married Clara Denton (see photo), Eva & Harry Denton’s great great grandmother:) James B. Hardacre, from 1896 (see photo) and his daughter Mrs Taylor: 1904 (see photo) W.H. Hobart; Daniel Byford 1916.; Harold Byford c. 1926: A. Slesser from 1928 in 1922 the property was bought from John Milthorp by either John Smith’s Tadcaster Brewery Co or Tower Brewery.: Mr Albert Cannon,(1950’s?) carried on by his daughter Audrey Canon. Albert Cannon was at the Wharfedale Hotel before coming to the White Hart. 1960’s Dick & Ann Wilson.1970’s Wilf & Dee.
1891 census shows Richard Myers being the domestic servant and ostler when Thomas Lodge was innkeeper with Harry Denton son-in-law, shuttlemaker living there with his wife Clara & their daughter Ada Mary barmaid, and Sarah Ann as cook, also grandson Harold. Members of the Denton family still live on Castley Lane in 2017.
Leeds Mercury 14th June 1823 (This was included in the sale by John Milthorp of Pool House)
THE WHITE HART PUBLIC HOUSE, situate in Pool aforesaid in the Occupation of Richard Bickerdike, with outbuildings and Appurtenances thereunto belonging, together with two closes of land
therewith occupied and containing in like measure the several quantities hereinafter mentioned or thereabouts that is to say
The Croft including garden and buildings 4 3 1
Ellershaw Close 5 2 37
10 1 38 acres
Leeds Mercury 5th October 1858. ANCIENT ORDER OF ROMANS FRIENDLY SOCITY. The officers and members of No.31 Senate of the above order, celebrated their eighteenth anniversary yesterday (Monday) at the White Hart Inn, Poole, near Otley. The members walked in procession, accompanied by the Poole Brass Band to the church, where an excellent discourse was preached by the Rev. W. J. Ridsdale, M.A. At the close of the sermon the members dined together in the lodge room. From the report of the secretary it appears that the Senate is in a very prosperous condition and is doing a great amount of good in the neighborhood.
Advert: 29th April 1865. Leeds Mercury. White Hart Inn, Pool, Wharfedale three minutes’ walk from the Station. Bottled and Draught Ales and Stout. Refreshments on the shortest notice. Choice Wines, Trout fishing in the River Wharfe adjoining. Well aired Beds. B. Mallinson, Proprietor.
York Herald 2nd Oct. 1847 Conviction – A man who gave the name of John Thompson, was charged before F. H. Fawkes, Esq., at Farnley Hall, on Monday last with stealing potatoes, the property of Mr. W. Ockerby, of the White Hart Inn, Pool near Otley – For some time past Mr. Ockerby’s field has been entered and potatoes taken away; however on Saturday night last he watched and caught the prisoner, who was ordered to pay 20s. or stand committed to Wakefield for a month.
Leeds Mercury 19th April 1851`County Court – On Monday last, a Court for the Otley district was held in the Court-house, Otley before John Hamerton, Esq., deputy judge. The cause list was one of the smallest ever known at Otley. A jury cause, Pullein v. Ockerby, excited some interest. The plaintiff is a farmer at Pool, near Otley and the defendant is an innkeeper at the same place. A few weeks ago the cattle of the plaintiff strayed upon the land of the defendant when the latter, it was stated, used dogs to get them out. The stock appeared to have been so roughly used, that two of the beasts, as was alleged by the plaintiff soon after picked their calves and a third was injured. The plaintiff claimed for the damage sustained by him as the move mentioned £13.10s. Mr. Barrett appeared for the plaintiff and Mr. Bond of Leeds, was for the defendant. The jury returned a verdict for the plaintiff, damaged £6. (Pulleins were Lords of the Manor with Ockerby being the landlord of the White Hart Inn Farm)
Extracts from “Timble Man” by Ronald Harker. –Hendon Publishing.
1878 Wed. July 3rd. “Down to Pool. A fair day. Got four three penny whiskys and several bitter ales. Registered four births and one death. One of the births occurred at Caley Lodge on the road and the mother was removed to the workhouse where she arrived when I was there. “
1878 “Off to Pool by 7. Called on Homeses at Swinsty “ A wet walk to Pool. Sat two hours at the White Hart. Got three whiskeys hot”.
1898 Sept.15th Weighed seven hams and took them in trap for the landlord of the White Hart at Pool, price 9½ d. per lb
Leeds Mercury 19th Sept. 1877 On SALE, a stack of well-won HAY about 148 yards. Price either by stack, measurement or weight at a very reasonable rate. Address Mr. Lodge, Poole, near Otley (White Hart Inn)
Extracts from the Wharfedale Observer.
1882 Oct. 6th Anniversary of the Wharfedale Sick Benefit Society held its 5th annual meeting at the White Hart Inn. Members met in the Lodge room and then walked in procession to a service held in the church by Rev. R.P.D. Bainbridge. On returning and after the election of offices and other minor business, they returned to the Lodge room for a substantial meal provided by Mr. and Mrs. Lodge and the singing of glees, duets and songs, etc. “The catering was all that could be desired”.
13th June 1883. Pool “Miraculous Escape”. “Whilst a party of excursionists 15 or 16 in number from Leeds were proceeding round the sharp curve on the Pool Road, nearly opposite the White Hart Hotel, Pool on Sunday last, a waggonette in which they were riding was capsized by the sudden turn and the occupants precipitated into the middle of the road. Beyond the fright and a few bruises the party escaped unhurt but had to return home by train.”